Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2010 06:00

Were is our missing 256mg of Ram on our Venue Pros?

I am sure we are going to here 10 different lies about thi

18 Posts

December 24th, 2010 14:00

Who's lying? Please show me any specifications from Dell that indicate that the device is supposed to come with 512MB.

December 24th, 2010 17:00

I would, but now that everyone is screaming about it and posting about it, they have removed the RAM specs from the Dell site for the Venue Pro. Don't you find it odd, that under the specs, all of a sudden they don't mention RAM?

18 Posts

December 24th, 2010 18:00

Do you have proof that it was there before?

December 24th, 2010 18:00

I didn't do a screen dump, because I didn't expect something like this to happen. Ask anyone else that bought a Venue Pro and studied it before their purchase. They advertised it as 512MB of RAM, jut like each of the other WinMo7 phones has gone with.

3 Posts

December 24th, 2010 22:00

Yup Dell advertised this as having 512mb RAM. Good job, yet another screw-up :emotion-20:

6 Posts

December 25th, 2010 08:00

what surprises me is that the device runs very snappy with only 256 mb ram. Well, save from the lockups...

I am very surprised at the news too just posted something about it myself...and I will be getting a replacement device soon

5 Posts

December 25th, 2010 23:00

What worries me is that Dell hurriedly changed the DellVenuePro page's technical specifications, and now all information about the RAM is conspicuously missing.

Should i just return the phone and forget about the whole affair? What a nightmarish experience it has been.

13 Posts

December 26th, 2010 05:00

11 Posts

December 26th, 2010 07:00

I'm getting about to the 'my last Dell' stage myself. I've spent a ton of money on Dell products over the past few years and Alienware since they bought it (so I know I have to be helping their margin lol). It shouldn't be the end of the world but with all the lockups, hangs and crashes I've had with what is otherwise seems to be a nice device, if I really only got 256MB of memory its sort of just another annoyance. Yes, the phone still works - but not well - and unless Dell can come out and tell me that has nothing to do with the memory, I'm always going to be suspicious. I also don't know enough to know whether this will affect multi-tasking when Microsoft eventually pushes that update to the device, so yet another thing to wonder about for me.

So I'm debating returning it and finally calling it quits with Dell just so I don't have this sitting there in the back of my mind.

6 Posts

December 26th, 2010 07:00

difficult to say the dvp is a great device. However. the experience from dell has been anything but pleasant. And I have since decided this will be my last dell device (after the dells I've purchased including the xt and the xt2 tablet convertible)

it really is a HUGE shame because I enjoy the venue pro save from the ram and other issues I've noticed out of the box and posted on youtube.

In essence dell needs to get their acts together ASAP

2 Posts

December 26th, 2010 16:00

if you go to microsoft's wbesite 

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/windowsphone/glance.aspx

it states that the phone is supposed to have  512MB DDR SDRAM.

I have contacted dell, and they will be sending me a new device.

EDIT: overlooked the post, but i see someone else has posted the same link.

18 Posts

December 27th, 2010 06:00

Are you sure they're going to be sending you a new unit that actually has 512MB? Has Dell confirmed that it's supposed to be 512MB?

6 Posts

December 27th, 2010 06:00

I am getting a new device soon too, but I doubt it will gave the appropriate amount of ram on the device though...

16 Posts

December 27th, 2010 10:00

Called in this morning and getting replacement sent.  The freezing and the Constant change from 3g to Edge to no signal was way too much.  I mentioned the memory issue but the agent did not comment on it.  I still think this is a software issue.  The specs DID mention 512 MB of RAM.  I remember seeing that.  Also, all the information Dell released to the media included that spec.  Right now it seems to have been taken off the website, but I know it was there.  If I get another one that reports 256 MB, I am sending it back.

6 Posts

December 27th, 2010 12:00

to stop 3g -> 2g

dial ##3282# hit the call button

go to settings and switch from automatic to 3g only

As far as the issue with RAM, good question I'll tweet amy to see if it can be verified. It would be really bad with gorilla glass, amoled, keyboard (slide out), curved glass, that dell would gimp the RAM

But on the otherhand we don't know how much ROM the device has either. Or a nice firmware that is available for dl. I checked, no go yet. I want to get my hands on that actually

No Events found!