Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2016 13:00

Venue 11 Pro 7139 vPro (MEBx AMT) Configuration Questions

Trying to figure out exactly how to configure vPro AMT via the MEBx configuration. Most computers with this feature have a selection to configure the network interface associated with this feature, the 7139 has a place to configure the system name and domain but does not have the usual item to select Static or DHCP IP acquisition, or netmask or any TCP/IP configuration at all.

I am also unclear how this feature works with a device that only has WiFi (or perhaps WWAN) as its only built in network interface and neither of these potential network interfaces are actually provided by an onboard chipset.

So I guess the question is, what exactly are you configuring in the MEBx configuration menus and is the 7139 actually capable of vPro AMT functionality? In particular the remote KVM functions. I would think that if this was to work it would need to either A) function only in docked mode and bridge to the docks NIC -or- B) provide some preliminary WiFi connect info in the MEBx menus -or- possibly C) work in conjunction with some other BIOS feature that offers some kind of firmware level network establishment of some sort.

Kind of the point of the whole vPro / AMT / MEBx environment is to provide OS independent management of the system at pre-BIOS boot levels. There seems to be quite a few mentions of it as fixes in various driver and BIOS updates, but I guess I don't understand the point of fixes to something that doesn't seem to have the fundamental elements, that I can see, to work in the first place.

Am I missing something?

September 3rd, 2016 16:00

Um, has anybody actually used this feature on these tablets? No replies, hmmm.

Anyway, if anyone cares, I have been able to get into the configuration by going to the AMT port on localhost in a web browser. From here you can configure WiFi settings for remote, no other interface is listed, no dock NIC and no WWAN, though I'm not sure why you'd ever want the latter. With wifi configured you can connect with VNC+, but it'll never draw the screen and eventually bombs out. I am only on 802.11g so maybe it's not enough bandwidth, but I have it set to throttle for connection quality and my connection is very consistently about 20Mbs+ which I would think would be enough and then some. So bottom line it works more than it did, but it still doesn't work in any useful sense.

I noticed that there is an updated version (Dock v2.0) of the Dock since I bought mine that has a GigE port in place of the 10/100 on the original dock, and there is firmware updates for the "Dock" that don't seem to work, so I assume they are for this new dock and not the prior one. Since there has been so many revisions of system BIOS and drivers and system applications that claim to have done some fix or update to MEBx does, wishful thinking, maybe things work with the newer dock? It would be useful and practical if the vPro stuff just worked with the dock, because honestly I'm not sure I see the general widespread usefulness of vPro on WiFi.

Can someone with any idea on this please take a stab at an answer, I can't be the only one that has ever used the remote KVM stuff. I use this regularly on Dell, HP, IBM, etc.. It's not an obscure product, it's available on virtually every i7 based system and the majority of i5 systems, and usually has to be ordered as disabled to not have this feature.

September 17th, 2016 19:00

Dock 2.0 makes no difference, BTW.

How about some random stab at an answer? There has been a dozen driver updates issued that supposedly address some issue with Intel remote management (ie: AMT) and it doesn't work, you can access the basic http://x.x.x.x:16992 interface but KVM console redirection does not work, it connects then just times out, It does prompt for the user authentication code and mouse and keyboard actions from the remote can be seen on the tablet, and the typical yellow and red border can be seen on the tablet display indicating a remote connection until it does timeout, but there is no remote display ever displayed. The failure reported back is:

Error: 0x8086210E: Internal KVM failure

June 3rd, 2018 20:00

Hi Seeing your post now.. In case you havent found out so far..

I was able to configure my 7139 vPro using SCS utility 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26505/Intel-Setup-and-Configuration-Software-Intel-SCS-?product=39104

One major catch is Wifi need to be WPA (not WPA2) which I guess is a major security challenge. The wifi in REmote management mode only connects to a WPA and not WPA2. 

For this I have a temporary SSID (uses WPA) which I will enable only when I need to use Remote mgmt on my 7139.

Hope this helps any one looking for this info. 

No Events found!