RE: Venue vPro 11 7130 Freezing issues

Jump to solution

Hi Brian,

Happy to test here too, i5 4300Y, 4GB owner. Any update on the dock display output issues? This is a real deal breaker for me.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Brian,

Happy to test here too, i5 4300Y, 4GB owner. Any update on the dock display output issues? This is a real deal breaker for me.

Understood and yes, hope to be able to communicate solutions on all of these issues very soon.   I'm actively tracking everything being reported here.

0 Kudos
ydoucare
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Understood and yes, hope to be able to communicate solutions on all of these issues very soon.   I'm actively tracking everything being reported here.

I will be glad to test a new BIOS as well.  I have 6 of these units in hand right now.
0 Kudos
tony_ansley
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

That Intel driver did not work for me.  It was suggested early in the discussion.

I did disable the powersave feature on the rapid store driver and that worked better than most in stopping the freezes.

That being said, I am still awaiting my "repaired" unit from Support so, I cannot give any long-term prognosis on my assertions above.

I look forward to the new FW over the weekend.  Hopefully, it will provide more stable performance.

0 Kudos
ydoucare
2 Iron

Jump to solution

That Intel driver did not work for me.  It was suggested early in the discussion.

I did disable the powersave feature on the rapid store driver and that worked better than most in stopping the freezes.

That being said, I am still awaiting my "repaired" unit from Support so, I cannot give any long-term prognosis on my assertions above.

I look forward to the new FW over the weekend.  Hopefully, it will provide more stable performance.

Seemed to work great for me almost all day today, then sure enough, I had a bizarre instance where I could not turn the screen off.......the tablet was working fine, but the power button did nothing to turn the screen off.  The problem persisted even after a reboot.  Only after a battery pull could I get the power button to behave normally.  After that, then I got some random freezes again.  On top of that, I just had it TURN ON by itself.  I powered it off a couple minutes earlier, then as it's sitting there, I heard the speaker "pop" like it does when it turns on, and sure enough, the screen turns on and it starts booting.  There's gonna have to be a fix for these *very* soon, or i'm sending all 6 of ours back.  We can't have this junk in a production environment.

0 Kudos
G8351427
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey J,

Check in the syslog for bugchecks. I saw something similar with one of ours (though I don't recall which) after some updates ran and it started BSODing while it was asleep and then rebooting.

0 Kudos
dasmarian
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Brian, these are an encapsulation of my issues -- I have one or two that I haven't seen posted

• The power situation is bizarre: Sometimes it won't turn off unless I hold for 10 secs to hard shutdown. Sometimes it will just shut down for no apparent reason while in use. Then sometimes when it is off, it comes on all by itself, like its possessed or something. And then finally sometimes when the login screen appears where I would type in the PIN, the GUI keyboard won't pop up, so I have no way to input the PIN and have to completely reboot again with a hard shutdown. These power-related problems are my biggest frustrations with the tablet.

• If I turn the tablet on from sleep to just see if I have email on the lock screen, then try to turn it back off within say 3 secs, the power button is usually unresponsive.

• I have a few occasional freezes for a few seconds now and then. I disabled some services (noted in a previous post) and it is not as bad as others seem to be having it, but it does still happen occasionally for 3-5 secs per instance.

• The battery life is terrible, maybe 3-4 hours max on battery if I am playing a game or even just browsing. Seems to drain even when in sleep mode. The charger is my constant companion.

• From a software perspective, every time I relaunch a music app or vid player the sound has reset to 100 and I have to turn it down. Every time.

• In the logs, I am getting hundreds of messages a day. Most are:

reset to device raid port 0 was issued / Event ID 15 from source O2FJ2RDR cannot be found / System shutdown was unexpected / Timeouts waiting for various service responses / TLS fatal error 40 - schannel error state 107 / and the list goes on. One bit of good news is I am NOT getting processor throttling messages since disabling the services noted in a previous post.

So all that said, when the thing does work, I absolutely love it. Love the ecosystem, and when the tablet is running it is incredibly fluid and fast, a joy to work with. I will hold out and hope for some fixes knowing the product is just released and needs some patching. hanks for your assistance.

I am using the pro i3-4020Y  model 7130  bios A05 incidentally.

0 Kudos
LittleB69
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This is my current status of my Venue 11 Pro 7130 A06, i5-4300Y, 8GB memory & 256GB disk. Should say up front that I have only applied two fixes since delivery.

* I have updated the Touchscreen Firmware from the Dell site * I have updated the Intel Rapid Store Driver * Windows is updated, all updates

Problems

* Ghost images on display (bubbles and crazy stuff) I do see this problem when waking my tablet from sleep. It normally stops by itself after a second or two. This happens in tablet, mobile keyboard and docked. It does not happen when I am using the tablet anymore.

* No onscreen keyboard This comes and goes with no real logic. But is rare, restart solves the problem.

* Power This is my primary problem. It seems to be draining really fast sometimes for no real reason end even when it sleeps. Identical usage style does not give identical battery time.

* Stylus Have been unable to test this part since the styles was stopped before hitting Northern europe, waiting for new stylus.

* CPU Freeze Never happens when docked and seems to mainly caused when I am using modern UI apps and when I am unplugged?

* Keyboard freeze/disconnect The mobile keyboard seems to freeze for a few seconds sometimes where as the travel keyboard did it all the time for several minutes. Since I can't  make the travel keybord flip and disable like on the surface I am currently not using it that much.

I use this system as my only device and even if the list of bugs is longer than it should be. the device is functional as my only device. When docked and powered it is bug free and fast. As a tablet the unstable power management and random lack of on-screen keyboard is my largest complain.

Unsure if it is the A06 Bios that makes this more stable. Hope the upcomming A08 Bios fixes the last problems! And where is my Stylus ;-9

0 Kudos
bribiesca
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

A06 makes it a bit more stable. I can tell you that I have no problems with battery drain while sleeping. It went a whole weekend with me and on Monday i still had 30%. This is with a lot of use and i didn't even take the charger home.

However ghost touching is still there a bit. Only have noticed it while plugged in and using it as a tablet. But it's happened maybe twice. Freezes are here and there. 

A06 makes the device usable. But I am just waiting on my dock and keyboard. Which should be here tomorrow.

Heres to hoping me having monitors that support HDMI and DIsplayPort will work. No adapters

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LittleB69
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I made my dock work with a dispaly to display cable. I was unable to make any converters work even using a Dell converter and Dell screens. It would be nice with a approve list of Displays so I had an idea of what screens that Work and wich dosent :-9

0 Kudos