Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2013 18:00

Venue Pro 8 - Works until first batch of Windows patches

I have not had a good experience with our Venue Pro 8.1 Windows tablet.

As soon as any of the first batch of Windows 8.1 patches are applied, it will not reboot into Windows. Until that time, it works well.

It goes through the "Diagnosing your PC" screen and or the "Preparing Automatic Repair" cycles, and then gives the sideways frowny face and either reboots into those screens again, just the Dell logo with the circling dots forever, or it just hangs before the logo. If I reboot enough times, having to get the bit locker key from my Microsoft account each time, it will allow me to clear the settings and do a factory restore. Sometimes, it give that frowny face on the blue screen with this error, "Driver_Power_State_Failure"

After doing the factory restore, I can get it to run well until I apply the Windows patches.

This is with or without updating it with the Dell software. This is with or without running all the following tests. This is with or without installing any other software. I have stopped even trying to install any software.

I have run all the built in tests, and I have gotten no "Fails"

I have downloaded the software titled dellsystemdetect.applicatoin, and I have run every test on it. I receive no "Fails".

Tech support is only available from 8 to 4 CST? Wow.

c

828 Posts

November 20th, 2013 20:00

Sorry to hear about your experience.   Did anything appear to go wrong during the updates?   I've put several machines through the updates without any problems, so I know that they typically work.    I'm wondering if something went wrong with the factory load on your device that is causing this.  If you are able to, could you PM me with your name, contact info and service tag and we'll get in touch with you to make arrangements to capture your unit for F/A (and get you an exchange)?

Thanks.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2013 07:00

I have not had a good experience with our Venue Pro 8.1 Windows tablet.

As soon as any of the first batch of Windows 8.1 patches are applied, it will not reboot into Windows. Until that time, it works well.

It goes through the "Diagnosing your PC" screen and or the "Preparing Automatic Repair" cycles, and then gives the sideways frowny face and either reboots into those screens again, just the Dell logo with the circling dots forever, or it just hangs before the logo. If I reboot enough times, having to get the bit locker key from my Microsoft account each time, it will allow me to clear the settings and do a factory restore. Sometimes, it give that frowny face on the blue screen with this error, "Driver_Power_State_Failure"

After doing the factory restore, I can get it to run well until I apply the Windows patches.

This is with or without updating it with the Dell software. This is with or without running all the following tests. This is with or without installing any other software. I have stopped even trying to install any software.

I have run all the built in tests, and I have gotten no "Fails"

I have downloaded the software titled dellsystemdetect.applicatoin, and I have run every test on it. I receive no "Fails".

Tech support is only available from 8 to 4 CST? Wow.

c

This exact scenario has happened to me too.  I'm still trying to figure out how to perform a factory restore.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2013 08:00

Seems like Dell has to replace my device because they sent me a defected unit.  Funny thing, when I purchased this unit, it shipped in 2 days.  But to have a replacement shipped, it will 7-10 days.  Great customer service.... /sarcasm

5 Posts

November 21st, 2013 14:00

Hiya<

if you reboot it a couple of times, you may eventually get the advanced tools repair button from which you can do a factory restore.

5 Posts

November 21st, 2013 15:00

Hiya,

OMG. I am online now with a technician from the 800 number.

He downloaded registry reviewer from their web site, not dells, and ran through some tests. Of course it found errrors, but then he decided not to fix them.

He ran through a few of Dell's Click 2 fix tool.

Now he is installing tweaking.com 

window repair all in one

OMG

1 Message

November 27th, 2013 12:00

Something like that happened to me as well. My tablet tries to install updates, gets a blue screen, tries to revert those updates, and then tries to install those updates again. It's a never-ending cycle of failed updates and blue screens.

16 Posts

November 27th, 2013 13:00

I had three Blue Screens in the same day, related to "power system" (can't find the exact log at this moment).

Earlier in the day, I was using a sleeve that had a magnetic latch.  Once I removed it from the sleeve, the errors ceased.

Regarding failure after first update, I also had an issue with the WiFi driver failing after the first update.

I had to run the system restore several times to reverse the updates.

There was a BIOS update 3.0.97.1 that was labelled for fixing the stylus issues.  Once I installed this BIOS update, I was able to run the large update without a problem.

1 Message

December 11th, 2013 07:00

Hey CCBBB23, did you ever find a fix for this? I'm having the same problem with my venue 8 pro. I've been through the reset your pc thing a view times and even turned off automatic windows updates. But I'm still running into this problem.

I updated the bios and the touch firmware but that didn't help.

5 Posts

December 11th, 2013 08:00

Hiya,

they could not produce a fix. So, I had them switch it out with a new one. All is well now. Hurry up in get in cue with tech support. It will take about 2 hours for the entire process.

c

1 Message

September 17th, 2014 16:00

I am experiencing the exact same thing.  Got the Dell Venue 8 Pro about a month & a half ago.  Worked great until the A08 firmware patch.  After that, I got the 'Preparing Automatic Repair' & 'Diagnosing your PC' screens.  Of course, it couldn't repair.  And it couldn't restore since I didn't back it up yet.  I ended up having to 'Reset your PC' which lost everything.  Took a couple days to get everything right again.  That was a week ago.  Just got it working like I like, and today it had it's first Windows 8 patches.  And I'm going thru it all over again.  'Diagnosing...', 'Preparing Automatic Repair'... and, of course, it can't fix it this time again either!  I'm totally frustrated & it's past 30 days & I can't return it to TigerDirect for a refund.  Guess I'll have to go thru DELL support, but I work 7-4 so it'll be difficult.  I loved my Dell for a month.  Now I hate it.

915 Posts

September 17th, 2014 21:00

I almost always use Dell Tech. Support eves U.S. time--no issues getting through/connecting up.

Mobile Devices (Phones) & Tablets
1-800-308-3355 24/7

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/category/Contact-Information/Technical-Support?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

No Events found!