Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2015 09:00

Windows 10 and Venue dock DisplayPort

I upgraded my Venue 7140 to Windows 10 while working from home yesterday. Everything works including the dock on my desk where I have an external monitor connected through HDMI.

Today, I get to work where I have a second dock and a monitor connected through DisplayPort.  This monitor is not recognized. Worked under Windows 8.1 just fine.

Tried to update the dock firmware but... well, dock firmware won't update unless it recognizes an externally connected monitor. Seems kind of stupid... monitor isn't recognized so lets update the firmware but the firmware won't update because the monitor isn't recognized. Whoever created this chicken/egg scenario over at Dell needs to be sacked.

Is anyone else having problems with the dock DisplayPort on Win 10?

Bonus question, anyone know how to update dock firmware when the external monitor isn't recognized?

5 Posts

September 28th, 2015 13:00

My contact actually just pinged me and suggested a newly released driver from Intel:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25274/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10

I don't have my system handy to test atm and he said the Dell engineering team is still working with Intel on the fix, so this is just a shot in the dark.

Gary: My original setup was two P2314H using DP<->DP and HDMI<->DVI.  Neither of which worked.  So I tried HDMI<->DVI on the following monitors which all worked: Dell 1907FP, 2208WFP, U2311H, U2412M, and Samsung SyncMaster XL2370.  And the following dual setups work: two U2311H DP<->DP, HDMI<->DVI; two 2208wfp DP<->DVI, HDMI<->DVI 

16 Posts

I am having the Identical issue.   I've downloaded every driver I can find.  Even forced the latest Intel driver.

Maybe that is didn't get notified yet for the Win 10 upgrade.  I did the install from the Win10 Download Tool.

I'm using my HDMI port until the appropriate driver comes along.

32 Posts

And, some bonus awesome. The monitor is a Dell p2214hb which, after reading a trouble shooting thread on this form, may only work "10% of the time" using DisplayPort on the dock. Who knew that Dell products only work with Dell products 10% of the time?

Anyway, I found a passive HDMI to DVI connector and hooked the monitor up that way. Still no joy. No signs of life whatsoever.

Anyone have a clue? This small screen is fine when traveling, but is really no good when trying to do anything productive at the office.

16 Posts

August 5th, 2015 10:00

My HDMI adaptor is the one that Dell sent with the Tablet when I ordered it.  I'm actually using the HDMI on the Tablet.  Its the HDMI mini to DVI.  I don't have a HDMI large to DVI adaptor.

32 Posts

Ah, gotcha. I don't have a mini-HDMI adapter handy so I'm stuck using the ports on the dock.

32 Posts

My monitor at work doesn't have an HDMI port. But, I tried an HDMI to DVI adapter (passive) which has the same problem... no recognized external display. I know the adapter worked in the past because I used it for a few days before stumbling upon the DisplayPort cable in a supply closet.

As with you, I've tried multiple drivers including down-grading to a previous version for Win 8.1 and nothing has worked.

So... is your HDMI connection direct or through an adapter? And if adapter... passive or active?

32 Posts

August 5th, 2015 11:00

So, on a whim I booted the tablet off an Ubuntu live USB stick and guess what? DisplayPort works fine on the dock. So does the HDMI to DVI adapter. No audio device is recognized, but that's a long standing issue with the tablet BIOS and not related... I just wanted to complain about it.

Seems this is 100% a problem with the display drivers under Windows 10.

16 Posts

August 6th, 2015 11:00

Windows 10 Drivers are available on the Dell Support site( Dell Command doesn't list them yet.)

32 Posts

August 7th, 2015 07:00

Did the driver work for you?

I spent some time chatting with Dell support yesterday who had me try that driver, which is version 10.18.15.4248 A01. Unfortunately it did not resolve the issue for me. Display port is still dead on the dock. I reverted back to the Windows 10 default driver, version 10.18.15.4256, which is actually newer than the one Dell is suggesting.

