Crazydan
3 Silver

Venue vPro 11 7130 Freezing issues

Jump to solution

So I just received my Venue vPro 11, 7130 today (and I really do love it so far) but I've noticed that I've already encountered some technical issues.  I tried searching for similar problems, but to no avail.  

My problem is that the entire tablet freezes up periodically when not directly connected to the power source.  Sometimes the screen just goes black but I can feel the haptic feedback from the Windows button.  Other times the upper 80% of the screen turns into what looks like a star field.  It's kind of hard to explain and I can try to take a picture of it next time it happens.  When either of these problems occur, it's a quick reset and the problem is fixed, but it was kind of annoying. 

Is anyone else experiencing these same problems?  Let me know if I need to provide any other information.

Thanks!

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
itmonitor
2 Bronze

RE: Venue vPro 11 7130 Freezing issues

Jump to solution

go to Start->All Apps->Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. Click on "Power", then click "Off" next to Panel Self-Refresh. 

View solution in original post

RSteinwand
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Bios A15 dropped a couple weeks ago and I updated today. Swiping in from the edge is improved. I think my tablet is finally where it should have been when I bought it. No complaints so far.

0 Kudos
jguzek
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Here is the solution that worked for me.   My 7130 Vpro i5 was freezing every 5 minutes or so.   After I followed these steps... my tablet is working perfectly.   Just make sure you reboot between each step.

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/04/SLN290546/EN

Venue 11 Pro 7130/7139 display firmware upgrade process to improve touchscreen reliability

This article contains information regarding "Venue 11 Pro 7130/7139 display firmware update process".

Touch Panel Firmware Update

Dell highly recommends applying this update as soon as possible. The update contains changes to improve the reliability and availability of your Dell system.

Firmware installation steps

Download the required files needed for the Venue 11 Pro listed below:

1. Panel Touch Firmware on Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130/7139 Version 1.0.5, A02 6/26/2014 and Firmware Update for Samsung 10.8" FHD LCD Version 1.0.2.1 6/11/2014
  2. Venue 11 Pro 7130 A15 Mainstream 4/23/2015
    Venue 11 Pro 7130 A15 vPro 4/23/2015
    Venue 11 Pro 7139 A15 vPro 4/23/2015
  3. Intel HD, HD 4200/4400/4600 Graphics Driver for Venue 7130/7139 Version 10.18.10.3925, A04 (current as of 10/13/2014) <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Update your system in the following update sequence:

1. Flash the touch firmware while still at A09 BIOS, (or earlier BIOS version) then power the system off.
  2. Flash the system BIOS to version A15. (The system will again reboot as part of the BIOS update process.)
  3. Cold reboot the system to allow the flash to take effect.
  4. Install the Intel HD 4200/4400/4600 version 10.18.10.3496 A04 graphics driver. (Reboot one final time)
Note: If you flash the BIOS to A15 and then update the touch firmware without a reboot, you may notice a yellow ! in device manager. If this occurs, reboot the system and re-run the touch firmware flash to resolve. This occurs due to a touch controller reset by the BIOS. If this occurs, touch may stop functioning and a USB mouse or dock will be required to interact with the system.

0 Kudos
1,643 Replies
Crazydan
3 Silver

RE: Venue Pro 11 Freezing issues

Jump to solution

Sorry for the shameless bump, but this community seems really active and I find it odd that no one has commented.

I admit that I'm extremely impatient I'm just dying to fix the problem -.-

0 Kudos
MontyInNJ
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

YES, I have a 7130 i5 with the same issues (all updates from Dell and MS applied, along with the KB articles for Office) ... Stars and all. I'm leaving it on for a burn in period and if Dell doesn't supply a patch. It's back in the box next week with an RMA to Dell....   Monty

0 Kudos
DELL-Brian B

Jump to solution

Very odd.... Is this while you are using the tablet or when you are attempting to resume from suspend?    I have a bunch of these and haven't noticed this yet, so if you have specific steps to try to replicate I'd be happy to do so.

0 Kudos
MontyInNJ
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

resume from Sleep. (if you have renamed suspend to sleep) then yes. The MS button is active to bring it back to the pin code screen. But sync is gone and flying lines are going through the display. And round circles that look like stars... Must be on battery to duplicate. Display off @ 5 min, sleep @ 15....

0 Kudos
Crazydan
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response Brian. It happens while the tablet is in use, not upon wakeup. At first it seemed to happen every 10 minutes or so. I tried doing all the Dell updates and it seemed to improve,  but the glitch still happens about every 20 minutes or so. A picture won't really help, so I'll try to take a video of it occurring. Again, it ONLY happens when the tablet is disconnected from the wall charger. 

0 Kudos
DELL-Brian B

Jump to solution

OK, let me see if I can reproduce.   If anyone can capture a picture or video, that would be really helpful.

0 Kudos
Crazydan
3 Silver

Jump to solution

I do have a picture of what the screen looks like with the star field, but it's kind of hard to see.  

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A1D9CC5D21921B5F!981&authkey=!AMx5cuwMa7eXPQ0&v=3&ithint=photo...

I'll try to reproduce the tablet freezing sometime today and post a link to the video.

DELL-Brian B

Jump to solution

Wow - that is bizarre.

Can you do me a favor and check your BIOS version and video driver version?

Also, which config is this?  icore or Vpro?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Crazydan
3 Silver

Jump to solution

I think when I updated the BIOS last night, it said it was A05, but walk me through how to find out for sure and I'll let you know.  

This is on a vPro setup, model 7130.

edit:  I just looked it up.  BIOS is Dell Inc. A05.

0 Kudos