St. Lamar
2 Iron

RE: Subpar stylus technology on the Dell Venue Pro 8

Mine seems to be working as well as expected, or at least working as well as I am. emoticon.Cool.title

In general, I wish they'd put a mechanical on-off switch on the top of the pen. I'd love to pull it out, click the top, and start writing. Of course, you have to hold your tongue just right when doing this.

0 Kudos
xyo
1 Copper

The pressure sensitivity is also awful so I had to turn it off.

Just wondering how you disabled pressure sensitivity? It's the biggest issue I have at the moment as it's all over the place in OneNote.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
skmerrow
2 Iron

I have the latest revision and it stinks A01.  It works for a bit and then almost as if it goes to sleep and I need to open remove battery, reinsert battery and it then works for a few minutes and then I need to repeat.  The battery mus be draining as it reads .92.  I have only used for an hour or so on 2 days and I think I will return it.  Odd thing is it is OOS everywhere, even Dell.  If it is such a great replacement why is it that it can't be found?

Mikerman
3 Zinc

Odd thing is it is OOS everywhere, even Dell.  If it is such a great replacement why is it that it can't be found?

Despite what the Dell website has been saying, the revision stylus has been available there and shipping immediately, as others have posted.  The Dell website's inventory control and reporting is poor. 

0 Kudos
larsenmm
1 Nickel

Just for your information there is another thread showing some problems which still exists with the new revision A01 http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19566791.aspx The new A01 stylus might be much better than the old A00, but I personally have experienced some inconsistency with its connectivity which I find highly frustrating when it happens. At times it makes the pen unusable. However, just 10 min ago when I did a 1/4 A4 page of hand writing there was no problems at all. BR Martin

Dell Venue 11 Pro user

0 Kudos
Roscoe76
1 Copper

I have the latest revision and it stinks A01.  It works for a bit and then almost as if it goes to sleep and I need to open remove battery, reinsert battery and it then works for a few minutes and then I need to repeat.  The battery mus be draining as it reads .92.  I have only used for an hour or so on 2 days and I think I will return it.  Odd thing is it is OOS everywhere, even Dell.  If it is such a great replacement why is it that it can't be found?

0.92 volts?  Yours seems to very messed up as having to unscrew it that often is surely not even close to expected performance.  Though, can you rule out the battery wasn't already that drained to start?  Say you got a bad battery and it has never performed due to that.  I would think it is way below usable voltage at 0.92 volts, though who knows for an AAAA.  I just measured some "dead" AAA batteries and they were 1.06 volts.  Some dead AA's were 0.97 volts.

I've used my stylus about a week, every day off and on with very long pauses in between usage.  The battery read 1.41 v when I just checked so seems to be holding up ok.

On the availability, mine was shipped in 5 days.  So wasn't immediate, but also wasn't 1-2 weeks.

0 Kudos
St. Lamar
2 Iron

Hi, SKMERROW. I thought you might be interested. Over at the TR forums, some of us are having a conversation about how to conserve the battery and things that work. If you have any doubts, it will at least show you that your experience is not typical. You need to get Dell to send you a replacement stylus.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/61651-dv8p-active-stylus-battery-conservation-tips-avoid-auto-b...

0 Kudos
capecrs
1 Nickel

I discovered a trick to get the eraser to work in OneNote 2013 with the Dell stylus 100% of the time.  Put the pen tip down as if to start writing, then press the eraser button.  To get it to switch back to writing you need to make sure to lift the pen far enough from the screen so that palm rejection is no longer active.

I've tried this over and over with every possible timing of stylus touch/button press I can think of with no success.  The button works fine in the metro app, so I know it's not a hardware issue.  Anyone else tried this?

I wouldn't even mind as much if I could get the pen flicks to work in OneNote so I could just flick undo.  But again, I think this is a Microsoft issue, not Dell/synaptic. 

On another note... the little dot under my stylus during hovering just disappeared.  I was in the middle of reviewing and marking up some notes and it just stopped showing up. Everywhere, not just in OneNote.  I tried restarting and it's still missing.  It gets even weirder because as I'm typing this I connected to my slim keyboard to type, checked the stylus one last time after writing that last sentence, and now it's back, including after disconnecting the keyboard again to test if that was a "feature" (I almost never disconnect the keyboard, just fold it back).  Strange, but I guess it takes care of my question of if anyone knows how to get it back.

0 Kudos
Mikerman
3 Zinc

On another note... the little dot under my stylus during hovering just disappeared.  I was in the middle of reviewing and marking up some notes and it just stopped showing up. Everywhere, not just in OneNote.  I tried restarting and it's still missing.  It gets even weirder because as I'm typing this I connected to my slim keyboard to type, checked the stylus one last time after writing that last sentence, and now it's back, including after disconnecting the keyboard again to test if that was a "feature" (I almost never disconnect the keyboard, just fold it back).  Strange, but I guess it takes care of my question of if anyone knows how to get it back.

Interesting, as I had the reverse:  no cursor dot (which I prefer, that way) and then one day it just appeared, even though I hadn't done anything, as far as I can tell.  I ultimately got it to go away by, I think (but may be wrong), going into the Control Panel's Ease of Access Center/Make the mouse easier to use screen and checking the Turn on Mouse Keys option and applying it, and then unchecking the option and applying.  (Earlier posts had noted that checking this option causes the cursor mark to appear.)  I also had opened up and closed the tablet's virtual mouse (which I had added earlier), which may have had an effect as to the screen cursor as well.

It sure would be nice if Dell actually were even to provide some guidance as to the stylus' operation and particulars/peccadillos . . . .

0 Kudos
Roscoe76
1 Copper

[quote user="npooty"]

I discovered a trick to get the eraser to work in OneNote 2013 with the Dell stylus 100% of the time.  Put the pen tip down as if to start writing, then press the eraser button.  To get it to switch back to writing you need to make sure to lift the pen far enough from the screen so that palm rejection is no longer active.

I've tried this over and over with every possible timing of stylus touch/button press I can think of with no success.  The button works fine in the metro app, so I know it's not a hardware issue.  Anyone else tried this?

I wouldn't even mind as much if I could get the pen flicks to work in OneNote so I could just flick undo.  But again, I think this is a Microsoft issue, not Dell/synaptic. 

[/quote]

My stylus seems to be working fairly well.  There are some times when it stops working and instead of unscrewing it, I've tried to take it away and usually it seems to begin working again.  Though I have also tried unscrewing and that of course works.  I also have the randomly appearing and disappearing little dot.  I'd prefer to not have it as it is way too jittery, but the stylus seems to work better while it is showing. I installed the Dell bios update and it seemed to bring it back, then it disappeared again.  Also when I unscrewed it, the dot came back.  But then it disappeared again.

For Onenote, I've put the pens and eraser into the quick menu.  I can get it to go into erase mode by holding it to the screen and pressing the button, but it is a slow process.  Then it takes holding it away from the screen for it to go back to pen mode.  It is faster to click the pen or eraser in the quick menu at the top rather than dealing with the delay.

I can get the flicks to work by doing them in the color area to the side of the writing area.

0 Kudos