Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2013 14:00

Venue 11 Pro dock HDMI to DVI problem

I recently just got the tablet dock hooked up to the dock and an external monitor through HDMI on the dock and HDMI-to-DVI converter to the monitor.  The resolution on the display setting in Windows shows the correct resolution.  However, on the actual monitor, there's about an inch of unused screen real estate and a purple vertical line where the screen stop working.  I've tried on two different monitor with different default resolution (1680x1050 & 1920x1200) and both have the same problem.  Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?  Using the Dell's 40-pin to HDMI to DVI works fine.  So, it seems like there's something wrong with the dock itself.

9 Posts

February 6th, 2014 16:00

Unplug your HDMI and just plug in the DP. My DP doesn't work when HDMI is plugged in

828 Posts

February 6th, 2014 18:00

Was the A09 bios supposed to resolve the issues with monitor connectivity on the tablet dock? Is there a separate Firmware upgrade for the dock?

No, A09 was not supposed to fix it, but we are testing a new dock firmware and a newer video driver now that are expected to resolve the issue.   I'll share more information soon on when these fixes will be available to update your devices.

15 Posts

February 7th, 2014 03:00

Dell-Brian B:

Thanks for the reply. Can you share an ETA. I believe many of us are trying to make the decision to keep this device and wait for the fix or return it, which would be a shame.

8 Posts

February 7th, 2014 08:00

I have confirmed that ALL the issues posted here with repsect to direct docking station HDMI -HDMI or DP - DP links to miniotrs are docking station related.

We have purchased 7 VEnue 11 7130's with DS's. 2 work, 4 do not, and 1 is currently not reported back yet.

Here are the S\N \ barcodes for the uints where I know the result:

Working: 3AL-00MJ-A00, 3AL-00GE-A00

Not working: 3AL-00N6-A00

Brian:  Please update us with the following:
- ETA on fiormware patch for docks.
- mehtod of how they would be patched  (e.g. USB flash, from tablet via windows, will we have to return them)? 

15 Posts

February 7th, 2014 12:00

Two USB to DVI adapters (http://amzn.com/B00ABNLEWO) got me up and running and work well. This makes the tablet dock a rather expensive USB hub though, I'd still like to see a final fix before we recommend it to our customers.

47 Posts

February 10th, 2014 07:00

No, A09 was not supposed to fix it, but we are testing a new dock firmware and a newer video driver now that are expected to resolve the issue.   I'll share more information soon on when these fixes will be available to update your devices.

Thanks Brian, if you can update us on an ETA it would be great.

828 Posts

February 10th, 2014 09:00

[quote user="DELL-Brian B"]No, A09 was not supposed to fix it, but we are testing a new dock firmware and a newer video driver now that are expected to resolve the issue.   I'll share more information soon on when these fixes will be available to update your devices.

Thanks Brian, if you can update us on an ETA it would be great.

[/quote]

In testing now - once I have a date, I'll share here.   We're getting close.

1 Message

February 12th, 2014 10:00

I have been evaluating the Venue Pro 11 7130 for use in our environment. The price point as well as availability of the dock were a huge plus but this issue may change things. I have tried using Dell E2311H and Planar PL2210W monitors with both DVI and dual link DVI cables. I have been using Dell supplied DP/DVI adapter (DP/N 023NVR from my Precision T3600) and Apple supplied HDMI/DVI. I cannot get the DP to work, ever. HDMI works on the Planar. Both monitors show notification that the DP topology has changed but the device still shows as generic PNP. I sure hope a fix arrives soon, if I have to recommend specific high end monitors with this dock there may be no reason to move away from the Surface as any cost savings will be lost if existing equipment can't be utilized.

17 Posts

February 13th, 2014 01:00

I have been evaluating the Venue Pro 11 7130 for use in our environment. The price point as well as availability of the dock were a huge plus but this issue may change things. I have tried using Dell E2311H and Planar PL2210W monitors with both DVI and dual link DVI cables. I have been using Dell supplied DP/DVI adapter (DP/N 023NVR from my Precision T3600) and Apple supplied HDMI/DVI. I cannot get the DP to work, ever. HDMI works on the Planar. Both monitors show notification that the DP topology has changed but the device still shows as generic PNP. I sure hope a fix arrives soon, if I have to recommend specific high end monitors with this dock there may be no reason to move away from the Surface as any cost savings will be lost if existing equipment can't be utilized.
Unfortunately, the 023NVR will never work with the dock as it is not an active adapter. We are still waiting on confirmation of compatible active adapters, but the R478G, does appear to work. Brian, did you have any indication of timescales yet?

3 Posts

February 13th, 2014 06:00

Just wanted to share that I was able to get 3 monitors connected using the dock with the Venue 11 pro (7130). Monitor 1: HDMI to DVI Cable (Straight HDMI to HDMI monitor should work also) Monitor 2: Active Displayport adapter to HDMI monitor (using Cable Matters Gold Plated Active DisplayPort to HDMI Male to Female Adapter - Eyefinify Compatible) Monitor 3: Built-in Tablet display I purchased that active displayport adapter from Amazon for $25 but they are sold out now and no longer on their site. Remember, it must be an active adapter, not passive. I have not tried this one but it "should" work also, http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DP2HDS-DisplayPort-Converter-1920x1200/dp/B009YC3W1Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392302982&sr=1-1&keywords=active+displayport+to+hdmi

12 Posts

February 16th, 2014 11:00

This dock is becoming a major nightmare. I have had it running now on the two new 24" Dell monitors I had to buy to get it to work, and now I turn it on today and it won't connect to the new monitors even. It doesn't even recognize they are connected anymore.. 

February 16th, 2014 13:00

Yep Its a nightmare all right and Dell will make us wait weeks and weeks more for a fix. First the lan port speed was advertised wrong. not 1000mbps but 100mbps (Typo dell claim) And then the video output issues. 

My dock is being used for the usb3 ports and nothing else. HDMI cable doesn't like 2560 x 1440p either it flashes on and off. Waste of money....THx dell

10 Posts

February 16th, 2014 14:00

I have kept my service ticket open, won't let them ose it so they call with updates.  Got a call on Friday saying the new fix will be available for download on Friday.  Hope they are telling the truth.

5 Posts

February 16th, 2014 18:00

Thanks for the update. I hope you're right.

We have 20 of these with a variety of (older) monitors and HDMI-DVI cables that I would really like to be able to make work.

17 Posts

February 17th, 2014 04:00

Any timescales on this yet Brian? It's now been 2 months since this thread was opened. Unfortunately pressure form above has meant we've had to start deploying another model of tablet. I'm happy to use the docks / tablets I have here for testing should the opportunity arise. Thanks again
No Events found!