Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 4th, 2014 09:00

Venue 11 pro i5-4300y Throttling

Hey Dell folks, it seems the 60C throttling is a little too aggressive. Is there any plan to increase this to 70C or better? I get throttled doing simple tasks at times..... a BIOS update to increase this would seem in order. Oh BTW, my 4300y 8/256 seems to be working perfectly. I know others have had issues, but this tablet is fantastic. I ordered a surface pro at the same time, used them side by side and shipped the Surface back.

January 6th, 2015 16:00

Thanks Doc, i got the update and the fix!!!!! You're right Dell has released a series of bios updates but they have a strict low power issue and they are avoiding gamers here. Doc I read your other post with the mods and I thought I'd share for all the noobs, no need to learn hexadecimal just follow my steps.

And yes this removes throttling.

Download the custom boot file bootx64.efi and then copy it to X:\efi\boot\ then place in a USB thumb drive.

Secondly disable secure boot in bios

Then boot with the USB thumb drive, you should be in a mini console. Then at the prompt enter the variables you want to edit. eg.

grub> setup_var {address} {new value}

The mods.txt will show you the addresses and values to change, ie the address, the default value and then the desired value.

eg

grub> setup_var 0x39  0x00     

the first is the address, second its default value and last is the value you need to change it to.

* 0xD0E        0x01        0x00 ; Package power limit lock
* 0x54        0x01        0x00 ; Platform power limit lock
* 0xD04        0x01        0x00 ; CFG lock
* 0xD0D        0x01        0x00 ; VR Current value lock
* 0x39        0x00        0x00 ; Configurable TDP lock
* 0x23        0x20        0x10 ; TCC activation offset

* 0x3A        0x00        0x10 ; Config TDP lock

These modifications are reversible.

Also you can edit the power setting for increasing the Turbo boost max using a program called bar edit. Remember to install the tvicport first.

When in bar edit locate the address FED159A0 and change all the values to 0000000

There it is done no more throttling.

ps The tablet has to be fully charged or on battery for effect to take place.

links below

www.mediafire.com/.../TVicPortInstall41.exe

www.mediafire.com/.../bootx64.efi

www.mediafire.com/.../BAR-Edit.exe

www.mediafire.com/.../mods.txt

January 25th, 2015 13:00

grub> setup_var {address} {new value}

The mods.txt will show you the addresses and values to change, ie the address, the default value and then the desired value.

When you have disabled secure boot in BIOS, you will need to then boot up into the grub.

eg

grub> setup_var 0x23  0x10 

This will change the TCC activation offset (maximum CPU temperature offset before throttling) to 84 degrees ie 100-16.

I suggest you change all the following variables in the same manner as above. Throttlestop 7 is expired moretime XTU enables undervolting for reduced CPU tempratures during gameplay. At most, without XTU, the throttling limit is hard to notice because the CPU averages at around 75°C when running games or multimedia software, such as CAD.  The throttling temprature offset in the example given is now set to 84°C (0x10) compared to the default 68°C(0x20).

• * 0xD0E           0x01        0x00 ; Package power limit lock
  • * 0x54              0x01        0x00 ; Platform power limit lock
  • * 0xD04           0x01        0x00 ; CFG lock
  • * 0xD0D          0x01        0x00 ; VR Current value lock
  • * 0x39              0x00        0x00 ; Configurable TDP lock
  • * 0x23              0x20        0x10 ; TCC activation offset
  • * 0x3A             0x00        0x10 ; Config TDP lock

1 Message

December 17th, 2014 06:00

Dell is aware that their tablet pcs that incorporate fan technology experience a major gpu fail after the thermal sensor intercepts the 60° mark that reduces the machines perfomance to nothing less than a junk scrapyard  refurbished intel 386 desktop with modded parts to serve as an excuse for a multitasking high performance i5. Its a shameful entry to the computing industry and shows how incompetent their sole architecture has been for a year plus now. Intel i5  processors are capable of handling games, and all other forms of multimedia without the disgraceful throttling shown in these surface pro clones. All gamers are adviced to abandon plans to purchase dell venue for this purpose since the embedded intel hd 4200 graphics card can only function at tempratures below 60° which means you can only play your games for 15 seconds before you are convinced enough to return your device and buy the latest playstation or xbox and be comfy with decent fps. Pc users can comfortably remain with their laptops which can be cooled with fans regardless of the spec. Tablet pcs from dell are annoying to place on your lap for mobile use and also fail as their slim keyboards have an average lifecycle of 2 months. Poor workmanship and low end user heuristics brought about this *** device since the release of low power i5 cpus. A rush to compete with microsoft and a serious lack of ergonomic design makes the venue a daft pc and a petty imitation of a similar flop, the surface pro.

5 Posts

January 9th, 2015 08:00

Hi all,

this is a great news as we are all strugglin with the throttling issue, but I am not really sure how to apply the fix.

