Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2015 16:00

Windows 10 build 9926 unusually high CPU utilization on Venue 11 Pro 7130 i3

Setting how other Venue 11 Pro 7130 owners were having good success in running the Windows 10 preview, I today performed an in place upgrade from 8.1 to 10 build 9926 (the one with Continuum, which is great) but I'm having the issue of a constant high CPU load between 50 and 99 percent, with no obvious culprit in the task manager. Before setting out to format and perform a clean install I wanted to ask if anyone else had been experiencing this issue.

EDIT: the unusually high load seems to be sparked by a process called Windows Driver Foundation - user mode driver framework, whose executable is wudfhost.exe.

A complete reinstall didn't help.

EDIT 2: should someone encounter the issue, completely disabling the service named "Windows Driver Foundation - user mode driver framework" helped, with seemingly no ill effects, even though after the odd restart it may need to be disabled again.

As a disclaimer, I'd like to point out how generally it is never a good idea to go mucking into services.msc.

25 Posts

January 24th, 2015 22:00

Some information regarding my experience with the Windows 10 Preview, both pre-and-post Cortana on a Dell Venue 11 Pro:

1. The build(s) before the latest 9926 Technical Preview were far more similar to Windows 8.1
    1. They shared the same start menu and app store. It was almost like 8.1 with all it's bugs ironed out - and a few goodies tossed in. Worked really well on my V11P.
  2. The 9926 build adds many great new features - but also adds tons of bugs .
    1. Look all around the net and you'll see common issues that are corroborated by many users of the technical preview. You'll have to take the good with the bad.
  3. The in-place upgrades (Going 8.1 to 10) are problematic - ESPECIALLY with the newest 9926 Technical Preview
    1. My installation of the latest Win10 build, migrating my settings from 8.1 resulted in an install with tons of issues. My active stylus barely worked - the HID sensor driver would fail to load and have issues. It'd go to sleep mode and never go into low power, draining my battery. It'd 100% consistently fail to wake from sleep - I'd get a black screen that requires a hard shutdown and reboot. I also had the really high CPU usage with the WDF service. As mentioned above.
    2. All in all, lots of things don't really line up as you'd expect - and it's honestly not worth the trouble doing an in-place upgrade.

So with all of that said - what was the solution?

Fresh install. 

Here are the steps to getting the best installation of Windows 10 on a Venue 11 Pro (as I know it - from my experience). 

1. Download the ISO version - install it to a USB disk with the Rufus utility 
    1. Boot to it by pressing volume up a few times during boot till you get to the boot menu. Then use volume up to move down the list - volume down to select the highlighted boot device.
    2. After installing to the USB drive - copy over the latest copy of the Dell Wireless driver for your Intel/Dell wireless card, a copy of 7-zip, and a copy of the latest Dell Driver Pack CAB file for the 7130 to a directory on the USB Drive (make one, name it drivers or something).

2. Install the Windows 10 Technical Preview
    1. Delete all partitions on disk 0 (or whatever your SSD is) until you have one unpartitioned space - and install to it.
  3. When you first boot - your display will be slow/choppy as all hell!
    1. This is primarily due to the fact that there are very few compatible drivers baked into Windows 10.
  4. Do not start installing drivers from the Dell site - many will prove to be obsolete.
    1. Only install the Dell/Intel Wireless drivers so you can get network and internet connectivity
    2. Then install 7-Zip and extract the Dell Driver CAB file to a directory on your C:\ called "C:\Dell"
  5. Now you've got a network connection - start Windows Update
    1. Windows will begin downloading drivers for various Intel chipset devices - including video.
    2. It'll ask to reboot - let it.
  6. Now - if your tablet is anything like mine - after it reboots, it will start flickering like all hell.
    1. This is the Intel Video driver freaking the hell out. Your tablet may crash - just persist through the pain and keep going.
    2. I found mine to freak out more with using the touch screen - so I plugged in a mouse.
    3. Mine was fixed by disabling "Panel Self Refresh" in the Intel Graphics options menu (Right click desktop, Graphics Options). This setting is found under the power options section.
      1. Do so and reboot. My flickering stopped afterwards.
  7. At this point - things worked as I expected and wanted, but open Device Manager
    1. (Start Menu - type "Device Manager") -- or -- (Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Device Manager)
    2. There was one last device without a driver, SM Bus Controller. Right click - Update Driver, and point it at the D:\Dell directory you extracted the CAB file to.
    3. It was't until I installed this device's driver that it would go into connected standby correctly.

Now - a word of caution. Unlike the earlier builds of Win 10 - my connected standby sessions drain about 1,500mW/hr. This is what I saw in Win 8.1 no matter what I tried - I wonder if there's some kind of driver issue - and needs replacing. My sleep study reports show no offenders - everything is running for less than 1% of the sleep cycle, but the hardware isn't going down to C3 sleep state, which is where the power drain is coming from. Seems like a chipset driver of some kind of malfunctioning - I'll do a trace and try to isolate the issue.

