Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2013 14:00

Venue 11 Pro dock HDMI to DVI problem

I recently just got the tablet dock hooked up to the dock and an external monitor through HDMI on the dock and HDMI-to-DVI converter to the monitor.  The resolution on the display setting in Windows shows the correct resolution.  However, on the actual monitor, there's about an inch of unused screen real estate and a purple vertical line where the screen stop working.  I've tried on two different monitor with different default resolution (1680x1050 & 1920x1200) and both have the same problem.  Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?  Using the Dell's 40-pin to HDMI to DVI works fine.  So, it seems like there's something wrong with the dock itself.

828 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 14:00

Brian, following the failure of the A01 dock to connect to my monitor my support analyst has told me that there is insufficient power on the dock ports to support adapters.  The only connections that would work would be DP to DP or HDMI to HDMI.  He wants to archive my support case.  I responded :

'I object to you archiving the case as it has not been resolved to my satisfaction.

I purchased the tablet to replace my Latitude laptop.  I used the laptop as a desktop replacement via a docking station to which my monitor was attached.

The tablet was advertised as a desktop replacement and so I ordered it and its optional dock, intending to use it in the same way.  I had no reason to suppose that my monitor would not be supported by the docking station.

You say that the only display connections supported by the dock are direct DisplayPort to DisplayPort or HDMI to HDMI because of the low power levels provided by the dock to the ports.  This is new information from Dell presumably because of the problems many people have been having with trying to use adapters to connect to their existing monitors which are still useful.

Of course this problem cannot be addressed by a firmware update.  I expect that Dell will now redesign the tablet dock to provide sufficient power.  This will take time.

I would accept two possible resolutions to this for me :

1.  Dell commits to a redesign and to replace the faulty docks as soon as this is available.
  2. Dell provides me, free of charge, with a 20" replacement monitor having either a DP or a HDMI port.

Obviously I would prefer the second option as I would be fully operational sooner, but the first option might be preferable to Dell and one tries to be understanding.  The status quo is not acceptable.'

I await a response.

Do you have any additional details on the rep you spoke to?   I'd like to chase that one down if possible.   That absolutely isn't the case.   I'm working on a dock video how to thread to get all of this in one place.  I'll try to get posted in the next day or two.   In that thread, we can collect information on what still isn't working with A01 docks so that we can get the issues fixed ASAP.    Feel free to send me a PM if you have any more details on your "technician" - sorry about the poor experience.

April 24th, 2014 03:00

I can't get any sound from the dock hdmi, have to use the 3.5mm jack for that. But if I use the mini hdmi I get 5.1

17 Posts

April 24th, 2014 08:00

Just to update you all I got fed up waiting for Dell to fix these issues so bought two new Dell E2014T monitors at £113 each direct from Dell.

One connected natively with DP, the other with HDMI all is working perfectly.  Have the tablet screen as a third screen for Lync client.

Now i just need to work out how to get touch working on both monitors (only seems to work on the primary)

109 Posts

April 24th, 2014 08:00

Just to update you all I got fed up waiting for Dell to fix these issues so bought two new Dell E2014T monitors at £113 each direct from Dell.

One connected natively with DP, the other with HDMI all is working perfectly.  Have the tablet screen as a third screen for Lync client.

Now i just need to work out how to get touch working on both monitors (only seems to work on the primary)

Who ever said "Money can't buy happiness".  Love your setup!!!!

April 24th, 2014 15:00

Nice set up. Seems to work better with Dell monitors which is a pain. I didn't spend lots of $$$ on this Asus just to have to sell it. I'm going to have to wait for A03

Doctor Who fan I see.....

17 Posts

April 25th, 2014 03:00

lol! I was wondering if someone would comment on my Tardis money box. That's where I keep my change for the coffee machine :) Have the multi-touch working on both screens now (had to do the windows 8 touch calibration) although don't know how often I will use the touch features. Just want to reiterate what a bargain these monitors were btw, can be found here: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&sku=830516

47 Posts

April 29th, 2014 08:00

We got the Dock A01 and tried to connect DisplayPort to VGA with an active adapter and it did not work.

Dell, what exactly did you fix with this product recall?

8 Posts

April 29th, 2014 10:00

My problem is exactly the same.  DELL-Brian B (on this forum) is investigating and I'm sure would like to hear about your exact configuration so as to get a handle on what is going wrong in our circumstances.

828 Posts

April 30th, 2014 13:00

Can you please review this thread and then reply there is the problem still exists?   Trying to get all of this into one place.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19580384.aspx

33 Posts

May 6th, 2014 16:00

Received the A01 version (thanks Brian) and I am still having the same issue- nothing detected using the DP with an active adapter to VGA, for projection. HDMI to HDMI for a monitor works great.

Dell rep offered to refund the dock purchase. However, I purchased the tablet (7130) to use for classroom instruction- I need the extra ports (USB and dual video outs) of the dock to be able to do that. So I'm waiting to see if they'll refund the tablet also (org. purchase is out of the 30 days, but the tablet replacement isn't). If not then I'm just going to have to keep the dock and use the mini-hdmi port on the tablet itself instead of the DP on the dock for the projector.

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 13:00

Dell really is dropping the ball on this one. On the dual port dock supplied with the Venu Pro 11 no external monitors will work with the pasive HDMI / Displayport to DVI cableswhich were supplied by Dell, despite them being detected. Have yet to test the active cables as suggested in this thread. However the single port dock supplied with Latitude 10 works fine with in conjunction with the venu Pro 11 and utilising the same cables that failed to work with the dual port dock. Dell support initial solution was to send out a tech to replace the motherboard on the Venue Pro 11 with no improvement.

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 13:00

The fuzzy image may be due to Microsoft scaling, I had the same issue with a Venue Pro 11 on a single port Latitude 10 dock. It turned out to be a win8 scaling issue and not a hardware issue.

1 Message

May 28th, 2014 09:00

I am having a problem using a display port to DVI adaptor. The venue will not recognize the monitor.  Here is my info. 

1. Venue 11Pro  7130/7139

2. http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/StarTech.com-DisplayPort-to-DVI-Video-Adapter-Converter-DisplayPort-adapt/1995678.aspx?cm_sp=Product-_-Session&ProgramIdentifier=3&RecommendedForEDC=2160885&RecoType=RP 

StarTech.com DP2DV12 displayPort to DVI Video Adaptor Converter. 

3. Dell P1913

4. Have tried 1440x900 on the monitor and both 1440x900 and 1920x1080 on the Venue.  

1 Message

July 9th, 2014 23:00

I had an issue with the Dock NOT recognizing the second monitor. Pulling the power cable OFF the dock and repowering it solved the issue immediately. I'm using a HDMI-DVI converter with a DVI-DVI cable to the monitor. The monitor is a Dell ST2420L monitor. Thanks.

July 17th, 2014 12:00

I received a FedEx package today from Dell, much to my surprise, it is a proactive replacement for the dock, indicating there was indeed an issue with the first revision. I'll try it out this weekend, but based on the other reports for the new dock, it should perform as expected. For reference: The Dell P/N is OMPT52 showing A01 The "Reg. Model" number is K10A The "Reg. Type" number is K10A001 I hope other affected users are pleasantly surprised as well. Regards, Karmicscorpio
No Events found!