Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2015 11:00

Windows 10 killed my Venue 8 Pro :(

As Windows 8.1 became increasingly frustrating to tolerate on my Venue 8 Pro, I eagerly upgraded to 10 as soon as I could. For a few days it seemed to be OK if a bit sluggish, but recently it's almost completely useless. 

If I put it to sleep for any length of time using the power button, it can't be turned back on. It just freezes on a nearly-black screen and I have to do a hard reset by holding the power button for around 10 seconds for it to completely shut off, then rebooting.

Last night I did a completely fresh install of Windows 10 (losing my files, apps and all ability to go back to 8.1 in the process) but it did not solve the problem. Not sure when I'll have time to sit through the Dell.com diagnostic procedure but if anyone has experienced similar issues, PLEASE let me know if you found a solution. Thanks!

915 Posts

September 11th, 2015 10:00

I have this same issue with Win8.1 ever since I did a system refresh, at Dell Customer Support's direction.  Is there some software/driver update that fixes this?

11 Posts

September 13th, 2015 05:00

I've had a similar experience with my Venue 11 7140 since upgrading to Windows 10.

The tablet won't shutdown, reboot or start properly unless connected to a power supply. It mysteriously wakes itself from sleep when packed away in my bag causing the battery to drain completely and overheat the tablet badly. Sometimes it randomly locks up when waking from sleep and hibernate is extremely unreliable.

I've done a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 at least 3 times after deleting all the partitions which hasn't helped, latest BIOS, drivers, updates etc.

My eventual solution was to reinstall back to Windows 8.1 with then latest drivers and updates. So far it's been smooth sailing since going back to 8.1

The only conclusion that I can draw is that either Windows 10 or the tablet BIOS/drivers aren't ready for prime time yet. It's a shame because I prefer the Win10 UI to Win8.1 but I'm going to give it 6 months before trying again.

11 Posts

September 16th, 2015 06:00

These are the basic steps I followed to get back to Windows 8.1

1. Download the Windows 8.1 media creation tool from microsoft
  2. Create a Windows 8.1 Home x64 USB (this will format the USB drive so you will loose everything!!!)
  3. Boot tablet and go to bios options
  4. Boot to USB
  5. When the Windows setup has loaded, go for a custom installation
  6. Delete all the partitions (this will delete all the data, so think about it for a minute!!!)
  7. Once all the partition are gone, click next (don't worry, windows will take care of the rest)
  8. This should give you a clean Windows installation, you can then download and install the drivers from Dell's website

Good luck with this!

5 Posts

September 16th, 2015 06:00

Thanks, all ... I think I lost my ability to go back to 8.1 but will give it a shot unless Dell proposes another fix.

27 Posts

September 16th, 2015 21:00

You might try changing the settings related to power and battery in the control panel, or in the System Config. Also might disable the Intel Link Power Management in the Intel Rapid Storage Management tool. If you have freeze ups, some users (myself included) virtually eliminated said freezes.

In win8 look through apps for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app, open it. Go to Performance Tab, click Disable option, close out, restart system.

I'm hoping to take my 7130 back to 8.1 after win10 conflicts seem to have corrupted my registry, and managed to lock me out of multiple areas of my system. unfortunately i've had10 for more than 30 days so my windows.old file was auto-deleted :(

No Events found!