Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 28th, 2014 05:00

Venue 11 7130 Pop up Keyboard won't appear in Tablet start up

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem......my Venue 11 - 7130 has a password to enter the computer.....this works fine when in the desktop dock or external keyboard dock......but when used as a tablet the pop up keyboard will not appear to allow a password to be entered to get the computer to fully start up!  I see an icon on the bottom right showing a keyboard but it only allows the switching between various version of the keyboard layout....it won't bring up the keyboard!

The only way to pass this point is to dock the tablet into the dock or external keyboard and then you can enter a password.

Is this a BIOS issue or Windows 8.1?  

August 11th, 2014 14:00

here's an update from me. I installed the BIOS update mentioned previously in this series of posts and that did not resolve the problem for us. But, upon further inspection, a Standard PS/2 keyboard was listed in the device manager. I uninstalled that and rebooted the tablet. Now the pop-up keyboard works as expected. I don't know if this will help anyone else, but, I figured I'd share in case it does.

February 2nd, 2014 14:00

Bump......still happening.....can't start in tablet only configuration, keyboard will not appear to enter password.....any updates from Dell?

February 4th, 2014 18:00

Uploaded BIOS A09 then tried to start Venue 11 in tablet mode and the pop up keyboard still does not work properly.....sometimes it pops up, then freezes.....maybe you'll be lucky and the cursor will start blinking.....other times the keyboard is absolutely frozen and you have to hold the power button for 10 seconds to shut down and try again.....other times the keyboard doesn't appear at all.......really frustrating.

The new BIOS doesn't seem to have fixed this issue......  

February 6th, 2014 03:00

Touch the clock-like icon at the bottom left and select On-Screen Keyboard.

1 Message

April 16th, 2014 03:00

This doesn't fix the issue. Any other touch device on 8.1 presents the Windows 8 keyboard when a text box is present at login. The fix described just gives the user access to the 'Ease of Access' options and while it does give you an on-screen keyboard - it is not the expected keyboard you get on other devices. This must be a fault - what has been described is a workaround, not a fix.

828 Posts

April 16th, 2014 11:00

Can you try the following.   First, restart the device – this will often resolve quirky issues.   If that doesn’t work, within the ease of access keyboard options, make sure that all options are disabled.   You should also check to make sure that the touch keyboard service hasn’t been stopped or disabled.   Type View Local Services in the search box and scroll down until you see Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service.   Select properties for this device to make sure that it is enabled and is running.

Help or no?

20 Posts

May 1st, 2014 12:00

Brian, I am having similar problems. Your advice does not seem to relate to my problem. When I close the Dell Folio Case for my Venue Pro 11 vPro model the tablet goes to sleep and when it wakes up I can no longer access the on-screen keyboard. A workaround I have found is to disable Sleep both when closing the folio "lid" and also by turning off Sleep in the Power Options. The problem may be that the Venue Pro 11 upon awakening from sleep mistakes your Folio case for a Keyboard or a Dock and then refuses to show the On-Screen Keyboard. Unfortunately just removing the Folio case does not result in obtaining OSK access either. Rebooting each time I open the case solves the problem but obviously this is not a good option. Lawrence

5 Posts

For me, it aint installed.  I found out that if I got the physical keyboard plugged before it went offline, its still thinking the keyboard is plugged.  I unplug the physical keyboard and restart the tablet and then the soft keyboard is showing.

The same issue happens on the docking station for the 7130. Even if no keyboard is plugged on the docking or tablet, the software keyboard aint showing on screen at login.

828 Posts

Engineering is looking into this, but in the meantime, would like a couple of you to try something for me.   Can you look under Control Panel/Programs and see if you have the Intel Virtual Buttons driver installed?   If so, can you try uninstalling, rebooting and then see if the problem persists or goes away?

Please let me know here.

Thanks.

20 Posts

May 1st, 2014 14:00

I also note the identical issue with the dock. I have the new revision dock that was released in March. Lawrence

20 Posts

May 1st, 2014 14:00

Hi I don't have the Intel Virtual Buttons program installed either. Lawrence

828 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 10:00

OK, it was just a hunch.   Will dig into this a bit more with engineering and provide an update as soon as possible.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2014 14:00

I removed intel virtual buttons program, and now I can see the virtual keyboard on login screen even though I have cover keyboard attached. I have vpro version.

One issue resolved. many more to go!

Thanks Brian.

20 Posts

May 3rd, 2014 15:00

I also own the vPro version but mine does not list Intel Virtual Buttons amongst the installed programs. Did your Venue Pro 11 come with Intel Virtual Buttons installed or did you add that program?

20 Posts

May 26th, 2014 18:00

Hi Brian, Is there any fix for this problem forthcoming? You mentioned that you were escalating the problem. Regards, Lawrence
No Events found!