Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2014 22:00

Workaround for Dell Venue Pro 11 5130 resume from sleep issue and wireless flakiness

I've had the Venue Pro 11 for a few days now and this tablet has several major bugs Microsoft, Intel, Atheros, and Dell need to address. I have experienced the same issues with wireless becoming inactive and stating Limited Connectivity and the other issue of resuming to a black screen after the tablet is in sleep mode. I really want to like this tablet since when it is very functional when it does work. 

I have tried uninstalling the 3 hotfixes that others have mentioned in other threads. This did not solve either of my 2 main issues. After several hours of research and trial and error, I have discovered the workaround for the black screen from sleep issue is to disable the TPM in the BIOS. One of the 3 hotfixes mentions an issue with Windows 8.1 and TPM.

I have successfully resumed from auto and manual sleep for the past 2 days with TPM disabled. In order to disable TPM, you will need to follow the steps in order. This involves disabling Bitlocker. Bitlocker is used to encrypt your drive and works with the TPM chip. If you have a valid need for drive encryption, do NOT move forward with this workaround. You will also need a USB keyboard to fully disable the TPM chip so have a USB keyboard to proceed forward. Another benefit to disabling bitlocker is to increase disk speed by almost 2x. Some other poster in http://forum.tabletpcreview.com ran benchmarks before and after and it was significant after bitlocker was disabled. Sorry, but I do not recall the link. 

Follow these steps in order:

1) Control Panel>Bitlocker Drive Encryption

a) Click "Turn off Bitlocker. Once you click on this it may take between 15-30 minutes to fully decrypt your hard drive. After decryption has been completed, restart the tablet and hold the volume down button to go into the UEFI settings.

2)  Once in the UEFI settings, expand Security>PTT security and deselect it, then click Apply

3) Click on TPM Security and enable TPM Security, TPM ACPI Support. Make sure the Deactivate button is selected. This effectively disables the TPM. Select Apply!

4) Now select Exit. You will need the USB keyboard for the next few steps. The tablet should power off at this point.

5) Power on the tablet and let it boot into Windows. The Dell logo should appear and the spinning dots below it.

6) Login to Windows. Press the power button to put the tablet in sleep mode. 1-2 seconds should be enough.

7) Hold the power button down for 1-2 seconds until you feel the tablet vibrate and you should see the following:

?A configuration change was requested to enable, activate, and allow creation of an operator authentication value that permit temporary deactivation of the TPM, etc." Plug in the USB keyboard if you already haven't. Press F10 to continue disabling the TPM.

8) The tablet will reboot and the Dell logo will appear with the spinning dots and you should be in Windows. Go ahead and login

9) Test resume from sleep by holding the power button down for 1 second. You should see the LED by the front camera turn on briefly and the tablet should be in sleep mode. Press the Windows button bottom center to ensure the table is in sleep mode. You should not receive a response if in sleep mode. Hold the power button for 2 seconds. You should see the Dell logo and you should be back in Windows. Try opening several apps and repeating step 9. All your apps should remain open. 

Wireless workaround:

I have found enabling Maximum Performance for the Power Plan has stabilized the wireless NIC.

1) Go into Control Panel>Power Options

2) If you have stayed with the Dell power plan, select Change plan settings.

3) Now select Change advanced power settings

4) The power options dialog box should open. Expand Wireless Adapter Settings>Power Saving Mode

5) Select the pull-down and select Maximum Performance and then click on OK and Save changes. 

Dell has a really <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> QA process if they didn't see these basic issues prior to shipping. I am guessing it will take Dell and the other OEMs to figure this out, possibly 1 to 2 months: either firmware, driver or MS hotfix update or a combination of all three. 

Good luck!

32 Posts

July 15th, 2014 10:00

Ok - after a factory reset I thought I was in the clear but I have just come back to my Dell Venue Pro 11 5130 after putting it to sleep and getting the blank screen but pressing the Windows button vibrates and I can see the tablet is on via my network and it's shared folders.

As I have Windows 8 Pro I just tried to remote desktop to it and upon first try I got something along the lines of there has been a hardware issue or a device attached to this computer has stopped working and it wouldn't connect. The next time I tried I almost got logged in but then the tablet reset. I have the dump files so am going to look at these later but can anyone officially from Dell help????

10 Posts

July 28th, 2014 04:00

So this workaround is a terrible one. It enters the full sleep mode, not the connected standby mode. I want my 5130 to use the connected standby mode. Microsoft states that the delay from powerbutton to screen display should bee 500ms. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn495344(v=vs.85).aspx Dell, please fix this issue!

103 Posts

July 28th, 2014 10:00

Damn, I thought mine was fixed after applying the latest touch panel firmware updates - it was fine for 2 weeks, but it's just gone & done it 3 times on me today. Has anyone sent theirs back & had it fixed by replacement?

32 Posts

July 28th, 2014 12:00

I did a full factory reset on mine (5130) after installing the latest bios and touchpanel updates and so far not had any further issues. The full factory rest was the only thing that cured am Asus T100 I had similar issues with in the past.

10 Posts

July 28th, 2014 12:00

How do You do a Factory reset? We use a custom win8.1 image, so all dell partitions are gone..

