Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2013 05:00

Touch screen on new Venue 8 Android routinely become unresponsive

Just received this brand new Venue 8 Android (4.2.2) on Wednesday, and it's already exhibiting problems with the touchscreen.  In short, the touch screen becomes unresponsive for a time, and forces me to press down hard with my finger to come out of the freeze - and sometimes that doesn't even work (and I have to shut it off).   I've already tried resetting the device to its factory state - and it hardly has any apps on it at all (just NY Times, Kindle, Acrobat).

After searching the net on this issue, I discovered that it is possible to "recalibrate" an Android screen - but I see no option for doing so either in "settings" or anywhere else. 

Obviously, no device should be malfunctioning within a few days of purchase.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance

3 Posts

November 19th, 2013 18:00

I have exactly the same problem. I think I will return it if no solution will be provided in a week.

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 08:00

Yes, you're right. It must have some service mode. I have done it to my phone before. But this tablet is new, it has warranty, I paid around $200 and why I have to deal with these. This is the problem of Dell and I am returning this device. I think when people realize this problem there will be more returns and they will publish a firmware update. But now, I don't want to be mad anymore.

88 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 08:00

If you can recalibrate the screen the controls will probably be in the hardware mechanic options that are accessed outside of the OS.  Many tablets, but I cannot find out about the venue 8 yet, have a mechanic mode that can be entered by holding keys in a certain combination while the unit is starting.  The vast majority of tablets currently out there use the volume + and power button combination if they have the mode.  You hold the buttons down for a few seconds and eventually you see the little android guy laying on his back with his chest open.  It comes up like a command prompt with a list of numbered options.  I'm hoping the venue has this since the "bootloop" problem is somewhat common.  If you're stuck in a bootloop you can't access the OS to do a hard reset in the usual way.  Dell does have a way to do a hard reset by holding the power button down for over ten seconds but that may not always fix the issue.  If the venue doesn't have the hardware menu then there's a way to boot from the SD card on all the android tablets I've ever seen.  I pray I never get stuck in a bootloop, that's what happened to my old tablet but I'd like to at least have the information from Dell if the venues have the service mode or sell me a bootable micro SD to reload the os if I need to.  I travel sometimes and I use my tablet quite a bit, I'd be mad if I was out of town and my tablet got stuck and I didn't know how to fix it.

But you're right, shouldn't be doing that only a week into the game.

1 Message

November 27th, 2013 15:00

I have the same situation and wait for fix. Maybe just return it.:emotion-6:

3 Posts

November 27th, 2013 17:00

I returned it and waiting for refund. Good luck everybody because it's so annoying to tap again and again on the screen.

1 Message

November 27th, 2013 17:00

Same here. 

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 11:00

I am experiencing this problem as well.  Screen becomes completely unresponsive and the tablet must be powered off.  

Dell Technicians, please acknowledge you are paying attention to this forum and acknowledge there is a problem.

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 17:00

After not hearing from Dell support, I sent mine back for a replacement - and the new one is working fine so far.  But there's obviously an issue with the keyboard with at least the earliest run of these Venues.  Hopefully, it's something that they've already corrected - but who knows, really.

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 19:00

I am experiencing the same problem with my new Venue 8 Android as well. The touch screen becomes unresponsive every few minutes and the tablet has be switched off and on. I have made sure that the IO was updated and have even conducted a reset to factory defaults, but the problem is still occurring. Not the most encouraging sign. Like others here I will wait a few days and see if Dell offers a tech solution. If not I will return it and look at another tablet option. 

35 Posts

December 4th, 2013 06:00

GMCARN, can you tell us how you went about returning it for a replacement?  Dell's site is confusing to say the least with regards to reporting a problem device and returning it for a replacement.

2 Posts

December 4th, 2013 07:00

I am having the exact same problem on my Venue 8 pro with windows 8.1.

You can tap the screen 20 times and see the bubble on the screen with no response. It's beyond annoying. Sometimes it just locks up the screen. If you flip the screen to landscape or upright sometimes it fixes it but it's driving me nuts. I want to see how to recalibrate and need to fix another issue with apps not dowloading also. I'm also having a problem downloading apps, it says wifi is too slow. I will post another question about that also.

Mike

27 Posts

December 4th, 2013 11:00

Just got mine and unfortunately the screen response problem was one of the first things I noticed. I'll be returning mine since I really do not want to deal with a product that has an issue right out of the gate with so many others having the same issue. I was so hoping this would be a nice tablet because I really like the 8" screen over the Sero 7 Pro 7" size, but the Sero has been flawless so far.

35 Posts

December 4th, 2013 11:00

I have been instructed by Dell Support to first do a factory reset, as "In a few scenarios, we have had good results after doing that".  Also, I was told that they "will gladly replace it with a brand new tablet, if factory reset does not fix the problem".  I recommend you try the following first before contacting support for a replacement:

1. Press the Volume down + power button to boot into droidboot mode. (you would see the Dell Logo and then the Droidboot screen)."

2. Use Volume down to select the third option and press power button to boot into recovery mode."

3. In recovery mode, press the Power button + Volume up to display recovery mode menu. (NO Command has been removed in latest Droidboot 9.67)"

4. In recovery mode use Volume down to select the wipe data/factory reset option and press power button."

5. After Reset has been completed use Volume button to select reboot system now option and press power button to reboot system top option."

27 Posts

December 4th, 2013 14:00

I have been instructed by Dell Support to first do a factory reset, as "In a few scenarios, we have had good results after doing that".  Also, I was told that they "will gladly replace it with a brand new tablet, if factory reset does not fix the problem".  I recommend you try the following first before contacting support for a replacement:

1. Press the Volume down + power button to boot into droidboot mode. (you would see the Dell Logo and then the Droidboot screen)."

2. Use Volume down to select the third option and press power button to boot into recovery mode."

3. In recovery mode, press the Power button + Volume up to display recovery mode menu. (NO Command has been removed in latest Droidboot 9.67)"

4. In recovery mode use Volume down to select the wipe data/factory reset option and press power button."

5. After Reset has been completed use Volume button to select reboot system now option and press power button to reboot system top option."

Thanks for the heads up, but that didn't work as it's still freezing. The only way to quickly get it to work is put it in sleep mode and then wake it up. I can then at least get it to respond for a short time. I'm giving them one more chance so they are sending me a new one. I'm not confident it isn't a hardware issue though. If that's the case, we'll see what the new one does. Any signs of a repeat, and it's adios.

Honestly, if Hisense made the Sero in an 8" version, I'd be all over it. My old eyes need the larger screen than my Sero 7 Pro has. 

35 Posts

December 4th, 2013 15:00

The factory reset did not solve my problem either.  I experienced unresponsive touch screen 3x in the first 30 minutes after a factory reset.  Turning the screen off and back on always resolves the problem, but this is unacceptable behavior, so I will be returning the device for a new replacement.  I

will update this forum with the results from the new tablet once I receive it.

No Events found!