Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2014 14:00

Venue 8 Pro: when do we get 64bit UEFI and/or legacy boot enabled bios? We want android (and others)!

I note that intel have released a baytrail version of android 4.4.2 (see https://01.org/android-ia/downloads) but it requires 64 bit UEFI. 

This piece suggests it's coming: http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-slates/dell-first-to-offer-64-bit-windows-8-1-running-venue-8-pro-and-venue-11-pro-tablet

The issue appears to be lack of connected standby drivers.

This post suggests that we'll never get it: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Next-Gen-Dell-Venue-8-Pro-Venue-11-Pro-and-More-Coming-in-Q3-2014-428136.shtml

Instead, Dell will sell a new model venue 8 pro 64-bit tablet later in the year. 

Can we please have some news on this?

If there are no plans to introduce 64 bit uefi on the venue 8 pro, I need to sell the device now to get a decent price.

42 Posts

March 12th, 2015 16:00

Yup, this is what Dell reps do fairly often - they give you a positive answer, then see if it can be done, then when you are told no they tell you that it was a mistake or that rep should never have made that promise.

It's pretty clear with them releasing a new line of tablets that support 64 bit UEFI that they are not going to cannibalize their market by giving us 64 bit support. 

Threats that you will not buy Dell in the future will fall on deaf ears because they know pretty much every company will treat you the same and if you really stick to your guns on these things you will soon not be able to buy anything from anyone because every company will screw you over one way or another like this. 

Dell is not the only company to release windows tablets with no 64 bit UEFI so they know it's not like you can just run to someone else who has a better track record and will treat you better.

I think our only hope is that somehow someone hacks up a way to boot 64 bit windows on 32 bit UEFI like they did with linux.

I'm pretty bitter about this too.

May 14th, 2015 09:00

I recommend everyone join this on-going petition here below to get 64-bit support for Bay Trail. I, too, had been told by official Dell representatives and engineers that 64-bit support would come only to be burned in the end. By demonstrating through this petition there is some sound financial and popular reason to fulfill this request, we can possibly get them to go through with their promise after all:

www.change.org/.../tablet-makers-fix-the-lack-of-64-bit-firmware-on-early-bay-trail-tablets

10 Posts

May 14th, 2015 09:00

I sold mine, and I suggest you all do the same. I won't buy another Dell.

915 Posts

May 14th, 2015 12:00

I sold mine, and I suggest you all do the same. I won't buy another Dell.

LOL, with that approach, no consumer would own any consumer electronics, from any consumer electronics company.  :emotion-5:

10 Posts

May 14th, 2015 13:00

This isn't the first time they have done me wrong. A lot of those customers have gone out of business. Compaq is gone, and so are many others.

I know you were kidding, but they can doop all the grannies and non techies all they want, but they should be wise to keep the most vocal of us happy. I know I have 20-50 if not more people come to me and get advise on what to buy.

No Events found!