Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2015 16:00

Venue 8 Pro upgraded to Windows 10 .. Camera does not work

I wanted to take a photo today and opened the Camera app. I received an error message .. "Something went wrong. Make sure your camera is connected and not being used by another app."

I checked the Device Manager and found no camera listed, but I did find an "Imaging Device" - listed as working. "Intel (R) Imaging Signal Processor 2400"  and under "System Devices" I found "Camera Sensor MT9M114" and "Camera Sensor OV5693".

I looked all over the Dell Support site and could find no driver for a camera.

Also, when I was at the Dell site, I tried the "Run a quick test for common hardware problems"  and checked "Camera". At the end of the test, I received this "We were unable to find the selected device" and it went on to suggest I look for driver updates. I did check and found nothing for a camera.

September 22nd, 2015 14:00

The best way to fix this is to install the Atom Chipset Drivers listed on the Dell Support site.  They are the newer ones listed as being compatible with Windows 10.  This will overwrite all of the Intel drivers with ones that work with the DVP, including the camera.

Once you have done that, there will be a DRIVERS folder on the C: drive that contains the expanded drivers from that package.  If you need to go back in and update a certain driver (due to an errant Windows Update) you can manually switch to the original driver from Device Manager and selecting "Have Disk."

5 Posts

September 27th, 2015 23:00

well, my camera's are finally working.  I think I found the key step, or at least this is what worked for me after dozens of trials.  I had to uninstall teh driver for the webcamera and while doing so I said delete, using the device manager.  I beleive I tried this a bunch of times, but maybe I didn't.  Next, and probablly the necessary step, unless the driver failed overwriting (which would make the deleting of the driver important), I rebooted.  Then I installed the dell driver pack again for the intel chipset.  Then rebooted again.  and now I can see the cameras.

October 16th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

1- Install Intel Atom Z3000 Series Driver from www.dell.com/.../advanced

2- Go to Device Manager, then find "Imaging Devices" right click on "Intel(R) Imaging Signal Processor 2400" and click on Update driver Software to Update your driver to this Version 603.9600.1948.31252

22 Posts

September 20th, 2015 16:00

I still have this issue and need to bump it to the top again. Sorry for the bump, but I hope to get an answer soon.

1 Message

September 21st, 2015 20:00

when I upgraded to win 10 I also had the same  problem , what I did is this: under device manager I double clicked camera (imaging device), clicked driver tab, update driver, I let the computer search for it and it found it on the hard drive and installed it. hope it works for you

22 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 12:00

More information...

Going into the Device Manager a little further and clicking on the Properties of the Camera, under the Events Tab, I find the latest event  to be 8/9/2015. It's description "Device install requested" with the following information: "Device DISPLAY\INTOF38\4&7BE4425&0&UID134968requires further installation"

I have no idea on how to do the further installation. Any ideas?

22 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 12:00

Thanks, Marc, for your excellent advice, but it does not work for me, I still get the error message "Something went wrong. Make sure your camera is connected and not being used by another app."

I'm not quite sure how to see if another app is using the camera, but I doubt that is the case as this problem occurs immediately after boot. In addition, going into the Task Manager for App History, I see it has used no memory at all

By the way, in the Device Manager > Imaging devices, the device is called "Intel(R) AVStream Camera". Is this the correct device?

22 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 14:00

Thanks, Jimmy, but I still have the same problem "Something went wrong", so I suspect that it is not a driver problem. 

However, going back into the driver properties and the latest event, under information at teh end of a long Driver Management report, I see that the camera driver status is listed as "0x0". I do not know what that means, but suspect it is telling me that the camera doesn't work.

5 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 22:00

This is a driver issue.  The crash I get after upgrading my Venue 8 Pro to 10 is this new BSOD crash collector with the error code of ATTEMPTED EXECUTE OF NOEXECUTE MEMORY. I updated the driver and now have the  intel  driver version 20.10154.5740.705, released on 7/4/2015.  Now the system has an entry of Intel AVStream Camera under the Imagine Devices, but no application sees it.

Dell - please figure out what's wrong with the camera drivers and issue a fix.

1 Message

September 23rd, 2015 12:00

I have had this same problem a few times with my DVP8.  The latest when I updated to Windows 10.  None of my previous solutions fixed the problem.  However I updated the Atom Chipset drivers as suggested and finally my cameras are working again.

Kelly 

5 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 22:00

mesa98, please tell us which driver version you are using.  Simply go to the devices under the device manager, go to the details tab, and look for the version and dates listed.

1 Message

November 3rd, 2015 10:00

Thanks Jimmy, This worked for me also. I have 2 Dell Venue 8 Pros now running Windows -10 and both cameras were not working after the upgrade. I was pulling out my hair, :) until I read your post. Thanks again.