1 Message

August 11th, 2015 00:00

I've got it similar.

The HDMI on mine isn't being recognised after Win10 'upgrade'. The dock is used daily to stream video to a large TV, and now it just isn't recognising the TV is even connected. Can't try other drivers for the same silly Dell reasons as mentioned here. I'm just using the tablet as an entertainment device, but a broken dock will be catastrophic for business users. The Win10 Intel display drivers could be a cause, too, but been unable to roll them back either. Pretty sure my first attempt at Win10 upgrade worked just fine with them. Not liking the Win10 power experience at all.

32 Posts

August 18th, 2015 15:00

Did anyone find a fix for this?

Dell support wants me to ship the tablet in for repair. I'm a bit confused as to what exactly they are going to repair since this appears to be a driver problem.

5 Posts

August 31st, 2015 14:00

I spent several hours in chat with a Dell rep today on what I believe is the same issue with a brand new Latitude 13 7000 (7350 Late 2014).  Upgraded to Windows 10 before performing the firmware update on the Dell Tablet Dock v2.0.  The dock is also brand new, so I can't be sure the firmware update will fix the issue or if it is a separate driver that needs to be updated.  The firmware can't be updated because an external monitor is not recognized.  We tried installing the latest video driver while the tablet was undocked and also installed the latest DisplayLink driver with no effect.  The rep is reporting the issue and hopefully we'll get an update soon.  Service request #<ADMIN NOTE: service request number removed per privacy policy>

Only suggested solution for now is to roll back to Windows 8.1.  I'm going to see if I can get the dock firmware updated another way before I resort to that.

5 Posts

September 1st, 2015 10:00

Dock firmware confirmed to be the latest available from Dell.  I was able to confirm by installing Win 8.1 on an external USB drive from the Dell recovery disk.  External monitors were functional under 8.1 after simply installing the video driver from the Dell site. 

To recap, I have two (or one for testing) Dell P2314 monitors, connected with Dell supplied cables, to the Dell Tablet Dock v2.0, with the Dell Latitude 13 7000 2-in-1 (7350, Late 2014) 256GB model.  Works perfectly in Win 8.1 and the Dell support site says that this product has been "tested" to confirm it can upgrade to Windows 10.  As this is brand new business system and there will be significant time and productivity lost in rolling the OS back to 8.1, I hope that Dell will have a solution soon... even if it's a Microsoft problem (others are reporting similar problems with HP systems and even the Surface Pro 3).

2 Posts

September 28th, 2015 10:00

Is there still any timetable for a fix for this? I've got the same issue with a Venue Pro 11 7140. Dual external displays on the dock (one DP and one HDMI) works perfectly fine in Win 8.1. When I upgrade to Windows 10, I can't do anything to get either one of the external displays to work. I've tried HDMI and the DP individually. Dell support told me originally it was a chipset driver and I should roll back to 8.1 until they released an updated chipset driver. I waited a couple of weeks, and finally saw one on the dell support website so I upgraded back to 10, tried it to no avail. The only way I've been able to get a second screen to work is to plug in a HDMI dongle directly to the tablet itself. I've tried pretty much every driver that dell supplies as well as trying to get drivers direct from manufacturer. When I roll back from 10 to 8.1, the displays work perfectly like nothing has changed. When I "upgrade" back to 10, external displays don't work. I've been back and forth 3 times. I really need to be able to get on 10. 

5 Posts

September 28th, 2015 13:00

Hi Brooks.  First, I narrowed my problem down to Win 10, the tablet dock 2.0, and the P2314H model monitor specifically. Everything works fine with about 6 other monitor models and manufacturers that I tested.

I got my case elevated to a Resolution Expert at Dell who confirmed that this is a known issue with the dock and Dell is working on a fix with Intel.  The Dell expert is updating me periodically.  Latest update was on 9/21 and stated "... a driver update is in the works. We are monitoring and plans are to post driver update in the next couple of weeks."

I'll post back when I know more.

No Events found!