SBC-INC
2 Bronze

RE: Venue vPro 11 7130 Freezing issues

Jump to solution

The only issue is the Battery Disconnect. Most often this happens on resume- opening the tablet and turning it on, I have that error. I would say, it occurs 50% of the time opening the tablet and turning it on.

That actually looks correct.   Mine does exactly the same thing.   The pogo pins are different lengths by design as well.   I was thinking that you were seeing device re/enumeration when you were moving the tablet open and closed.   From what I can tell in the video though, it is as expected.   The gap between the tablet and the dock might be a tad big, but I can definitely see the docking guide pins and the pogo pins on my devices here as well.   Are you seeing actual issues or just a gap?   The wobble is normal - in order to prevent that the hinge edges would need to come far higher on the tablet...

0 Kudos
Babel42
1 Copper

Jump to solution

While waiting for the proper BIOS or similar patch I have managed to keep the tablet quite stable in the past week by the following:

Disabled the power saving for all USB HID's

Enabled full boot procedure in BIOS

Always fully shut down and/or reboot after connecting/disconnecting dock/keyboard

Always plug out and back in again the desktop dock power cable after reconnecting tablet

This keeps the jerks to a very bearable minimum (almost none in pure tablet mode). I wish it had an option to disable the trackpad on the go (like most laptops), since it is so sensitive that even my arm hair trigger highlighting and dragging of text or other problems while typing at times. But the device is now at least usable whereas before it hasn't been...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LittleB69
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Applied the new keyboard/usb fix yesterday and I am not sure if I am having a good day but my thin keyboard has been working all day and now it even folds like the surface keyboard.. no problems yet with onscreen keyboard not being displayed. Just wanted to update.

0 Kudos
droujav
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi, here's an update on my v pro i5 7130:

Freezing was getting worse and behavior highly unpredictable when docked, was counter-productive for work and ipad users were making fun of me. Dell asked me to return for fixing which I did.

Just purchased a Surface Pro 2.... omg it works !!! Flawless I am now fully productive. 

The Dell Venue has the following advantages over the Surface:

1- lock port (Microsoft forgot to drill a whole on the Surface!! we use these things at work, it is not a ipad toy)

2- lighter (Surface feels like a laptop without a keyboard, Dell feels more like a tablet)

3- better docking design (Surface dock seems like an afterthought) both designs and lack a lock port...

The Surface has the following advantages over the Dell Venue:

1- it works !!

2- kick stand (very useful, always present)

0 Kudos
Billabongo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes, there is no doubt the Venue Pro 11 has a strong advantage over the Surface 2.

I am piloting over 100 of the Venue Pro 11 i5 vpro 7130's, as well as 10 5130's.

This is our initial purchase, after exhaustive comparisons with the Surface 2 Pro/RT.

The serviceable battery, weight, pricing advantages for the unit and also the accessories was a no brainer.

We started with the 5130's when they first were released. Then in mid December, we began ordering the 7130's for review.

After initial reviews and testing concluded the 7130 as the clear winner, we have ordered 130 7130's,

This is in a large AD environment. The tablets will be used to replace laptops as they get phased out.

Eventually we will have 4000-5000 of these. IF the freezing issues are addressed.

My concerns right now are the stability of the 7130's. Regardless if Docked, tablet only, tablet with slim/hard keyboard... the issues are identical.

The problems are centered around the sata controller/ssd disks.

All of the units began to exhibit the freezing right out of the box.

Watching the activity of the processes, the disk will suddenly begin to ramp up to 100% usage (despite no visible task causing the problem).

Then the entire system freezes, for about 20seconds.. then comes back to life and acts normal.

This occurs nearly every 2-5minutes.

The event viewer logs the errors:

Warning iaStorA     Event ID 129

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

My own personal unit (2nd one now). Is so unstable, it is nearly unusable.

Even completely right out of the box, with all updates and no other installs.

The tablet wont freeze as long as your not doing multiple tasks.

If you have say, have IE open and start using windows explorer to look at files or directories. After a few clicks it freezes.

Basically anything that needs disk access for an extended period of time, will make the freeze occur.

Even in the time it took me to finish this post, the 7130 locked 3 times!!!

I can say the freezing issues (7130 mainly) is horrible.

These issues need to addressed NOW more importantly they should have been addressed at the launch.

If there ever was an early participant program for the bios access, I (our) organization would be a prime candidate for this, as were a large purchasing customer.

0 Kudos
josemh
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

My concerns right now are the stability of the 7130's. Regardless if Docked, tablet only, tablet with slim/hard keyboard... the issues are identical.

The problems are centered around the sata controller/ssd disks.

All of the units began to exhibit the freezing right out of the box.

Watching the activity of the processes, the disk will suddenly begin to ramp up to 100% usage (despite no visible task causing the problem).

Then the entire system freezes, for about 20seconds.. then comes back to life and acts normal.

This occurs nearly every 2-5minutes.

The event viewer logs the errors:

Warning iaStorA     Event ID 129

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

Even in the time it took me to finish this post, the 7130 locked 3 times!!!

I too was experiencing this same issue.  I was able to solve it by following webraider69's instructions to disable Intel Rapid Storage.  Here is the quote from this page:

I had similar hang issues.  looked in the event viewer and found a system event 129 coming from iaStorA noting that a reset was sent to the hard drive.  Did a Google search and found that this is related to Intel Rapid Storage Driver.  You need to disable Link Power Management.  Got to the desktop hit the ^ in the toolbar to see active application.  Click the one that looks like the hard disk and has a bubble help stating it is Intel Rapid Storage.  Right click and open the application.  Click on the Performance icon and click the disable link.  Reboot.

0 Kudos
Billabongo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@josemh

Thanks for the info!

I am testing this out now, really hope it resolves the hangs until the driver/bios can be fixed.

0 Kudos
next_milenium
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

I tried the rapid storage work around and I found the battery drain to be excessive and had to revert.

0 Kudos
josemh
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I tried the rapid storage work around and I found the battery drain to be excessive and had to revert.

I agree that the battery drains faster with this disabled. But I prefer to have a little less battery than an unusable tablet.

0 Kudos
next_milenium
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

[quote user="next_milenium"]

I agree that the battery drains faster with this disabled. But I prefer to have a little less battery than an unusable tablet.

[/quote]

I agree. Mine is somewhat usable without making the changes to rapid storage so I was able to revert. 

Check back of your tablet after you make this change after you put it to sleep. Mine got very warm while it was in sleep so that's why I had to revert.

0 Kudos