Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2010 13:00

Streak Froyo Update Performance Feedback - For All Updated Units

Hi Folks,

I've received feedback that the FAQ post has gotten too hard to follow because of individual complaints/requests for the update. So I am starting this new thread to strictly collect feedback on post Froyo update performance issues/bugs.

If you have already upgraded to the latest 3.18 (unlocked) or 3.19 (O2 locked) versions of Dell Froyo and you have a consistent issue or bug, please post it here.  Please include which version of Froyo you have, what you have done to troubleshoot the issue and if you have already tried a factory restore.

First consideration will be given to those issues/bugswhich affect more than one person and that we can duplicate.

Thanks,

Amy

1 Message

January 10th, 2011 05:00

Hi Amy,

I use a french Streak (baseband GAUSB1A131800-EU, build 12821) and have a few problems:

• No access to WiFi channels above 11 (12 & 13 are OK in France); this has already been signaled here by an UK user.
  • Vocal recognition does not work, no matter what language is selected. It did work quie well in 1.6. Please note that Google-based vocal recognition also works.
  • I sometime have to take my battery off in order to reboot the Streak. I don't know if things are related but, as seen with Astro, the contents of the /firstboot/lost+found directory seems very strange, with weird file names and many recursive references.

I hope this will help you to make a better build, as soon as possible ;-)

Remi

January 13th, 2011 04:00

Thanks for the ideas will try asap, ive one a couple more system restores and it stays on now but logservice still keeps crashing the phone. everything else is fine except for the phone, very frustrating when you have a heavily pregnant wife and you waiting for calls.

January 14th, 2011 02:00

Ive tried downloading the official 2.2 to re flash but it wont verify with the ota server so that wont work. if a sytystem restore wont work and iI cant re flash, what othe options are there other than returning the handset? it is still usless as a phone logservice keeps taking it out.

8 Posts

January 14th, 2011 18:00

version 318

1. it always freezes when turned from portrate to landscape and landscape to portrate about 1 min the screen is only left with the background picture

2. battery life is short compare to 2.1/1.6 with nothhing switched on, just on standby and phone calls

3. sometimes unresponsive (the lock) when phonecalls come in

4.won't able to talk to the person u called or when recieve calls when battery is low like say 20% u can hear them but they won't hear u.

5.always accidentaly pulled the information bar/quick swipe menu access

6.the speed of respond to touch/hard button is slower than 2.1/1.6 always need to press twice

7.Lack of icon space, the 1.6/2.1 have done a great job to utilize the 5inch screen, though this 2.2 release only allow u to put a few icons.... i prefer seperate screen for each page than overlapping them ,though the background can stay the same as now, i like how it scrolls right and left with just only 1 background picture

8.Camera shutter respond is slow... need to hold long time be4 it take pictures.

9. dunno if its a bug, but the screen even turn upside down in lanscape

10. can't send or recieve anything through bluetooth through computer without installing apps

11. the music named in traditional chinese, korean and japanese is messed up and with english it ate the "O" if its the starting letter

12. accuweather causes the whole thing to crash and force close leading to jumping out messages every 5min and facebook/twitter widgit non user friendly....

13*. can we have a blank stage screen so we can pull icons into it? i very much liked the design XD though i think the stage can be a little bit bigger and transparent XD

so far other than that its all gd thx and hope can have a performance and bug fix in the future like say 2.2.1 or even 2.3  X]

ps though have seen people using moded roms and got the performance to score upto 1530 compare to the official rom only scored 815 in qurdrant....  i think theres still places that the official rom can be improved, dunno if its possible

thx again if dun have much time just concentrate on underline ones they're more important that others

119 Posts

January 14th, 2011 23:00

version 318

1. it always freezes when turned from portrate to landscape and landscape to portrate about 1 min the screen is only left with the background picture

2. battery life is short compare to 2.1/1.6 with nothhing switched on, just on standby and phone calls

3. sometimes unresponsive (the lock) when phonecalls come in

4.won't able to talk to the person u called or when recieve calls when battery is low like say 20% u can hear them but they won't hear u.

5.always accidentaly pulled the information bar/quick swipe menu access

6.the speed of respond to touch/hard button is slower than 2.1/1.6 always need to press twice

7.Lack of icon space, the 1.6/2.1 have done a great job to utilize the 5inch screen, though this 2.2 release only allow u to put a few icons.... i prefer seperate screen for each page than overlapping them ,though the background can stay the same as now, i like how it scrolls right and left with just only 1 background picture

8.Camera shutter respond is slow... need to hold long time be4 it take pictures.

9. dunno if its a bug, but the screen even turn upside down in lanscape

10. can't send or recieve anything through bluetooth through computer without installing apps

11. the music named in traditional chinese, korean and japanese is messed up and with english it ate the "O" if its the starting letter

12. accuweather causes the whole thing to crash and force close leading to jumping out messages every 5min and facebook/twitter widgit non user friendly....

