Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2014 14:00

Venue 11 Pro Freezes - Solved

I, as many on this forum, was very frustrated over the constant freezing of my Dell Venue 11 Pro, Intel i5 4210Y, 7130, 128GB SSD, 4GB memory model.  I noticed on the Task Manager, Performance tab, Disk 0 (C:), that the disk activity time would peg at 100%, when the tablet froze, for approx. 60 secs. and then the activity level would decrease and the screen would unfreeze...until I tried to perform the next function.  After reading many posts, on many forums, and calling Dell support who had me restore the OS, updating patches, firmware, BIOS, etc., I came upon an item about Link Power Management.  I went to the Apps screen, clicked on Intel Rapid Storage Management icon, then went to the Performance button and clicked on the link to disable this function.  The tablet was restarted and I started using the tablet with performance the way it should have been from the start.  I have not had a problem since making this change.  I really like the Dell Venue 11 Pro and plan to use it for work and play now that it is not freezing up everytime I try to perform an action.

1 Message

March 19th, 2014 13:00

Hi! Can you help me? I just got my new Dell Venue 11 Pro, Intel i5 4210Y and I have the same freezing problem and I used start getting tired of it. Dell can´t help, they don´t even know how to solved the problem. I can´t find the Intel Rapid Storage Management icon, did you download it?

1 Message

March 20th, 2014 07:00

The Intel Rapid Storage icon is on the APPS window, open it up and go to the performance button.  On that window there is a link to enable or disable LPM (Link Power Management).  Disable the LPM and reboot.  This action stopped my freezing problems...which I have not had since doing this.

9 Posts

March 20th, 2014 07:00

calling Dell support who had me restore the OS, updating patches, firmware, BIOS, etc.,
Could you share us how this prosess went through?

184 Posts

March 21st, 2014 09:00

Venue 11 Pro 7130 i5, LPM and screen refresh off and any combination off on, on off .... still freezes.
Appears it works for some but not for others.

2 Posts

April 18th, 2014 20:00

I have similar Dell Venue 11 Pro system, and was experiencing the same freezing issue. Every few minutes, the hard-disk usage would indicate 100%, although no processes had any activity. Each freeze would last 60 seconds, and then the system would continue as normal. As per the OP, I disabled Link Power Management, and the problem has not reoccurred since. Just wanted to say thanks for the help.

33 Posts

April 19th, 2014 10:00

Turning this feature off didn't fix my freezes, I had to turn off panel self refresh for the freezes to stop. Now that that feature is off, I have zero freezes

92 Posts

April 19th, 2014 10:00

Moderator, please rename this to Venue 11 Pro Freezes with 100% Disk Active Time.

Disabling the Link Power Management has drastically reduced the 100% Disk, but ever now and then it still happens. I'm starting to think it might be the action of entering sleep and then waking up. I let my Venue go to sleep last night on the dock and now this morning I have the 100% Disk three times while typing this post. A shutdown and power on will clear it up and wont happen again. I'm still on the fence as to what is causing it, but disabling the Link Power Management seems to help, but then again it might just be the shutdown and power on that makes it seem to fix the problem.

my Tablet, Venue 11 vPro 8/256 SanDisk, A00

1 Message

April 30th, 2014 14:00

I had this exact same problem and following your steps fixed it. Thank you so much!

12 Posts

October 8th, 2014 06:00

Turning off Link Power Management resolved the freeze issue in my 7130.

27 Posts

June 20th, 2015 07:00

Thank You! After months of my Venue 11 Pro 7130/39 (Intel Core i5-4300Y, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, SSD) being little more than a frustrating paper weight, it FINALLY performs like a high powered tablet should!

1 Message

September 5th, 2016 02:00

With my dell venue 7130 pro i3 updated to windows 10 pro x64 I also have struggled because of a lot of freezes that caused to me using this tablet a pain: I often needed to force shutdown and sometimes I experienced blue screen of death with message "unexpected_store_exception). I was really thinking to put it into the bin and to go out and buying a serious android one.

I also tried to install ubuntu 14.04lts which really works nicely compared to windows because linux doesn't suffer from freezes. Anyway I have two complains: worse audio if compared to the windows one, and explecially the bad dell wireless 1537 (probably a dell rebranded sdio athereos 6400) which is in no way recognized by linux, even not seen by the kernel, leaving no hope for getting it to work.

Finally, II saw this post and 1) I disabled the Link power management feature in the intel rapid storage app and 2) I disabled all the power management garbage of in the the intel graphic hd panel
and then...
Thanks!! It works!! No more freezes, no more blue screen of death, no more hard reset needed.

Anyway, I still do not like not being able to fully use linux because of the proprietary problematic proprietary exotic dell hardware.

No Events found!