Do you guys have a way to put some screenshots? I understand a usb stick with the bootx64.efi will be bootable automatically with only that file on it, but then what is the sense of installing the TVIC and BAR edit if it needs to be done in windows? 

Sorry but I am lost, and I think we are a lot like me awaiting for an hero! :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Message

January 9th, 2015 10:00

edit...figured it out...thank you so much!! I was about to bail on my Venue 7139...I purchased for some portable CS:GO gaming and the throttling was killing FPS...I am hitting around 45-50fps with no hiccups. Prior FPS was about 15-20 due to the stupid throttling....THANK YOU!! I'll try to make a Youtube video and share the link when I get some free time!

January 9th, 2015 13:00

Create a bootable usb stick in windows and then add the bootx64.efi. Bar edit is an alternative method of editing variables within windows.  Using the grub to change the variables can configure the power options outside of windows likewise.

1 Attachment

13 Posts

January 18th, 2015 10:00

Has anyone been able to confirm whether this works on a 7130 4300y?  I tried the bios edits and baredit (following the guide, including shutting down after applying the settings), which let me unlock the Turbo Boost Power Max option in Intel XTU.  However, Throttlestop showed that it was still throttling to around 6w under load... 

I know XTU is otherwise working, as I've been able to undervolt (with quite impressive results in games).

Thanks

13 Posts

January 26th, 2015 12:00

Thanks.  I tried setup_var 0x23  0x10 and got the following:

--> GUID doe not match expected GUID, taking it nevertheless...

expected a different size of the Setup variable (got 3526 (0xdc6) bytes). Continue with care...

successfully obtained "Setup" variable from VSS (got 3526 (0xdc6) bytes).

offset 0x39 is 0x00

setting offset 0x39 to 0x10

Is that normal or have I done something stupid?  It bottomed out at 1.2ghz in the XTU benchmark, but I think that's more likely down to the undervolt as temperatures averaged around 60c...

Thanks

10 Posts

February 11th, 2015 07:00

Yes that is same message i got and my throttling is gone

10 Posts

February 11th, 2015 08:00

Thanks a lot BALLAL ENKI you saved my device. The throttling was unbearable but its finally gone. I made a quick step by step YouTube video of the process.

Question.. is there any other tweaks that may improve performance further?

1 Message

February 13th, 2015 06:00

Thought I would add a pic of the process when you are correctly doing it. Exact same order as posted by DOCSMASHER666 (Sorry for the greasy fingerprints). BTW I used an IOGEAR GKM681R Wireless Keyboard to enter the commands (It`s got a USB transceiver).

Here`s a few screenshots of the 3DMARK App`s results:

Ice Storm Extreme before throttling mod:

Ice Storm Extreme After throttling mod:

Ice Storm Unlimited before throttling mod:

Ice Storm Unlimited after throttling mod:

My model is a 7130 i5 4300y, 4GB, 128GB, and the throttling mod works perfectly for me, actually seems like just regular usage its running a little cooler too.

13 Posts

February 15th, 2015 15:00

That's a relief - everything looked the same for me.  I'm definitely not getting any thermal throttling, but my temperatures rarely go over 60c with my voltages anyway.  Is there any reliable way of telling if it's hitting the TDP limit?  I've set mine to 12w (which should be plenty) but it's still on running at 2ghz+ for a short period of time...

3 Posts

February 17th, 2015 14:00

Are you sure you aren't still getting the thermal throttling? Throttlestop is telling me that is exactly what is happening, and running CoreTemp at the same time tells me that the power use drops to 6 watts.  Unfortunately, I can't run Intel XTU because it hardlocks my device after installing it, and I have to do a system restore from safe mode to uninstall it. I do not believe any of the throttling has changed as a result of doing the grub setup_var procedure.  My bios is A14.  Both GPU and CPU start throttling after passing 60 C still, and I'd love it to stop.

6 Posts

February 20th, 2015 15:00

If I were you, I'd figure out why XTU won't run for you.  Maybe you need to update the graphics drivers?  Anyway, I can confirm that the mod is working for me.  I skipped the bar edit bit, so I haven't boosted the TDP for the turbo, but I'm not getting any thermal throttling until it hits 84C (which it only does if I'm playing COD or something) and no power throttling until I hit my TDP setting (which is 11W for me).  It totally changes the tablet.  The only time I'm limited to the 6W is while charging, which is probably for the best given the power adapter's rating.  The thermal limit is unchanged but on 6W it never gets there because of the power throttle.  The only mildly annoying thing is having to sleep cycle to get the TDP settings working once the charging status has changed (to either fully charged or on battery).  Regardless, many thanks to whoever posted the hack!

10 Posts

February 20th, 2015 15:00

It changes the tablet drastically, performance is awesome and the battery life is still good. This mod works 100%... No throttling

No Events found!