Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 15th, 2013 09:00

VENUE 7 APPS TO SD

Anyone know how to move apps to the sd card? I have not been able to do it. Got music and pics there with no problem.

Is this not allowed by Android 4.2.2 or is it a Dell restriction?

24 Posts

December 20th, 2013 04:00

I am fairly new to Android, but what I read is that you cannot put apps on the SD expansion memory, as they will not run from it.  I think this is standard with 4.1 and 4.2, at least. The SD memory seems to be for storing data only, like movies, documents, images, music, etc.

1 Message

January 7th, 2014 13:00

That's not my experience.  I have used other tablets running 4.3 (which is what I'm running on my Dell Venue 7 now) and I could move any non-default apps (apps I downloaded and installed) to my external SD Card.  After clicking Settings, then Apps, there should be a button that says "move to sd card".  If it isn't greyed out, you can move the app and it runs without a problem.  I think it's ridiculous that this option isn't available on a tablet that has external memory.  It was available on my previous table, the Nexus 7, which didn't have an external SD card.  I'm inserting an image of what the screen with this option looks like:

24 Posts

January 7th, 2014 17:00

WOW, this is great news, and I agree that it didn't make sense that the system would not allow you store and run from external memory. You mentioned it could be greyed out.  Do you know what types of apps are prevented from being moved?  Also, what happens when you remove the SD card?  Do the icons for those apps disappear from the display?

I have to check my current tablet (I had to return the Dell Venue 8, long story) to see if that works with it (it is running 4.1.2).

Thanks for your response.

February 21st, 2014 08:00

Hey, you are right. Google allowed developers to give the option to users to move their apps to an SD card. Not all of them can be moveable, though. Anyway, I learned today (after researching the problem, which I found with my Dell too) in another post like this one that Dell didn't allow this in the OS. It is totally stupid, the one thing that disappoints me about the tablet. If Dell sends an OTA update to 4.4 Kit-Kat, maybe they will have that included (apparently, according to CNet, it is planned to release "when it's ready"). You never know, they probably will not. -1 star for this problem.

95 Posts

February 21st, 2014 13:00

The problem is even if "move to sdcard" is an available option in most cases it still isn't saving to your external sdcard.

The file system is:

Internal

Sdcard

Sdcard ext.  or sometimes sdcard2

So if the option is there to move to sdcard it is still just a partition in the on board storage and not the external card. So the option is kind of pointless. It is just moving your apps to another portion of the on board storage.   This started with the jump somewhere between Froyo and Honeycomb.  With froyo you actually could save apps to the external card.

If apps can truly be moved to the external card there would be an easy test to see if this is actually working now.  IF you have this option on a device Save an app to the sdcard, then remove the card, then try to open the app.  If it opens it isn't really on the external card.

1 Message

February 26th, 2014 08:00

Android versions 4.1 and 4.2.2 have three memory partitions: internal memory, sd memory and external sd memory(a sd card you buy). Not being able to move apps to the sd card is an Android 4.1 and 4.2.2 restriction. The reason for this is because those versions are rooted. If you can find a unroot program in Google Play simple enough, then you can unroot your device which then opens up the ability to move apps to external sd instead of the internal memory or the devices sd memory. The program (app) most known for this issue is Superuser which is free and available in Google Play appstore. Good Luck...I'm having the same problem in my generic tablet. I am thinking on going with a Dell Venue 8 though.

1 Message

March 29th, 2015 12:00

dears

i have dell venue 8 with android 4.2.2

i cannot move application to sd memory

kindly, please your support to solve my issue.

Regards

No Events found!