Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2011 09:00

Streak Sometimes screen unresponsive?

This seems to happen whenever I play music then put the dell in my pocket, and only when playing music after taking out from pocket after listening to music for a while, the screen becomes totally unresponsive, I have to turn the power button on to turn the screen off several times. Each time I do this I have to touch the screen a couple of times, to make it slightly responsive, then each time I turn off the screen, then turn it back on again the screen becomes a little more responsive until after about 6 or so times it comes on completely again, and once the keylock pattern has been achieved the phone works great.

What is the problem? I tried to contact them but every time i tried to go to the email technical support, it just sends me round in ircles and never actually get to an email address I can send a message to. 

As a side note apart from this minor issue the streak is nothing short of amazing!!:emotion-2:

15 Posts

January 9th, 2011 20:00

I have sometimes had problems unlocking the Streak (Froyo). I try and slide the bar up but it only goes part way then springs back. I too have to switch the screen on / off a few times to get it back.

I did another factory reset yesterday. If that hasn't fixed it I'll try and see if it's music related.

January 10th, 2011 07:00

yeah thats exactly it, the screen is kinda working, but it doesn't fully work and the screen switch on/off method gradually rectifys it. Its just annoying really I don't think it is a music thing, because I've listen to music loads of times when the phone is lay flat on a surface and it doesn't do it, when its in my pocket it does it everytime. I think maybe its an accelerometer problem, because the only time it did it without me listening to music was when the phone was upright like it is when its in my pocket, for quiet a while. Maybe the phone conflicts with something when its upright for a while, i know people have said the same when making calls, and the phone is upright then too.

6 Posts

January 16th, 2011 06:00

You need to calibrate the screen guys. Don't know why its not in the manual, but hold both the volume up and volume down buttons while you power up - then follow the prompts. It works perfectly after that - you'll be amazed!

15 Posts

February 2nd, 2011 22:00

Unfortunately calibrating the screen doesn't fix the problem. I've done a 'factory' reset of the device, and calibrated the screen, but it's still exhibiting the problems with the lock screen. I don't have a solution, but switching the screen off for 10 seconds or so, then back on generally allows me to unlock it.

73 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 08:00

I also have that problem and it only happens when the Streak is in my pocket. I usually face the screen towards my leg for added protection against bumps. When I face it away the screen unlocks without a hitch even though it's been in my pocket. Towards my leg and it does that spring back thing. Generally if I just wait 10 to 30 seconds the screen will start responding to my touch.

I wish I knew how to get the unlock for the phone back to a long hold of one of the home button.

1 Message

February 4th, 2011 08:00

I've tried calibrating the screen and tried a factory reset. It does feel like a calibration problem, but sadly that doesn't help.

This is always an issue for me when I've had the Streak in the official Dell leather case in my bag. More often than not I have to turn the device off and reboot it to get it working properly again - switching it off it easier said than done when you have to press two on-screen buttons with a non-responsive screen - I have had to resort to popping the battery cover a couple of times.

Even when I manage to unlock the screen, trying to enter text with Swype is an experience that would lead you towards suicide.

When it's been sitting on my desk with the case's kick stand (i.e. with nothing in contact with the screen) it works just fine. Unlocking the screen and using Swype is absolutely fine.

This is a huge problem and genuinely puts me off using the Streak because I know I can't pull it out and rely on it when I need it.

February 5th, 2011 09:00

yeah mines exactly the same when in my pocket, if I turn it with the screen outwards it doesn't do it and if I put the screen inwards it does, proper stupid!!

3 Posts

February 7th, 2011 07:00

I am having the same problems with unresponsive screen but it's not because of any music player but more so after I get done with a call. I had the pattern unlock active and it would not produce any input after a call.

I never had any problems prior so I am wondering if it's something I installed. Does anyone have poweramp installed?

Going to do more testing to find out the problem is software related, if its not then I will have to do a RMA and get a replacement since this is very annoying having to take out my battery.

I've also did the screen calibration.

February 7th, 2011 10:00

hey I do have poweramp installed, however it isn't a music player problem, its just I noticed it happening when it was in my pocket when I listen to music, it does the same thing when in pocket with screen facing inwards when not listening to music too.

9 Posts

February 9th, 2011 04:00

M facing the same problem with unlocking / receiving the call. Screen calibration / reset are of no help. It is very irritating!

5 Posts

February 9th, 2011 08:00

Same here with stock AT&T 1.6.  It must be a heat issue involving the screen.  Maybe Dell should check this out.  You wouldn't think that a temperature of 98.6 would cause the screen to not function properly.  I ended up messing around with it and tried to turn it off and back on and that failed then it eventually rebooted. I don't know what is happening with it but it should be looked at.

13 Posts

February 10th, 2011 08:00

I believe the problem is this... Because you keep the Streak in your pocket, it becomes charged with static electricity, which prevents the screen from detecting your fingers on the screen. I've had this problem quite a lot, but since I've started putting the device in my inner coat pocket (which doesn't seem to rub the screen) or just on my desk, I haven't had this issue again.

Btw, my friend has a Samsung Galaxy S with exactly the same issue. For him, solution was the same...

1 Message

March 12th, 2011 02:00

Yes, this is a conceptual problem; you can return as many devices you want, upgrade to android ver 1000 or even recalibrate every hour, it won't fix the problem.

The dell streak was not made to stay into a pocket; as it was said in this thread, static eletricity or even maybe temperature affect the screen in a way the phone is not usable anymore after pulling it out, for a period that can last two or three minutes. I have missed countless of calls since i bought this phone.

IF there was a solution, Dell would have answered. There is no solution

This is a major issue  that makes you regret having purchased this device. Either you try to live with it, or you return the device because it simply does not work properly.

1 Message

March 17th, 2011 02:00

as what u mention about, put in the pocket will make the phone unresponsive, then how about put on the table? i dont think its the static electricity problems also. I face the same problems which the login screen not working properly, even i just put it on the table, i think its cause by some software problems, until today, we still not seeing dell release any solutions for this problems, its make alot of troubles for login..... :emotion-12:

1 Message

March 23rd, 2011 16:00

The best solution I have found to work best when your screen is unresponsive is to:

1. Turn the backlight off (press power button)
  2. Run the palm of your hand up and down the screen 2-3 times
  3. Turn backlight back on

That is it!

An annoyance for sure but a simple solution to discharge the static electricity.

No Events found!