Other than this - everything has been MUCH more stable. Sleeping (though draining battery) are rock solid consistent, I don't have the high CPU usage in the WDF service anymore, and the active stylus is working exactly as it should.

I'm going to shut it down between uses for now - and keep testing and see if there's a chipset driver or something that fixes this.

4 Posts

January 27th, 2015 07:00

I wish I had seen your post earlier. You need to let this process run. It optimizes and compresses drivers after installation. It took a day or two of use with my Surface Pro 3 (i5 8GB) to finish. It took a little longer on the Dell Venue 8 Pro. Trust me it WILL finish and then your computer will be ready to use, and should be working properly.

43 Posts

February 6th, 2015 10:00

To summarize what I've found out for now:

I performed a clean startup, i.e. no non-MS services enabled (can be done from msconfig), followed by restarts enabling all those services one after the other (they should be at most a dozen) and it appears that the Realtek Sound Service is the culprit. Disabling it solves the problem most of the time with no apparent ill effects.

When it comes up the process is easily killed via task manager with, again, no apparent ill effects, but this surely isn't the optimal way.

25 Posts

January 24th, 2015 17:00

Also - my tablet is hemorrhaging battery power in sleep again. The first windows 10 preview was fantastic and fixed all my issues with 8.1 when it came to connected standby. With this new preview, battery consumption is through the roof again.

Powercfg's sleepstudy shows cortana is keeping the system from entering the low power state.

25 Posts

January 24th, 2015 17:00

I can confirm this issue. I have had the OEM 8.1 pro install, a fresh 8.1 pro install from disk, as well as the first win10 tech preview - and haven't seen this issue till now. I see the same high CPU utilization by the WDF user mode driver framework.

I also have a black screen when resuming from sleep - which I have also seen in 8.1 installs. Seems like the drivers are woefully out of date. Gotta love how you cannot install drivers directly from Intel and are at Dell's mercy

43 Posts

January 25th, 2015 01:00

This has to be the mother of all posts, thank you very much for the time taken to write it!

One question, though: in which category is the SM Bus Controller you mentioned?

EDIT: regarding the Connected Standby drain, as a workaround for when you positively cannot close a session I'd suggest disabling it via registry edit. Resuming from S3 standby is a bit of a fuss (you have to either press the windows button on the tablet or close and reopen the keyboard, and then touch the display or a key), hibernation is reliable.

25 Posts

January 25th, 2015 07:00

The SM bus controller will automatically be exposed in device manager since it won't have a driver. It'll have a little yellow exclamation point on its icon. I think it'll be under unknown devices.

Once installed its recognized as an Intel Series 8 chipset device.

43 Posts

January 25th, 2015 07:00

Got it, after I bit the bullet and did a clean install again it, this time according to your procedure, it showed up nicely.

You were right, the flickering at first was horrible, as in a window of one second each five seconds of a functional screen. Disabling panel auto-refresh solved it, as you said.

25 Posts

January 25th, 2015 19:00

Excellent. Glad I'm not crazy. There are reports on the Windows 10 Insider Forum about folks with Surface Pro 3's with the same insane flickering - so it's not just us. Very glad my procedure works!

I have tried using the Dell Supplied Chipset drivers as well as even more recent drivers sourced directly from Intel - and nothing is allowing the system to enter the low power state in hardware. There's no offenders keeping it awake - it just fails to enter the power saving state on the Core i3 chip.

Because of that - I enabled hibernation, and left connected standby enabled. Changed it to go into hibernation when I press the button and are mobile - and go into connected standby when I'm plugged in (or docked).

Working great for me so far - solves all my issues.

25 Posts

January 27th, 2015 09:00

Good catch! Upon re-installing, this wasn't ever an issue - so it must be after you do an in-place upgrade. Some people have reported it running amok and never stopping - so know where to draw the line, I suppose.

43 Posts

January 28th, 2015 11:00

And it's back: after the latest Windows updates WDF returned. I'll just let it run this time and see if it disappears.

43 Posts

January 28th, 2015 12:00

It disappeared when in control panel I agreed to "finish installing drivers", which in my case was a the control center for MS mice and keyboards.

43 Posts

January 29th, 2015 12:00

It returned after the latest BIOS updates, which include an update of the Management Engine firmware. Device manager after installing also the newest audio drivers shows no missing drivers, so this time there is no obvious alternative to letting it run.

3 Posts

January 29th, 2015 15:00

Thanks for the help.  The flickering was driving me nuts trying to figure it out.  On mine, number 6, was under Intel Graphics/Properties/Power  

Relief, now I can move on.

1 Message

February 5th, 2015 08:00

How did you enable hibernation? I can't seem to do it on my tablet.

No Events found!