Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2011 11:00

Venue Pro 2.12 Updates Feedback

Hi Folks,

My team is starting to see a few Venue Pro owners on Twitter reporting issues with the recent update.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. In an effort to collect more information about any issues regarding the recent update, I would like to request that you please post your details here.  This information will be shared with the product engineers as we collect it. Here are a couple of tips from our users that may help:

Thanks to @apagan66 for making the suggestion to other DVP users: "You may want to suggest that users delete media files first if they have update problems."

Also, thanks to Snake683 for suggesting: "One thing to know if you want to avoid numerous failed updates that render the, hard to find an explanation for, error code 80180005.  Sync or backup to your PC via Zune, then dump any videos, songs etc. off the phone that eat a lot of memory via Zune's Phone/Settings/Sync Groups tool.  I had many videos (just golf swings) and the update failed until I deleted them off the phone and made some room."

If the above suggestions don't work and you need immediate assistance, please contact Dell Mobility support regarding the issues at 1-800-308-3355 .  Feel free to provide any feedback you have with mobility tech calls here as well.

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Amy

19 Posts

July 29th, 2011 14:00

Hi,

RE: FIRMWARE UPDATE CAUSES INVALID SIM / SIM ERROR.

My Dell Venue Pro's firmware was:

Firmware 2250.1500.7004.029

Radio Software 2.2.50.15

prior to upgrading and after applying this release it is now listed as:

Firmware 2250.1800.7392.212

Radio Software 2.2.50.18

I now have the problem where the phone is permanently reporting SIM ERROR and INVALID SIM. Interestingly if I place another SIM which is PIN protected, the phone prompts for the PIN and unlocks the SIM! However it still reports SIM ERROR and INVALID SIM.

The history is that I have always had a similar problem with the phone, but I found that rebooting it normally allowed it to find the SIM (So every second time it would work). I purchased my phone late last year from the Microsoft Store (as the phone was released) so I expect that mine was part of the batch that had the reported problems. At the time I tried to contact Dell about the problem, however the technical support then weren't aware they even sold phones. Frustration led me to accept that having a phone that worked but just required a little love to find the SIM worked for me - until now.

I can confirm the follow, which I've tried in order to resolve the problem.

- I have confirmed the SIM works in another phone.

- I have tried a HARD RESET (About > Reset)

- I have tried restoring back to PRIOR the firmware update, this is interesting because the restore took the

FIRMWARE version back to "Firmware 2250.1500.7004.029" but the Radio Software remained at

"Radio Software 2.2.50.18" and the problem PERSISTS!

I can only conclude that the problem seems to be related to the Radio Software on the phone.

In the end I resorted to calling Dell Technical Support about the issue, they are sending me a replacement phone at the end of August (6 weeks).

On a side note the call did get me excited as the support agent attempted to inform me that my phone is locked to T-Mobile. Having purchased the phone for full price from the Microsoft Store this did get my blood pumping as I was concerned that they would replace it with a locked phone (my phone is not locked).

So, for those of you looking to update your phone (and you were an early customer like me) I thought this may be of interest to you.

Regards

Steven

2 Posts

August 1st, 2011 05:00

Hi Amy,

I tried installing the Dell firmware update several times and now have the following issues:

Either Zune Error Code 801812dd: Backup Failed. I tried using another USB Cable, anothe USB Port (Docking Station vs. Port on my Dell Notebook), but issue remained. Then I deleted all User Date (Videos, Music, Images) and retried.

Result: Backup was not performed an broke at random percentage (i.E. 1%, 7 %, 13%), Retried:

Error Code c101007b which is generic Zune Error, Device didn't recognize SIM or Storage card any more, sometimes both. Device started to reboot automatically (when not connected to PC) after 10-30 minutes.

So I retried the update again. Error Code C1010007 - I then manually removed all Data from Sync queue and from Device with Zune software. Retried:

Error C00D124D - Device Freezes completely. Disconnected, Rebooted, Reconnected.

Error Code  c101007b - Zune says there was a failure when creating restore point and suggests to completely reset device / Re-Install WP7

Are there any possibilities to get the Venuepro at least stable agaian, if not being able to install the Update?

Im a German User with a Venuepro that is un-branded an directly purchased from DELL Store.

Thanks in advance

Alex

1 Message

August 1st, 2011 06:00

Hi Amy,

I purchased a new DVP last week in the UK (from the Dell online shop) and it was delivered on Friday. It has the new firmware (as far as I can tell). I've phone Dell Mobility, but thought I'd post here: it isn't recognising the pre-existing contacts on my SIM card (otherwise the card functions normally, I can make/receive calls, etc.). I am supposed to be given the option to import the number on the SIM in the People hub, but this does not happen. I have been able to import my contacts from Hotmail/Windows Live, but those on my SIM remain inaccessible.

