Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2014 08:00

Windows 8.1 update WIMboot on Dell Venue 8 Pro ?

With recent Windows 8.1 update new WIMboot feature can save quite a lot of space on Windows partition, replacing Windows system files with much smaller pointer files, to compressed image in hidden recovery partition.

I assume that Dell will implement it for future shipments soon, but is it possible to do on existing tablets ? I.e. get an updated recovery partition image with WIMboot, and reinstall Windows from it ? I can afford re-installation pain to get couple GB of free space.

5 Posts

July 5th, 2014 14:00

I applied the WIMBoot feature to my Dell Venue 8 Pro and got over 20 GB of free space.  It is safest done on a factory stock Windows (via reset) but it can be done on a full Windows.

If you google Dell Venue and WIMBoot, you can find some posts about doing this to your DV8P..

157 Posts

April 16th, 2014 12:00

I'm curious, too, but I haven't seen anything out there about using it on existing devices. I thought it sounded ominous when Microsoft explained (in one of the blogs) that it would allow 16 GB devices to have 12 GB free. 16 GB Windows PC devices? Gee. Imagine how cheap and crummy they could be.

52 Posts

April 16th, 2014 18:00

I should be not too complicated to do it yourself. See here for a general explanation and how to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594399.aspx

157 Posts

April 16th, 2014 23:00

Thank you, DRAHNIER. Very informative.

No Events found!