Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 8th, 2015 13:00

Venue 7840 Lollipop: Installing or moving to SD card?

So, now that I have access to my SD card, I moved every single app possible to it. This still only leaves me with 1.45 GB left, so it won't let me install larger apps like games. The culprit seems to be the default apps and Microsoft Office.

Is there a way to install directly to the SD card or move default apps to it?

Edit: might as well mention another issue I'm having here. I made room for and installed several games and moved them to the SD card. In App settings, they show as being on the SD card, but when I look at Storage, they are actually still taking up space on the internal storage and the SD card is nearly empty. I uninstalled them, and sure enough, the amount of room on the internal storage increased, while the amount on the SD card stayed the same.

7 Posts

May 8th, 2015 21:00

It seems that lollipop allows you to move apps to sdcard but there are many limitations.  Some developers explicitly disallow.  While moving an app to sdcard still keeps the app internal it seems to move other things to the sdcard.  So your mileage will vary.  Some apps can use the sdcard for storage like google play for offline movies and Spotify can use the sdcard for downloaded music.  

Root access seems to allow some further options to move things to sdcard but I haven't gone there yet.

102 Posts

May 9th, 2015 21:00

It seems that lollipop allows you to move apps to sdcard but there are many limitations.  Some developers explicitly disallow.  While moving an app to sdcard still keeps the app internal it seems to move other things to the sdcard.  So your mileage will vary.  Some apps can use the sdcard for storage like google play for offline movies and Spotify can use the sdcard for downloaded music.  

Root access seems to allow some further options to move things to sdcard but I haven't gone there yet.

Thanks for the update, not having lollipop I didn't know if it would work well non rooted or not, as far as using sdcard for apps.

7 Posts

May 11th, 2015 12:00

Jspangler123: I use a couple of apps to help me get better mileage out of my SD card - 

1) AppMgr Pro III (previously App2SD)

2) SanDisk Memory Zone

3) Root Explorer

My understanding for apps is that you cannot completely move them to SD, there has to be an executable in the internal memory, but much else can be moved to SD.

The first app above will help you do mass movements, set up auto notifications of apps that can be moved as you install and clean app cache.

The 2nd app will help you automatically monitor the health of the SD, move data from internal and/or cloud to the SD, and perform auto backups to SD.

The 3rd is a great file explorer that lets you manage several tabs at a time (Internal / SD / Cloud) and perform the file and folder activities you need. I have heard that ES File Explorer is possibly better, but I have not tried it yet.

I have moved several games, but maybe they are not large enough to cause the restriction I too had with Word and Excel.

It has been a while since I had an Android with a a card so I am trying to catch back up. I have in a crannie somewhere in the back of my mind that there is a way to have apps install directly to the SD if they can be moved, but I could be wrong or it could be it just goes back to a much older Android version.

No Events found!