13*. can we have a blank stage screen so we can pull icons into it? i very much liked the design XD though i think the stage can be a little bit bigger and transparent XD

so far other than that its all gd thx and hope can have a performance and bug fix in the future like say 2.2.1 or even 2.3  X]

ps though have seen people using moded roms and got the performance to score upto 1530 compare to the official rom only scored 815 in qurdrant....  i think theres still places that the official rom can be improved, dunno if its possible

thx again if dun have much time just concentrate on underline ones they're more important that others

For most of those items I offer this:  Have you or did you try a factory reset after installing the update?  It will probably help with some of the issues namely: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12

To try an fix touchscreen sensitivity or response try this: http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/10/how-to-calibrate-dell-streak-touchscreen.html

Dell can't fix the facebook or twitter widget being "non-user friendly"  if you don't like them then find a different facebook or twitter app/widget on the marketplace and use those.  The built in ones are the default for the facebook and twitter applications they are not Dell's applications. Unless you are talking about the Stage Twitter and Facebook widgets, which in that case just use the regular facebook/twitter ones and remove the stage social networking widget.

As for #7 use a different launcher instead of Stage such as launcher Pro or ADW launcher they will allow you to have more screen real estate to use.  For #13 you can remove the stage widgets on one of the homescreens to put icons on it.  but again I think you will be much happier with launcher pro or ADW launcher.

18 Posts

January 20th, 2011 05:00

How many people have to reply to this post before Dell Responds to the simple question, Will there be some sort of update to 2.2. Can Dell not just give us an answer of any kind like, we are working on it or something! Dell, Please say something, give us all some idea about what is happening.

15 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 00:00

Hi Amy.

I'm assuming this thread is still relevant. I'm having problems with unlocking my Streak since the update to 2.2. On occasion, the unlock 'bar', that you drag up, only goes a short way, then bounces back. The only way to unlock the device is to turn the screen off again, wait approx. 10 seconds, then try again. I've reset my device, and calibrated my screen (which, for the first few attempts, failed on the second section).

More info here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19360578.aspx

Kind regards,

Peter.

119 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 01:00

Hmm sorry to hear that.  I havent had quite the issue you are having.  A quick screen recalibration fixed my lcd quirks.  Perhaps you have a bad unit.  I would hate to have to send it back though after hearing all the delayed orders and stuff.  I do wonder if its a software or hardware issue with yours.  I take it you haven't tried flashing DJ_Steves StreakDroid rom or installing the performance mod for stock 2.2 just to compare?

119 Posts

Hi Amy.

I'm assuming this thread is still relevant. I'm having problems with unlocking my Streak since the update to 2.2. On occasion, the unlock 'bar', that you drag up, only goes a short way, then bounces back. The only way to unlock the device is to turn the screen off again, wait approx. 10 seconds, then try again. I've reset my device, and calibrated my screen (which, for the first few attempts, failed on the second section).

More info here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19360578.aspx

Kind regards,

Peter.

You said you reset the device but did you factory reset?

15 Posts

Hi Spectre51.

Yes, it was a factory reset. I've done several, actually, and this problem always returns.

15 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 02:00

Well, there's another person (in the linked thread) who is / was also having that problem. Whether that's still the case or not, I don't know. 

I didn't have this problem with the 1.6 release (although the unlock method was different), and it is the only touch-interface quirk I have. I haven't tried any unofficial ROMs as yet.

10 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 07:00

I posted the one above with reference to the post from camdbug

10 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 07:00

The reason I am responding to this post is that I have had same issues as quoted in post above. I have had the same issue as No. 4 pointed above on the post.

I am on Kernel 2.6.32.9-perf/Build 12332. I am in India and been facing this problem since December. I went ahead and returned the phone for replacement.

Now I have bigger issue with the new dell streak. I am facing the issue no.2 listed above along with the phone getting stuck with the once the call ends. It hangs at the point where I can see - "End", "Add Call" etc... I have to restart the phone before I can use it again.

I was happy with the phone but with the above problem I am very frustrated and considering moving for another phone. I hope Dell/Android will be able to resolve these issues

10 Posts

February 12th, 2011 13:00

I finally returned my Dell Streak back. The phone keeps hanging and sometimes restarts itself which is annoying. I am not going to come to Dell on the smartphones.

1 Message

March 1st, 2011 08:00

hi just upgraded to the 2.2 os. looks different and managed to find all the stuff again. dont think i'll have a problem once i get used to it again. BUT and its a big BUT. Why is the camera now pants? the old camera would let me adjust the settings including the size and quality of the picture. Since the 'upgrade' I no longer have that option available. It WAS quite a good outdoor camera prior to the upgrade so what has happened? Why is it different? can the old camera software be reinstalled? It has disappointed me as the camera is important to me, more so than the very good music player.

johnnie

No Events found!