Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2016 08:00

Unexpected behavior of USB hub via OTG cable

I have purchased a powoered USB 7 port hub.  It works flawlessly on my Dell laptop (Windows 10).

When I try to use it with my Dell Venue 8 Pro, via Dell OTG + Charge cable, I have to populate the ports in order.  That is, first device to be plugged into port #1, 2nd device into port #2, etc.  If there are any empty ports between devices, only devices up to the empty port will work.  This has the effect that, if you remove a device, all following devices must be unplugged and moved up to fill in the gap.

This is NOT expected behavior.  If I put it back on the laptop, there is no issue.

What about the Venue 8 Pro (also Windows 10) that would cause this change in behavior?

Is there something about OTG that make this happen?

John

9.4K Posts

September 27th, 2016 05:00

Hi John,

Thanks for posting.

What is the name of the OTG & Charge cable?  Did you purchase it directly from Dell or someplace else?

Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

2 Posts

September 27th, 2016 06:00

Hi Robert.

The cable is one I purchased direct from Dell, supporting OTG host and charging simultaneously.

I have tried without charging.  I have tried a non-Dell OTG (without charging).

I have now also tried other tablets.  It seems to me that tablet OTG does not support powered hubs.  I thought maybe it was Windows itself, but it works fine on my Dell notebooks.

Perhaps the hub itself cannot work with OTG.  I currently have no other combinations I can test.

John

915 Posts

September 27th, 2016 20:00

I have had success using a powered hub with the Dell power + data dongle, but have never tried filling all the hub's ports--only 2 at a time.

9.4K Posts

September 29th, 2016 07:00

John,

I'm unable to locate the OTG dongle on either our sales pages or the tech support pages here in the USA.  I do see from the link to the manual that it will work with a charged hub, so I don't know why you're experiencing problems.  

My only suggestion at this point would be to contact Dell Tech Support  to troubleshoot.  Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

915 Posts

September 29th, 2016 10:00

Perhaps it's an idiosyncrasy with the particular hub itself?

No Events found!