Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2015 13:00

Venue 11 Pro 7130 i3 (non-VPro models) ongoing Connected Standby issues still being investigated?

Hello,

I have noticed that despite a number of improvements with the latest touch panel firmware (rarer unintentional repetition of letters) and device firmware (no more wifi issues as of A13 firmware) one issue is still persisting on my Venue 11 Pro i3 model: excessive battery drain during connected standby sessions.

What happens is that after leaving the device for 8 hours (one night) in connected standby mode the battery has already drained nearly 50%, which, as far as I have understood, is much higher than should be the case, while often after waking the device I find that another application may have opened or that some sort of spurious input occured.

For now I have worked around the issue by disabling connected standby from the registry, which has the added benefit of enabling hybernation in the shutdown menu. This, however, is a suboptimal solution since in order to wake up the device it appears to be necessary to either touch the Windows logo on the tablets frame and THEN push the power button for a good second, or, with the keyboard attached, it is necessary to close the tablet and re-open it, followed by the same press of the power button.

Seeing as I don't appear to be the only one having this issue and the lack of software updates for the specific device in the last months, I'd like to ask Dell if these Connected Standby issues are still being investigated on the 7130, with a possible solution coming in form of firmware updates or otherwise, or if the attention has been completely shifted to the follow-up 7140 model with Broadwell processor.

43 Posts

June 12th, 2015 08:00

Update for people from the future: using this version of the SD card reader driver appears to solve the issue, which was due to Windows reverting to a default driver upon reboot should the driver specified on the Venue 11 Pro's support website be installed.http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=4Y1R8

8 Posts

January 21st, 2015 13:00

THIS THIS THIS THIS.

Maybe Dell would better respond to a haiku?

Dell Venue Tablet

Fix the damn standby issues

Windows Paperweight

Here's my "powercfg /sleepstudy" report - showing my connected standby from last night. Bluetooth disabled in BIOS - Wifi turned off in software. No offenders - nothing to report any more than 30 seconds worth of activity. My WPA Trace/Capture showed the CPU never dipping below 600mhz - the same speed as idle in windows. I cannot tell if that's from the trace itself, or a fundamentally broken driver. I have 0% hardware low power state time - meaning the hardware (CPU) never enters the hybrid sleep. Time active: 100% (save for a mysterious 16 seconds of disengaged).

I've updated all firmware and drivers to latest revisions.

I've disabled offenders - and tried every combination I can think of.

I've disabled the TPM and decrypted the entire drive.

I've done XPERF/WPA traces and analyzed the captures for suspect processes with zero culprits.

I've tried all manner of testing with and without AC power, and nothing seems to fix the issue.

I've tried disabling hybrid sleep and only using S3 sleep mode. This worked except for the fact that, if the tablet was powered by AC at the time of system resume, the DW1537 wireless card would fail to power up and I'd need to reboot the entire system to get wireless connectivity.

I am an IT Engineer... I DO THIS FOR A LIVING. If with all of my experience with Dell systems and the Windows platform - and I cannot get it to work as expected - something is severely wrong.

Your system's battery should not drain 50% while in standby. That is unacceptable. That is a malfunction that needs to be fixed by the OEM.

As of this morning, I now cannot go into connected standby without being greeted by a black screen upon resuming (powered or not). I have to force-power off the tablet and reboot. Absolutely incredible.

I leave you with a screenshot of my connected standby historical data. Look at the change rate towards the right - averages 2,500mW per hour. At that rate, the tablet will go from a full charge to entirely depleted in twelve hours of standby. I could leave the house in the morning with a fresh battery, and it be dead by the time I get home - all in standby.

8 Posts

January 21st, 2015 16:00

Just upgraded my tablet to Windows 10 Technical Preview.  

Not only does it go in and out of sleep more reliably, but connected standby ALMOST works as well as it should. 

Notice how the Hardware time is now 98% - meaning it spent 98% of time in a low power state, unlike 0% in 8.1. 272mW in 20 minutes isn't exactly great by any means, but for a fresh install without any tweaks, it's a vast improvement.

43 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 00:00

What drivers did you use after performing the clean install? I ask since I'll probably be doing the same once the Consumer Preview is released next week.

Regarding the change rate you observed: consider that mW, as in milliWatt, is the rate of change itself, being a unit of power. This means that after about an hour you should have observed a charge difference of about 272mWh, or 0.272 Wh (or Watt-hours). This should be grossly equal to 1% of the stated battery charge of 36000mWh or 36Wh.

25 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 07:00

As for the MWh info - yes, I am aware. However - others have measured their drain at wattages as low as 60-70mWh when configured correctly. 1% an hour isnt the end of the world though.

I did an in place upgrade to Win10 - worked great. Used the same Win8.1 drivers dell offers. I through the CAB driver pack on a usb drive just in case.

43 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 09:00

Thank you very much, I'll see how it goes with the next preview!

(Sorry about the minilecture on mW and mWh, just wanted to be sure we were talinkg about the same thing!)

8 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 10:00

No worries! Good to get everyone on the same page.

I noticed today my sleep study reported 500mWh drain - Windows Update had crashed and held up the queue, leaving the wireless on 100% of the time. What's funny is that, despite this, it's still only 1/5th the battery draw as I was experiencing with Windows 8.1.

Windows 10 is a pretty big departure (even in the Technical Preview, lacking all the neat stuff announced yesterday) from Windows 8.1. Haven't had any issues with application compatibility yet! What I will say is that it's far more consistent - the experience is a little bit of a departure for tablets. It feels like a full Windows PC that I can easily control with my finger. You can also run metro apps in a window, which is nice - but they removed the useful application snapping ability from 8. I really like it so far - should be interesting to see how the consumer preview works out.

12 Posts

January 26th, 2015 00:00

I have the exact same issue, Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130, A13 bios. 

My post at http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19538996?pi239031352=14 and others have this exact issue.

25 Posts

January 27th, 2015 15:00

Bumping because this is still a big issue. It seems highly likely that drivers are to blame.

No Events found!