Steven

UK

3 Posts

August 1st, 2011 11:00

I'm not sure if this is related to that update but my keyboard is not working properly. When I open it it will not light up and if  i try to type it will not write. It was working intermittenly yesterday, today is not working at all.

Firmware: 2250.1800.7392.212

Hardware: 112.576.2.0

Radio Software: 2.2.50.18

Radio Hardware: 8250

Bootloader: 7.27.1.0

Chip SOC: 0.36.2.0

It is a venue Pro unlocked for UMTS 2100/1700/900 WV6FG

Also all languages are locked only for english, that is weird because on the manual it says I can change it and the pictures are even on other languages.

19 Posts

August 1st, 2011 20:00

Thought I would add that my replacement phone arrived this morning (That's from Friday) Well done Dell on the quick service!

UPDATE: The replacement phone doesn't make calls, the screen blanks out and the remote end can hear me while I can't hear them. One step forward two steps back.

UPDATE 2: It seems Dell are not testing the functionality of their proximity sensors because the SECOND replacement I received this morning does nearly exactly the same thing. It blanks out the screen and well at least this time I can hear the conversation because the screen is blanked out I can't end it. Nice. Back to tech support for the third time.

370 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 15:00

Hi Steven, I've sent you a msg in Twitter to follow up.

Thanks,

Amy

370 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 15:00

Hi Alex,

Can you send me a private message with your service tag and email so I can look into options for you?

Thanks,

Amy

1 Message

August 3rd, 2011 19:00

Good Afternoon Amy,

Had my DVP replaced Monday for a failing screen.  The gentleman on the 1800 number was able to offer me quick service and got my replacement to me very promptly.  Upon opening the replacement, i updated the firmware and went on my way only to find out that the screen blacks out whenever i am making/receiving a call. 

This time to make a claim, it took me almost 3 hours and I talked to 5 different CSR's and I am still not sure if the request was put through.  While I understand that not all products are perfect, I am concerned as it seems many users have gone through several replacements before they were able to get a phone that works for them.  Thank you for your time, and have a good day.

Walden

1 Message

August 3rd, 2011 20:00

I have just received my Dell Venue Pro today itself. It has been updated with the latest Firmware version 2.1.2.0.0 and OS Version is 7.07392.0 but I can not connect to the WEP encryption based secure Wi fi network. I was able to connect to the non Secure network. Am I missing anything ?

19 Posts

August 5th, 2011 13:00

I see it more as a humanitarian effort, although this is the first I have heard of increased dropping calls on the DVP. I will certainly test this a little myself.

2 Posts

I took the firmware updates and everything went fine with the upgrade.  I heard that it was supposed to improve cell reception (especially when switching between towers) but in my experience I'm dropping calls all the time now (even when at 2 bars) so not sure anything is improved.  And now my recurring failed speaker problem is back.  Ho hum, back on the phone with Dell support for the 15th time (and yes, I am counting and logging the wasted minutes of my life).

19 Posts

I have read that some people have had more joy with a slighty older version of Zune (4.7),I have updated four phones to day all using the latest Zune version (4.8) without any problems.

You could also attempt a hard reset to ensure there is enough space on the phone to perform the update. Of course this would mean setting your phone up again. (This is done via Settings->About->Reset Phone)

4 Posts

August 19th, 2011 16:00

I have seen news about this firmware update for T-mobile, but nothing of AT&T.

Does anyone know when this update is going to be available for AT&T?

I am about to throw this phone out the window and never buy anything from Dell again.

1 Message

August 21st, 2011 00:00

Just updated my phone to 2.12. Phone is still having freezing issues when downloading data over 3G and WIFI. The lower backside of the phone will heat up when downloading data and it will freeze after a minute or so resulting in me having to pull the battery to reset the phone. The phone is pretty stable when not accessing the Internet or downloading data however.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2011 06:00

Hi Amy,

I have bought last week the Dell Venue Pro (which came with the new update, produced 07/26/2011) in Germany. From the beginning I could fully read my sms. When i go to MESSAGING, i get a preview of all messages and when I open a message to see whats written, there is no text. i only see the chat "cluods" in the color of my theme, but there is not text written. i dont know what to do.

Will it work properlly with a new software update??

I looked for help on the Dell support forums, and when i entered my SERVICE TAG the pictures wasnt of my Dell Venue Pro it was a DELL SERVER. I can give you my SERVICE TAG.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you in advance,

Luke

No Events found!