Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2013 09:00

Venue 8 will not charge

my new venue 8 will not charge, received it new wih 0% battery. it will not charge at all. 24 hours of charge time. no help from support line. 

35 Posts

December 27th, 2013 12:00

Ask for a replacement device. Seems like a cut and dry case to me.

1 Message

May 30th, 2014 08:00

I have the exact same problem with my brand new venue 8 (android).  Dell will be sending me a replacement.  I am posting to let people know this was not an isolated incident.  

2 Posts

June 20th, 2014 14:00

Mine was delivered today. Been plugged in for 2 hours, no charge. It knows it's plugged in but says not charging in the battery manager. Will be calling to have a replacement shipped after checking the rest of my products.

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 15:00

The problem is letting the battery run all the way down. I used my LG G2 charger on it to give it a little more juice. That charger provides a little more substantial voltage (it charges the G2's 3000mAh battery in under an hour). It charged fine on the Dell charger after that. The charger they shipped it with is not enough to get it going from 0%. 

It seemed to run fine and have decent battery life after getting it going with a different charger. If it dies again you will need the bigger charger again.

It is either a problem with the way they designed it or they aren't shipping it with a charger that can handle the juice that it needs. Good luck.

Same here.

There is no LED on Android Venue 8, right?

I got it working by give it "less voltage" charging, once it got it to boot up (10 minutes), then I switch to the charger that comes with the device.

I think the problem was that the battery was drained to nearly DEAD before shipping, as in voltage dropped below the threshold to be able to charge again.  They should charge it up and probably shut it off before packaging.  They probably didn't shut it off and it drained in the box for 2 weeks before shipping it out.

I wonder how much money did it cost Dell in reputation, replacement, and shippings for this simple practice.

480 Posts

Is the white LED on?  If not, is the power line plugged into the USB port in the correct direction?

August 3rd, 2014 16:00

Mine arrived the same way... dead and unable to charge. This issue appears to be flawed engineering with Dell unable to offer a fix. I've sent mine in four time so far. None of their repairs changed the problem which appears to be battery drain. My unit drains completely while powered off within two days. This will eventually kill the battery. It will drain to the point where it will not recharge. This flaw will turn this into a brick eventually. Dells answer is to replace parts until warranty expiration at which time, the unit will last as long as the last battery replacement. Then you've got a 200 dollar brick.

1 Message

October 17th, 2014 01:00

I'm another Dell Venue 8 user experiencing the dreaded "Plugged in, not charging" message. My details:

Dell Venue 8 3830

Android 4.4.2

No Events found!