Mikerman
3 Cadmium

RE: Venue 8 Pro GPS?

Jump to solution
Well, now, that raises an interesting idea for the DV8P: a GPS dongle accessory that could be used on trips, inserted into the tablet's microUSB port. ๐Ÿ™‚
Silly me, they already exist and are readily available, and in at least one instance include street navigation software. Just hadn't considered that before . . . interesting! ๐Ÿ™‚
0 Kudos
SirPL
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes, I also think it's very interesting.

So, please do not disassemble your devices ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
JSEB
1 Copper

Jump to solution
The discussions sometimes deviate . I am telling that there must be some device in the form of tiny chip is installed in the motherboard which is showing in the device manager as 'sierra wireless location sensor' , and of course in WiFi only model of DVP8.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
There is no hardware GPS present, per se, but there is what is called "aGPS." aGPS uses your computer's IP address to approximate where you are but only to an accuracy of about a couple miles. Your best bet would be to obtain a true GPS receiver either using Bluetooth (for example, GlobalSat BT-368i Bluetooth GPS Receiver ) or USB (for example, GlobalSat ND-100S USB GPS Dongle).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
JSEB
1 Copper

Jump to solution
And if 'sierra wireless location sensor ' is not true GPS sensor then can circuit of any GPS device be installed internally as USB device shown in different forums.
0 Kudos
SirPL
1 Copper

Jump to solution

There is no hardware GPS present, per se, but there is what is called "aGPS." aGPS uses your computer's IP address to approximate where you are but only to an accuracy of about a couple miles.

As far as I know, aGPS uses mobile network to localize the device. Technology you described is called WPS (WiFi Positioning System). And that isn't a feature of device but of the Internet.

JSEB
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Write sir , people do not understand the difference of aGPS and WPS . The specification and price list provided by dell exclusive showroom clearly writes about GPS , although the representative there is unable to comment about the source of that specification.
0 Kudos
AugstoN
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Hi I have a Dell Venue 8 pro, I am a sailor an i'm trying to det the navionics to work on my Tablet. Navionics has a versiรณn for ipad and Android and has a webapp for Windows. But if I am Sailing and don't have a wifi connection will it work?
0 Kudos
SirPL
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I never heard about Navionics (maybe that's because I never sailed). I checked out their website and seems that there's an option to download maps and work on them without internet connection. So if You use offline maps - you don't need WiFi connection.

But, You'll need GPS signal to track your position, because V8Pro does NOT have bulit-in GPS reciver. The best choice will be external bluetooth reciver or, if you have an android phone with GPS, you can use app called 'GPS2BT' - I use it and works fine. If you have any trouble to use this app with V8Pro, please contact me.

0 Kudos
Tomkalay
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dear Mr Bronze,

That is not a good solution. Smart phone can use gps device in their hardware. I would like to suggest to dell to insert gps device default in all DELL Laptops.

BR

Min Oo Thwin

0 Kudos