Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 12th, 2014 10:00

System seems to reboot almost every morning abnormally

I am seeing MANY "ERROR" conditions in the system log.  This is a brand new Venue Pro 11 7130.  I have reset to factory 3 times  since I have had it...mostly due to the freezing issue everyone is experiencing. 

I come in several mornings with the system freshly rebooted...this morning around 5:19:39 Central Standard Time.

• 5:19:39 - Informational message:  The last shutdown's success status was false.  The last boot's success status was true.  No reason I can see for the reboot to begin with.  The next previous message was over an hour before...from the iaStorA service.
  • 5:19:39 - Informational message:  The boot type was 0x0
  • 5:19:39 - Informational message:  The firmware reported boot metrics
  • 5:19:39 - Informational message:  The operating system started at system time 2014-01-12T11:19:39.492150400Z.
  • 5:19:41 - Critical message:  The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.  This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
  • Lots of other informational and warning messages
  • At 5:19:42 the system logs state that "The Realtek Audio Service service failed to start due to the following error:  The system cannot find the specified file.  Which is interesting since I uninstalled the Realtek software and driver instance some time ago.  Seems they don't know how to clean up after themselves.
  • 5:19:49 - Error message:  The previous system shutdown at 5:08:31 AM on 1/12/2014 was unexpected.
  • 5:19:49 - Error message: 

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000014f (0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xffffc00001adb9f0, 0xffffd00023c56b30). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 011214-8734-01.

I have not contacted support yet, but here is a link to my system logs:

http://sdrv.ms/1eNpkPw

18 Posts

January 12th, 2014 14:00

Another Reboot at between 3:50 (entering connected standby) and 4:30 PM (operating system started)

System Logs are here:  http://sdrv.ms/1ez4ItT

Could this be a connected standby issue?  How is this turned off?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2014 14:00

tony_ansley,

You can retsrat the computer and press F12 at startup. Run the full diagnostics and report back any error messages.

Rick

18 Posts

January 12th, 2014 20:00

No errors found.

6 Posts

January 13th, 2014 05:00

I've had my 7130 randomly blue screen too...usually after it's in standby overnight, however it's only happened to me about twice since I've is roughly a 2-week period..

For your freezing issue, if it's doing it when in the mobile keyboard dock, the attached solution may work for you.  I got it from Dell's tech support and it corrected the freezing issue on mine when docked to the mobile keyboard dock...note that you must make the changes when it's in the dock. 

*These steps will only work while the keyboard dock is connected and functional at the time of execution*

Step 1: Navigate your way to This PC (formally known as "My Computer") & click System properties. If you don't see this option, make sure you are in the leftmost Computer tab (not View)

Step 2: Click Device Manager to enter it (affirmatively confirm any user prompts that may pop up in between, if needed)

Step 3: Click on the little triangle next to Human Interface Devices to expand its list of devices downward

Step 4: You should notice 3 "USB Input Device" items toward the bottom of this expanded list and they should represent the keyboard dock hardware in the same 3 instances

To start on the first of these 3 items, double-click the top item of the trio to open its Properties box.

Step 5a: To confirm that you are in the right place, we will check in the Details tab for the Hardware Ids property values to ensure they match what we are looking for.  

Step 5b: The same identifiers will prevail with "2819&MI_0x where x is 0, 1 and 2" properly identifying the items we seek to alter.

*Note: we have NOT changed anything in Steps 5a & 5b...merely confirming the generic "USB Input Device" item that was double-clicked to enter this Properties box. It is POSSIBLE to have more than of set of these generic items (depending on what else you may have connected to your system at the time of executing this fix).

Step 6 (ALMOST DONE): Click on the Power Management tab to show the checked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box. This is the culprit that shuts down the keyboard dock on us (the GUI representation of Selective Suspend).

Step 7: UNCHECK THE BOX and then click OK.

DO THIS FOR EACH OF THE 3 ITEMS DISPLAYED FROM STEP 4

Step 8: After completing the unchecking of each of the 3 items' boxes, close all open programs and restart Windows. This should do the trick. You do NOT have to do this each boot or anything or at all again. One time deal.

18 Posts

January 13th, 2014 08:00

BUT, how does this affect "connected standby"...one of the features that is valuable to Windows tablets in my opinion.

I have since set my "docked" power state to NEVER ENTER STANDBY and overnight it did not reboot in the middle of the night.

Based on the log entries I am seeing, the reboot happens after entering connected standby...I believe this is the culprit, but only time will tell.  If not going into standby works, then I will turn it back on to see if the reboots start happening again.

Also, I will note...looking at the system logs, I have NEVER seen so many CRITICAL and ERROR message.  I am looking at my work computer and I see 0 CRITICALS in the last 7 days, but I see TONS of these and ERROR message in the last 24 HOURS on my Venue!

I will be submitting an official trouble ticket with Dell this evening and work towards returning this product if they cannot resolve the multiple issue I am experiencing...I cannot have this as my system replacement if it will not work! 

I still like the concept of using one of these types of devices as a desktop replacement, but I need something that is stable.  I may just have to revert to a traditional laptop class device and use a USB3 docking station...too bad.

18 Posts

January 13th, 2014 20:00

Since changing the power management to not allow the computer to go into standby when plugged up, I have had 0 CRITICAL errors in the last 24 hours.

I have had 4 ERROR conditions in the last 24 hours:

• EventID 2:  Kernel-Event Tracing/Admin - Session "" failed to start with the following error:  0x0000000D
  • 3x EventID 10010: Distributed COM - "The server{01171F65-249E-81BD-03E1B0FA1873} did not register DCOM within the required timeout

Someone from Support got any ideas?

18 Posts

January 14th, 2014 05:00

Spoke too soon on the CRITICAL.

Abnormal reboot around 2:15 this morning.

2:15am this morning, a Kernel Power CRITICAL event...just like all of the others.

123 Posts

January 15th, 2014 04:00

Uninstall these three Windows updates and stay away from them (deactivate Windows auto update): KB2887595, KB2903939 and KB2883200, and the bsod out of standby will be gone.

I have opened a thread about this before at MS ( http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/kb2887595-andor-kb2903939-leading-to-bsod-and-wifi/8c83f2ef-a2c5-4c50-bbab-4140bece393b ) and Dell and no one seem to care.

18 Posts

January 16th, 2014 07:00

My unit (7130) shipped with the "secure" version (7139) OS Image.  A lot of additional software and drivers are installed and they generate a LOT of warnings, errors, and possibly some of the criticals that I am seeing in the logs.

I finally called support and asked them to re-image my Venue with the correct OS image for the 7130.  I am going to hopefully overnight it to them today and hopefully have it back some time next week.

I did refresh my system back to original os image.  I then installed Windows updates, disabled the iaStorA performance settings.  I did disable the unit's ability to go to sleep while plugged in, so it is not going into connected standby - which is when the criticals and reboots were happening.

Oh well.  I continue to have hopes that the community and dell support will eventually fix these issues.

No Events found!