32 Posts

July 28th, 2014 13:00

Ah if your Dell partitions are gone then you would have to try wiping the tablet and installing Windows 8 from a USB stick / DVD drive with as a many of the 8.1 updates you can slipstream into it etc. There are instructions on the web to help with this but maybe your IT people could help if they were the ones who removed the original partitions etc?

3 Posts

August 13th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for this thread. It helped me fix my Dell tablet issue of not coming out of standby. Steps I did (after sending the unit into Dell support and having them "fix" hardware without it helping with coming out of standby). 1. Have all the latest Windows and Dell updates installed 2. Turn off drive encryption and wait for the machine to decrypt files 3. Go to the BIOS as described above and disable TPM 4. Save changes and exit Now the machine comes back on successfully when pressing the power button. Frankly, if I wasn't savvy with support forums, persistent in finding a fix and comfortable with getting into the BIOS, then I would've returned the device. Clearly this isn't a consumer ready device just yet. Maybe there's a Dell Update fix that could help with this - encryption off by default perhaps? Jason

3 Posts

August 13th, 2014 12:00

Thanks Steve. Not sure on your first question. I went into the bios, went to Security and then unchecked the TPM setting, saved and exited. Factory reset going away isn't that big a deal - I think it'll work fine for a while and I use OneDrive for storing any pictures etc.

If you'd like to use Bit Locker with a TPM on the Venue 11 Pro 5130, using PTT instead of the TPM may work better. Here is some additional information on PTT:

Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) is part of the Intel® System on Chip (SoC) and is a firmware-based TPM version 2.0 which can function in the same capacity as the discrete TPM 1.2 chip. PTT can be managed by Windows TPM.MSC like a discrete TPM and activation/ownership is configured within Windows TPM.MSC rather than the BIOS as with a discrete TPM.

According to the Trusted Computing Group, the organization who sets standards for TPMs:

“All versions of Windows will now include encryption but there are some hardware restrictions on this; you need a PC that is capable of Connected Standby with Windows 8 or 8.1. That means the PC has a UEFI BIOS and either a separate Trusted Platform Module (TPM), ARM's Trusted Zone or Intel's Platform Trust Technology for storing information securely”. http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/media_room/news/319

Hey JasonPNWR - Are using the TPM or PTT in the BIOS? PTT will function as a TPM, adhears to TPM 2.0 standards and can still be managed using TPM.MSC.

In regards to a factory reset, if you use a custom win8.1 image with all Dell partitions removed, you will not be able to perform a factory reset. However, you can configure Windows 8.1 to create a backup and then do a device reset from the backup which as created.

3 Posts

Thanks Steve. I actually have the Dell Venue 8 Pro: http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?ref=PD_OC This helped with the 8 Pro suspending and resuming. Jason

August 17th, 2014 16:00

I have the Venue 8 Pro but turning off the ability for the PC to turn off power to the USB root hub, Bluetooth, and disabling the TPM in the BIOS has mine waking up and going to sleep properly at least over the last day. Don't really care too much about connected standby.

I mention this because I think the 1538 chipset for wireless is the same in the 11 as it is in the 8.

rob

theroblog dot com

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 13:00

Aside from this, one interesting thing I have noticed which I have never seen on another Windows 8 tablet is when running powercfg /sleepstudy to try and see what's happened during the last connected standby session I get "No connected standby traces available. Report not generated" which gives 0 results in Google which seems very strange?

Just updated a new Venue 11 Pro 5130 (March 18,2014 build date).  I ran across this same error

No Connected Standby traces availiable

Google is giving me about 5 hits on this only.  I had issues installed Window 8.1 updates with multiple failures which I had to Turn Secure Boot off that finally resolved themselves.  I updated some of the Dell Drivers as well along with Bios, Chipset, along with Sleep Select program trying to get a keyboard to work (returning it).

Curious if the original poster figured out why the

powercfg Sleepstudy

was returning the error above and/or if it was fixed by full restore?  Might it be due to not having enough data to build a report?

32 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 13:00

Hi.

The only way I was ever able to get rid of such weird issues on my earlier Asus T100 and my current Venue Pro 11 was to do a full system restore after updating all the drivers and bios first using the oddly behaving install. My Venue Pro 11 has been trouble free since btw and I use it daily as a desktop replacement.

December 15th, 2014 06:00

Steve,

I did not have the resume from sleep issue before I was forced to do a complete reload of Windows 8 from a disk that I have from another computer, and then an update to 8.1 finishing with downloading all of the Windows updates followed by the Dell updates (this part was a bit difficult because the service tag in my BIOS tells Dell that this Venue is a 7130 instead of a 5130, which it is). Another Dell rep said we would see about rectifying this over a month ago but it never happened and he won't even respond to emails. So, I can currently enter sleep mode via power button but cannot resume via power button. I have to hold the power button down for long periods of time (several attempts usually). It then does a full reboot and startup and not a normal awake from sleep. In addition, the computer now randomly powers itself down even though I have my power settings set to "never."I did everything suggested at the beginning of the post and it didn't seem to help. Can you provide me with a listing of the BIOS settings from a 5130 that does not have the sleep issue or suggest something else to try? I really like this Venue but these 2 issues are really hard to live with. Thanks, in advance for any help you can provide.

Gordie O.

No Events found!