Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2014 13:00

Venue 8 3840 Google Play Store App Compatibility

Tried downloading many apps from Google Playstore and get the message my device is not supported.

Examples are "Crackle Movies & TV",  "Popcornflix"   , "WZZM 13 Weather App", "Mlive.com", "Wood TV 8".

My Dell is brand new, and running Android 4.4.4.   to troubleshoot, I removed the micro sd card, did a factory reset, and checked for updates.  The device is still not recognized by the above apps, and thus does not permit a download.    I also have a Google Nexus 7 running Android 4.4.4 and have absolutely no problems with it when downloading the above apps.

I checked the list of Google Playstore supported devices and the Dell Venue 8 3840 listed.

I was able to download the "Netflix" app, so I know some apps appear to support the Dell Venue 8 3840.

Is this just a defect in my particular Dell Venue 8 3840 or is a problem with all units.  Would someone please check to see if you rDell Venue 8 3840 unit is supported in the Google Playstore to download the apps mentioned above, and report your results back on this site or directly to me.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2014 19:00

Also found that I cannot download the "Weather Channel App".   I read somewhere that some apps require GPS to work and that the Venue 8 did not have GPS.  My 3840 version has the ability to enable location in the settings and Google Maps shows my location, so I believe the unit does indeed have  GPS capability.

1 Message

January 5th, 2015 14:00

I just got one as well and was having the same issues. I am trying to install Fidelity Investments, Citibank Online, and Instrgram which are all well known apps and I am getting the same not compatible issue. I called support last week and they replaced the tablet which I got the new one today and am having the same issues with this new tablet. The Android version is 4.4.4. A friend of mine has the same tablet and his Android version is 4.4.2 and his works just fine.

Hopefully someone can answer this.

1 Message

January 12th, 2015 05:00

Both the 3740 and the 3840 don't have GPS chips. Only the LTE versions. They use your WiFi access point for your location. Google has a database with SSID's and their location. Therefore, as long as you are in range of a WiFi access point and has internet access you can locate yourself.

A lot of apps require GPS chips, even if the apps primary function is not GPS navigation. They want to know your location for target ads and monitoring purposes. The only thing you can do is email the developer and ask them to support your device. 

October 8th, 2015 14:00

Download the APKs directly I have used this as a work around with my 3840. I was able to get many apps that when I tried to get them on the Google Play store it said Device not compatible. Some apps do work better then others. Hope this helps.

No Events found!