Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2014 22:00

Workaround for Dell Venue Pro 11 5130 resume from sleep issue and wireless flakiness

I've had the Venue Pro 11 for a few days now and this tablet has several major bugs Microsoft, Intel, Atheros, and Dell need to address. I have experienced the same issues with wireless becoming inactive and stating Limited Connectivity and the other issue of resuming to a black screen after the tablet is in sleep mode. I really want to like this tablet since when it is very functional when it does work. 

I have tried uninstalling the 3 hotfixes that others have mentioned in other threads. This did not solve either of my 2 main issues. After several hours of research and trial and error, I have discovered the workaround for the black screen from sleep issue is to disable the TPM in the BIOS. One of the 3 hotfixes mentions an issue with Windows 8.1 and TPM.

I have successfully resumed from auto and manual sleep for the past 2 days with TPM disabled. In order to disable TPM, you will need to follow the steps in order. This involves disabling Bitlocker. Bitlocker is used to encrypt your drive and works with the TPM chip. If you have a valid need for drive encryption, do NOT move forward with this workaround. You will also need a USB keyboard to fully disable the TPM chip so have a USB keyboard to proceed forward. Another benefit to disabling bitlocker is to increase disk speed by almost 2x. Some other poster in http://forum.tabletpcreview.com ran benchmarks before and after and it was significant after bitlocker was disabled. Sorry, but I do not recall the link. 

Follow these steps in order:

1) Control Panel>Bitlocker Drive Encryption

a) Click "Turn off Bitlocker. Once you click on this it may take between 15-30 minutes to fully decrypt your hard drive. After decryption has been completed, restart the tablet and hold the volume down button to go into the UEFI settings.

2)  Once in the UEFI settings, expand Security>PTT security and deselect it, then click Apply

3) Click on TPM Security and enable TPM Security, TPM ACPI Support. Make sure the Deactivate button is selected. This effectively disables the TPM. Select Apply!

4) Now select Exit. You will need the USB keyboard for the next few steps. The tablet should power off at this point.

5) Power on the tablet and let it boot into Windows. The Dell logo should appear and the spinning dots below it.

6) Login to Windows. Press the power button to put the tablet in sleep mode. 1-2 seconds should be enough.

7) Hold the power button down for 1-2 seconds until you feel the tablet vibrate and you should see the following:

?A configuration change was requested to enable, activate, and allow creation of an operator authentication value that permit temporary deactivation of the TPM, etc." Plug in the USB keyboard if you already haven't. Press F10 to continue disabling the TPM.

8) The tablet will reboot and the Dell logo will appear with the spinning dots and you should be in Windows. Go ahead and login

9) Test resume from sleep by holding the power button down for 1 second. You should see the LED by the front camera turn on briefly and the tablet should be in sleep mode. Press the Windows button bottom center to ensure the table is in sleep mode. You should not receive a response if in sleep mode. Hold the power button for 2 seconds. You should see the Dell logo and you should be back in Windows. Try opening several apps and repeating step 9. All your apps should remain open. 

Wireless workaround:

I have found enabling Maximum Performance for the Power Plan has stabilized the wireless NIC.

1) Go into Control Panel>Power Options

2) If you have stayed with the Dell power plan, select Change plan settings.

3) Now select Change advanced power settings

4) The power options dialog box should open. Expand Wireless Adapter Settings>Power Saving Mode

5) Select the pull-down and select Maximum Performance and then click on OK and Save changes. 

Dell has a really <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> QA process if they didn't see these basic issues prior to shipping. I am guessing it will take Dell and the other OEMs to figure this out, possibly 1 to 2 months: either firmware, driver or MS hotfix update or a combination of all three. 

Good luck!

50 Posts

January 8th, 2014 02:00

Are you on the Bay Trail or Core i model? I was having an issue with my Bay Trail Venue 11 Pro where the NIC would die over-night, and could only be re-enabled through a reboot. The issue went away by itself around the time I updated the firmware on my router, and now my Venue 11 Pro is basically 100% reliable as far as wake from sleep goes.

4 Posts

January 8th, 2014 13:00

I'm glad things are working for you. What NIC driver version are you on? I am on the latest driver from Dell's website. 

