Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2015 09:00

Windows 10 and Venue dock DisplayPort

I upgraded my Venue 7140 to Windows 10 while working from home yesterday. Everything works including the dock on my desk where I have an external monitor connected through HDMI.

Today, I get to work where I have a second dock and a monitor connected through DisplayPort.  This monitor is not recognized. Worked under Windows 8.1 just fine.

Tried to update the dock firmware but... well, dock firmware won't update unless it recognizes an externally connected monitor. Seems kind of stupid... monitor isn't recognized so lets update the firmware but the firmware won't update because the monitor isn't recognized. Whoever created this chicken/egg scenario over at Dell needs to be sacked.

Is anyone else having problems with the dock DisplayPort on Win 10?

Bonus question, anyone know how to update dock firmware when the external monitor isn't recognized?

32 Posts

September 28th, 2015 13:00

... I narrowed my problem down to Win 10, the tablet dock 2.0, and the P2314H model monitor specifically. Everything works fine with about 6 other monitor models and manufacturers that I tested.

I'm very interested to know what other combinations you got working.  I have 2 monitors readily available for testing.

- Acer K272HUL

• HDMI <-> HDMI works
  • DisplayPort <-> DisplayPort does NOT work
 - Dell P2214H
  • HDMI <-> DisplayPort does not work
  • DispalyPort <-> DisplayPort does not work

I got my case elevated to a Resolution Expert at Dell who confirmed that this is a known issue with the dock and Dell is working on a fix with Intel.  The Dell expert is updating me periodically.  Latest update was on 9/21 and stated "... a driver update is in the works. We are monitoring and plans are to post driver update in the next couple of weeks."

Man, I have to poke my support contact every few weeks to make sure they haven't forgotten about me!

32 Posts

My SR with Dell Support was escalated up the chain over a month and a half ago but I have yet to hear anything. It is very frustrating.

32 Posts

And we have a winner.

I didn't download from the link, I simply went to the Win 10 Device Manager, found the video adapter and selected to search online for an updated driver. I'm now running driver version 10.18.15.4279 with a publish date of 8/24/2015 and I have working DisplayPort connections on my dock!

32 Posts

September 28th, 2015 14:00

Funny you should mention the system tray utility.

The current instance of Win 10 I'm running is as clean as I can make it... I have installed absolutely zero drivers or fluff packaged by any vendors, including Dell. The only things it has are what Windows found and installed by itself. And, oddly enough, I've got the Intel HD Graphics system tray and assorted utilities.

32 Posts

I was downloading the 64 bit driver from your link at the same time I was installing the one Windows Update found on its own. Even though I have things working, I extracted the driver you linked to check and the embedded driver file is also version 10.18.15.4279 so it looks like we are consistent. The intel provided package seems to contain additional goodies which, to be honest, I'm not sure are included in whatever Windows grabs natively when searching for drivers. Unfortunately, the Intel installer refuses to run on my system, saying something about the driver being invalid for my computer and how I should go get an updated driver from my manufacturer instead.  Odd.

5 Posts

Good to hear.  I know that Intel does a check now against the major manufacturers and won't let you install the generic if the mfr publishes their own.  The workaround is to download the zip from Intel, extract, and then use the device manager to update the driver manually.  Or, as you figured out, I guess just use Windows Update.  Doing it this way probably won't install/update the Intel HD Graphics utility in the system tray, but that's not a big deal as long as it works!

Thanks for the update.

2 Posts

September 28th, 2015 16:00

That driver did the trick for me! Finally!!! I can move on with life.

32 Posts

September 29th, 2015 10:00

Did anyone else lose auto-rotation of the built in display after upgrading to this driver?

1 Message

February 22nd, 2016 23:00

Thanks!! this fixed my problem. Simply updating display driver from Device Manager

1 Message

July 6th, 2023 03:00

Hi Gary Parr, Install Dell Command update Software and check for updates and install. It'll look for all firmware updates automatically this you just click on install and need to reboot your system once it's installed properly and your problem will be resolved. I hope this'll helpful 

No Events found!