7 Posts

January 17th, 2016 17:00

I'm having the same problem on my DV8P after upgrading to Win10.  My first attempt resulted in not only the camera not working, but several Win10 apps, including the CAMERA app would not work.  I received various error messages from the "Something Went Wrong.........." to a "Attempted to Execute Non-Execute....." (or something like that), to the app just not responding, depending on when/how I tried to launch it.  I reverted back to Win 8.1, did a "clean re-install" to factory settings, and then re-installed Win10 a 2nd time (my current condition).  NOW, all of the apps that were previously not working are now working, however I still get the "Something went wrong......" message when attempting to use either the CAMERA app, or use the camera to take my picture for my account login.

Prior to reverting back to Win 8.1 the first time, I updated all the latest drivers, including the Atom BIOS update (A13).  After I got back to Win 8.1, I updated the Intel camera driver to the version that was released in July 2015 (the latest one that I'm aware of).  At this point I verified that the camera DID WORK under Win 8.1, even with the latest Intel driver (Device Manager reports the driver as the "*Stream" version).  I read elsewhere that someone got their camera to work with a Nov 2013 version of the Intel driver, however my DV8P appears to have been shipped with a 2014 version of the camera driver, which prohibited me from "Reverting Back" to the Nov '13 driver.  So I searched Dell's site for an Intel driver pack and found one that seemed to indicate it was "last updated" in Nov '13.  I downloaded that, but when I attempted to run it / install it, Win 10 kept insisting that I already had the latest driver and refused to load the Nov '13 drivers.

I did NOT re-attempt to re-install the A13 version of the Atom BIOS update after reverting back & forth to/from Win 8.1, because I'm assuming that once the BIOS was re-flashed to the A13 version, that restoring 8.1 and re-installing 10 would NOT change the BIOS.

I'm at a loss here.  I've read and tried about everything I could find on the various blogs regarding this issue EXCEPT doing a "clean W10 install from the W10 media ISO "burned" to a USB drive (I don't have the necessary USB hub/micro USB cables to do this).  I'm hesitant to go this route because I don't want to risk loosing the option to revert back to Win 8.1 if it doesn't work.  Everything I've read seems to point to the fact that Dell/Intel needs to fix the July '15 driver so that it WORKS with W10 without a hitch.

Thanks in advance.

5 Posts

January 17th, 2016 21:00

jonybz,  I've repeatedly had issues like this on these tablets.   I suggest you uninstall the device driver, making sure it has the delete option enabled, then reboot, then install the new driver.  Don't skip any steps (most drivers/hardware isn't so fickle though). I've also found that the latest sound update is broken, but otherwise I'm able to run latest everything.

7 Posts

January 19th, 2016 17:00

Thanks for the feedback nevion.  However, I did try that too.  In Device Manager, I opened the window for the "imaging device", selected the "Intel ....stream...camera" (not the exact description), clicked the tab on the driver details (which showed the driver as dated July 2015...because that's what the Dell driver update tool installed earlier), deleted that driver / clicked OK.  At this point the imaging device no longer showed up on the list of devices in Device Manager.  Restarted the DV8P, but upon re-booting (and before I had a chance to install any other version of the camera driver) Win10 re-installed the July 2015 driver and I was back to square one (camera STILL does not work after re-installing the 7/15 camera driver...exact same symptoms as before).

I tried this a 2nd time, except before re-booting (and letting Win10 re-install the 7/15 driver) I attempted to run the Intel Driver pack (filename "Intel_Chipset_PR2.1_A00_setup_ZPE.exe", which from the description on the Dell website from which I downloaded it from, described it as having the November 2013 camera driver that I had read elsewhere fixed this issue).  However, that program ran and crashed before it was able to install the older drivers (I think it gave me some error message before re-booting........which allowed Win10 to re-install the 7/15 driver again, putting me back to square one).  I'm guessing that since that driver pack may have included a BIOS update from 2013, it freaked out when it realized I had already re-flashed the BIOS to the A13 version dated just a month or so ago).

I even tried to "Update Driver" from the 7/15 driver to the 11/13 driver from within the Device Manager window, but Win10 refused to allow this to happen since I "already have the latest driver".

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get rid of the 7/15 camera driver, which does NOT work w/ Win10, without restoring back to Win8.1.  When I DID restore back to Win8.1, I end up w/ a camera driver dated 2014 (can't remember the month OTOMH), which works fine under Win8.1, but NOT under Win10.

If Dell / Intel can't come up w/ an updated camera driver that works PROPERLY with Win10 (within a month before Win10 deletes my option of restoring back to 8.1), I have no choice but to restore back to 8.1 and give up running Win10 on this DV8P.  This is my daughter's tablet, both she and I love Win10 much better than Win8.1, but the camera not working is a show stopper.  With Microsoft threatening to sunset support for Win8.1 god knows when, then I've wasted my $$ on this Dell tablet that is doomed to be un-supported.

No Events found!