I have the 5130 which is the Bay Trail model. The NIC would become non-functional on my router at home, at work, and at public Wi-fi so I doubt this is a router issue. The NIC would not "die" but disabling and re-enabling the NIC would resolve the issue for a period of time, but it would have the Limited Connectivity issue again after a few minutes. I am not experiencing this issue as much after making the change to Maximum Performance under the advanced power plan settings. 

50 Posts

January 8th, 2014 15:00

I'm pretty sure I'm on the latest drivers, having updated from the Dell Website a couple of weeks ago. What's interesting is that I was having issues like you describe on my old Surface RT, but only at work. And the fix was the same: disable and re-enable the NIC.

8 Posts

January 9th, 2014 00:00

5130, and I don't even have a wireless adapter option under advanced power settings, just "desktop background settings", "power buttons and lid", "display", and "battery". None of those trees expand to an adapter setting either.

4 Posts

January 11th, 2014 18:00

Do you have the latest driver installed?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-venue-11-pro?driverId=50G57&osCode=WB32A&fileId=3299109780&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

I am still having intermittent wireless issues but much more infrequent. I did place an order for a new netgear ac1900 router. I'll report back with results once I have the new router.

28 Posts

January 12th, 2014 06:00

Hi, as per instructions above, I did not find this on my vPro 11 7130:

Control Panel>Bitlocker Drive Encryption a) Click "Turn off Bitlocker ...

The closest is : Charms bar / settings / PC settings (at bottom) / PC and Devices / PC info / Device Encryption (at bottom)

4 Posts

January 12th, 2014 18:00

Bitlocker is in the classic desktop control panel so you'll need to select the desktop tile, then open control panel. You should see it there.

You can hold the start button (bottom left corner) and you will see a menu pop up. Select control panel afterwards.

50 Posts

January 13th, 2014 17:00

I was not able to find the setting on my Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail version. It is possible to un-encrypt the drive from the GUI interface, but not merely suspend Bitlocker. However, there is a command line equivalent that should work, according to a Dell rep on these forums:

http://commweb-ps3.us.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/p/19537369/20491812.aspx#20491812

7 Posts

April 24th, 2014 15:00

I was able to follow all the steps but I'm not getting the "A configuration change was requested to enable, activate, and allow creation of an operator authentication value that permit temporary deactivation of the TPM, etc." question.

Any other ideas how to fix the problem with recovery from sleep mode?

7 Posts

April 24th, 2014 15:00

So, the funny thing is that when I follow your steps the TPM Administration (in BitLocker Drive Encryption within Control Panel) seems to be activated and can be turned on from here...........

10 Posts

May 1st, 2014 14:00

try this

http://de.community.dell.com/support_forums/mobile/f/109/p/2159/6029.aspx#6029

1 Message

June 21st, 2014 07:00

I had the same issue with the 5130, in my case worked set Fastboot / Thorough at the BIOS (POST Behavior - Fastboot - Thorough). I alredy had my BitLocker disabled.

12 Posts

June 21st, 2014 22:00

Guys the wireless issue for the dell venue 8 pro is easy to fix. Go to device manager under control panel. 1) Goto the Bluetooth - Bluetooth Radio - Power Management - "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and make sure it is unchecked 2) Goto the USB - USB Root Hub (xHCI) and uncheck the same option Good luck, works perfect for me after these changes... Cheers Alex

July 1st, 2014 09:00

For the wireless issue while resuming from sleep, try wireless driver Version 3.7.2.55,A03 which was released on 6/26/2014, that should resolve. Below is link to the 32 bit driver:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=RCMHN&fileId=3382639415&osCode=WB32A&productCode=dell-venue-11-pro&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

As for the Black screen upon resume from sleep, providing you have the most current driver set installed, if this happens undocked, that is a new issue. anyone who still has this problem please post details.

103 Posts

July 1st, 2014 19:00

I have the 5130, all latest drivers - I still have the issue of sometimes having a black screen on resume from connected standby (requires hard reboot to fix, happens ~2x per week), and I still have the issue of the wireless card sometimes not working when waking from connected standby (requires reboot to fix, happens 2-3 times per week),

No Events found!