This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2016 07:00

Venue Pro 8

Hi,

My device is not charging.

please help

1 Message

August 16th, 2016 20:00

None of the Venue 8 Pro's charge reliably. It's a known issue with this device and Dell knows about it and refuses to acknowledge it. You can plug the charger in, turn it upside down, disconnect it from the device and plug it in again, say some voodoo on top of it, and it might charge and it might not. I was once very much a fan of Dell products, after the Venue 8 Pro experience, I'll never own another Dell and I'll advise my friends that they sell junk.

915 Posts

August 17th, 2016 10:00

Did you try a different charger and/or USB cable attached to the charger?  Is there any issue with the port on the tablet that you plug the charger cable into?  Can you provide any particulars as to how/when this came about?

480 Posts

August 17th, 2016 23:00

There are two possibilities that come to mind off the top of my head.

1. The micro USB connector was forced into the tablet upside down, possibility breaking the USB port.

2. You are not using the supplied power supply.  The Dell power supply shorts the USB data lines which tells he tablet that it is connected to a high current power supply.  A generic power supply doesn't have this short and will not work unless you buy or modify a USB cable with the data wires shorted.

5 Posts

August 18th, 2016 01:00

Hi Jeff,

would you suggest I book it in?

9 Posts

August 18th, 2016 06:00

There is a possibility that your micro USB connector has been damaged. The Dell micro USB is a female connector and it is RECTANGULAR. The charging micro USB male connector has "somewhat" curved/slanted sides. Take a close look and you have to figure that out. For that problem, check out ebay for Dell Venue 8 Pro micro USB repair solutions for out of warranty unit.

I had the same problem before, however, my micro USB charging cable has worn out. A new cable replacement was the solution. Good luck!

August 18th, 2016 07:00

What does "book it in" mean?

915 Posts

August 18th, 2016 08:00

You really need to explain the situation further. 

Are you using the original Dell charger?  If not, can you switch back to it, and does that fix matters?  Are the metal pins in the port that the charger plugs into bent, so that they won't fit into the charger's plug?

5 Posts

August 18th, 2016 08:00

should i send it to dell for a check?

480 Posts

August 18th, 2016 10:00

What Mikerman said.

480 Posts

August 18th, 2016 23:00

None of the Venue 8 Pro's charge reliably. It's a known issue with this device and Dell knows about it and refuses to acknowledge it. You can plug the charger in, turn it upside down, disconnect it from the device and plug it in again, say some voodoo on top of it, and it might charge and it might not. I was once very much a fan of Dell products, after the Venue 8 Pro experience, I'll never own another Dell and I'll advise my friends that they sell junk.

I've had my Venue 8 Pro for over 2 1/2 years and NEVER have had a charge problem.

915 Posts

August 19th, 2016 00:00

^ +1.  The only charge issue I've heard about has tended to be the issue with the charge port, with its pins getting bent and preventing contact when a cable plug has been inserted the wrong way (and for which economical eBay.com repair services exist, replacing the port).

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 00:00

I have used the Dell charger, with or without the USB-A port adapter, and ANY micro-A USB cable, and never had a charging problem on my unit in 3 years.

Try a different cable, or buy a new cable if you don't have any relatively new ones.  Short of battery failure or physical damage, the only possible weak links are the cable or the port, provided you are using the supplied power block for your tablet, not an aftermarket one

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I think it is physical damage. What should I do.

Regards

Busi

915 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 14:00

Are you within the warranty period?  If so, contact Dell for a warranty repair, if you're covered.  (If you are not covered by warranty, Dell will charge you a very high amount for a repair, likely getting close to the cost of the tablet itself.)

Otherwise, do a search on "Dell Venue 8 Pro repair" at eBay--various services can repair/replace a damaged port, at a very fair price (starting at about US$30, including the return postage).  I've always been impressed by service provider MYdeviceRepair, although I've never used the service.

September 1st, 2016 14:00

i had that problem, spoke with dell support who told me it was my motherboard and it would need to be replaced (they don't check the device first) I needed to pay  $160 something or more...i looked on some different sites and tried a few suggestions, the one that worked for me was: open the back (carefully, don't use anything hard or sharp or your screen will crack) i used my fingernails and ran then around the edge until the back snapped off, unplugged the battery for 20 minutes and plugged it back in - it is now charging and turns on again. To me it was worth a try since i wasn't going to pay them more than the device was worth to repair it. I'll never buy a dell again - hope this helps

No Events found!