Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2013 11:00

Venue 8 Pro and Video output?

The Venue 8 Pro looks like a great product, but I have a question concerning video output.  It would be great to use the Venue 8 Pro as a device hooked to an HD TV or a PC Monitor, but based on the previews I've seen, it lacks and HDMI out port.  

Is there a way to connect the Venue 8 Pro to an external display device?

214 Posts

February 15th, 2014 04:00

Despite that response by an under-informed Dell-Inda employee (??) — the Venue Pro series can beam wirelessly via "Miracast" to a  compatible display or thru a Miracast adapter, or using a USB-to-HDMI dongle. Either way, you will probably get the most-satisfactory results when projecting your desktop; high-def movie playback can be choppy. Read thru these threads referencing "Miracast" to learn more... 

October 8th, 2013 03:00

Hi MicroByte,

The new venue8 pro does not have an HDMI port. You cannot connect it to a TV or a PC monitor.

1 Message

October 8th, 2013 18:00

Thanks for the response.  I know it has wireless display capabilities so we can at least connect that way.

How about using the micro USB port?  If the micros USB port is MHL compliant we can use a micro usb to HDMI adaptor

Does anyone know if it is MHL compliant?

October 17th, 2013 09:00

Hi Klasey,

The device will not support MHL. It will come with win 8.1 which has Miracast feature for wireless display. (The other device should also be Miracast compliant)

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2013 13:00

Despite the other answer, user reports have been saying it will support a USB to hdmi converter with excellent results. The problem being, that even with a powered hub, it will not allow you to charge at the same time. Maybe that will be dixable with a firmware update.

16 Posts

November 19th, 2013 13:00

I found this while searching for another topic...

It is a dock for USB video using Venue 8 Pro.

Like Trebl1 emphasized, it cannot host video via USB and recharge at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPY4m8iY0k

December 26th, 2013 23:00

hi 

so if i buy this conector (the link is below) suposed to work? i was reading and this adapter let you show your desktop but no audio? but you think this would work? cuz i i read that it doesnt power a portable external hard drive,

http://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Display-Converter-Audio-Adapter/dp/B002CSRFD8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388127426&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+to+hdmi

1 Message

December 31st, 2013 07:00

Sure you can connect the venue8 pro to a PC monitor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPY4m8iY0k

9 Posts

February 14th, 2014 22:00

Actually, this is not. It only dose USB to a USB video adaptor.

June 7th, 2014 22:00

This adapter is for a display port to HDMI which the Venue 8 Pro has neither so not sure how you thought this would work. The USB to HDMI adapter or USB dock if they do work without sound should be able to be over come by using the headphone jack with a mini plug sound cable or Bluetooth and a Bluetooth receiver I would think. Many TVs, most monitors with speakers have the 3.5mm plug for sound or old style RCA plugs that you could use a 3.5 stereo to RCA cable. I would probably try the Bluetooth with a receiver hooked to the TV so I could still use the tablet as an input device in my hand.

This is what I mean by Bluetooth receiver
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Bluetooth%20receiver

214 Posts

June 8th, 2014 00:00

@ ASMODEUS1971:

This thread hasn't been active since a verified solution was posted to the author's question 4 months ago, so I'm not certain who youi're responding to...

The method most-often employed to project to an external display from a Venue 8 Pro, is to a Miracast-enabled TV or to an adapter like the Netgear PTV3000 connected to a TV; the V8 Pro can beam a complete audio/video wireless signal to a Miracast device over a distance of several feet — no "ports" on the V8P are involved. 

The Bluetooth adapter you linked to is an Audio adapter; however, the capability to send/receive audio via Bluetooth is also already built-into the Venue 8 Pro.

Do you have a specific question about using the V8 Pro A/V features?

June 8th, 2014 07:00

214 Posts

June 8th, 2014 08:00

To be clear, there are a few USB-based video-out solutions which will work on a V8 Pro, but restricted bandwidth thru the tablet's USB 2.0 speed won't permit smooth playback of rapidly-changing scenes. Also — the tablet cannot be charged while connected in this fashion, so the tablet's battery is quickly depleted.

Bottom line — A USB-based external video solution will yield inferior results yet cost about the same as a Miracast adapter, so why bother?

(There are many "MHL" (Mobile High-Definition Link) adapters available, but MHL technplogy is intended for use with Android smartphones and tablets; "MHL" dongles are not intended for use with Windows tablets.)

I realize that I might be answering a question that you didn't ask, but I hope this thread can remain a "one-stop" introduction to projecting video from a Venue 8 Pro to an external display.

June 8th, 2014 08:00

Actually I have had three different Miracast adapters from Belkin, Netgear and the Tronsmart T1000. This tablet doesn't work worth a *** using Miracast in my environment so you answered nothing but tried to act superior and honestly came across as a jerk.

Bottom line if you are hooking the tablet up to a bigger screen you can totally dim the backlight and change many settings dealing with the onboard display to extend battery life. The only thing inferior in any of this was the fact that Dell didn't do like other manufacturers and allow you to use a split pass through cable using he port and charging at the same time nor did they upgrade to USB 3.0.

The only other problem is you acting like because this listing is marked as solved other people who are having the same problem and looking for solutions won't find this post and for some people the USB solution may just work better.

The Bluetooth setup I mention works great also because the Bluetooth receiver can be used for audio only if needed to stream online or digital content to audio systems not equipped with WiFi and network capabilities. The Miracast adapter would not be good for this because it would require the other display device to be on for older, lower priced audio systems that didn't have HDMI capability, systems where because of limitations in quantity or just the person's preference they have the HDMI devices connected directly through the display device and a single cable ran to the external audio system.

Miracast just may not be the solution for everyone for many reasons, it doesn't work well in apartment complexes or other places that have frequent problems with WiFi interference, "noise" because of large numbers of devices using the frequencies used by routers and Miracast. It also doesn't work well with networks with a lot of traffic like families with multiple devices, game systems, tablets, smart TVs etc.  Explaining other options may help people in those situations.

"but I hope this thread can remain a "one-stop" introduction to projecting video from a Venue 8 Pro to an external display."

Explaining other options may just do exactly what you are saying you hope for this thread because sometimes the one size fits all does not fit all.

214 Posts

June 8th, 2014 10:00

@ iGetThis:

There are many splitters or hubs which will power a USB device while it's connected to a V8 Pro; some V8P owners have reported success tricking the V8P BIOS by rapidly umplugging~repugging cables while booting the tablet. However, if you've found a $9 splitter which also permits the micro-USB port to transfer data and power the tablet at the same time — without any tricky cable swaps, I would appreciate your posting a link to where I (and others) can obtain one... T.I.A.

No Events found!