RE: Tip comes out of Venue 8 Pro Stylus easily - is this a design feature?

Jump to solution

@ DELL-BRIAN B: 

As received, the stylus tip was detached – possibly due to shipping trauma. After reinstalling, it's not excessively loose, but the pen is too jittery-hypersensitive and "clicks" aren't recognized; the (+) terminal is also too recessed & didn't maintain reliable contact with battery 'til I added a small wad of Al foil on opposite end. The "Urgent" Panel Touch firmware upgrade (posted Jan 2nd) didn't improve jittery behavior. Without a protective cap, I expect these tips to have a high mortality in the wild. Even the stylus holders incorporated into Dell-designed accessories don't protect these tips in place, and are awkward to insert/remove the Dell stylus without hanging-up on the clicker or snagging the tip. (Mostly for that lame design, I've returned my $40 Dell Folio sleeve.)

Meanwhile, I'm using a 4-for-a-Buck passive stylus — which works smoothly, but the blunt rubber tip lacks precision which would be useful when navigating legacy device & driver menus... (If I don't get replacement stylus soon, I'm gonna change my forum handle to "Sir Zoomalot")

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@ DELL-BRIAN B: 

As received, the stylus tip was detached – possibly due to shipping trauma. After reinstalling, it's not excessively loose, but the pen is too jittery-hypersensitive and "clicks" aren't recognized; the (+) terminal is also too recessed & didn't maintain reliable contact with battery 'til I added a small wad of Al foil on opposite end. The "Urgent" Panel Touch firmware upgrade (posted Jan 2nd) didn't improve jittery behavior. Without a protective cap, I expect these tips to have a high mortality in the wild. Even the stylus holders incorporated into Dell-designed accessories don't protect these tips in place, and are awkward to insert/remove the Dell stylus without hanging-up on the clicker or snagging the tip. (Mostly for that lame design, I've returned my $40 Dell Folio sleeve.)

Meanwhile, I'm using a 4-for-a-Buck passive stylus — which works smoothly, but the blunt rubber tip lacks precision which would be useful when navigating legacy device & driver menus... (If I don't get replacement stylus soon, I'm gonna change my forum handle to "Sir Zoomalot")

Thanks - sounds like your stylus tip is OK then and just came out in shipping. It shouldn't easily fall out, but they are removable with a little pull. This is as designed. The performance issues will be addressed in near term - I'll post more here when I have info. Yeah, the passive stylus works OK, but agree with your new handle. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
joerocket
Copper

Jump to solution

Love the tablet, but the stylus is absolute <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> .

Do yourself a favor and order a non-Dell replacment.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@ JOEROCKET:

I had hoped to "move-on" with a non-Dell replacement stylus as you suggested; however, I haven't yet discovered any other tablet-maker who has adopted this new, problematic digitizer technology from Synaptics. Digitizer Styli from Microsoft, Samsung, Lenovo, Asus all use time-tested Wacom digitizer tech which isn't compatible. 

Most generic "capitative" styli will only operate basic touch functions on a Venue tablet, if anybody learns of a stylus that works with  Dell's digitizer functions, please let the rest of us know!!!

Brenda H
Bronze

Jump to solution

Have you figured out what the toggle button on the pen does?

And after going to a specialty shop I found that  hard to find AAAA battery for $7.00 for 2.  Ouch!  I'm wondering if I can find rechargeable ones!

My posts and emails have also gotten nothing from dell..hopefully you will be their 4 star employee to actually fix their mistake!

0 Kudos
Michgol
Copper

Jump to solution

What is the plan to deal with this? I had a stylus which worked fine for over a month and yesterday the tip suddenly fell out and is lost. I called customer support and was transferred to 4 departments including someone outside of dell. No one could help at all. There appears to be no replacement stylus, no tips, and no one at Dell willing to honor the warranty on the product.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

What is the plan to deal with this? I had a stylus which worked fine for over a month and yesterday the tip suddenly fell out and is lost. I called customer support and was transferred to 4 departments including someone outside of dell. No one could help at all. There appears to be no replacement stylus, no tips, and no one at Dell willing to honor the warranty on the product.

The service department should be able to replace your pen under warranty.

0 Kudos
Michgol
Copper

Jump to solution

1.5h on the phone and a chat session. They have refused to do so and claim there are "no replacements". I am very unhappy as without a stylus the whole device is not useful to me.  What I have now is an overpriced Kindle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Michgol, I have sent you an email, kindly reply back with the required information.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
rmalbers
Bronze

Jump to solution

FWIW: In the manual for the 5130 then have a short section on the pen, taking it apart, and showing how to replace the tip.  Looking at that might help show how it's suppose to work (maybe help a little anyway).

0 Kudos