Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2014 22:00

Workaround for Dell Venue Pro 11 5130 resume from sleep issue and wireless flakiness

I've had the Venue Pro 11 for a few days now and this tablet has several major bugs Microsoft, Intel, Atheros, and Dell need to address. I have experienced the same issues with wireless becoming inactive and stating Limited Connectivity and the other issue of resuming to a black screen after the tablet is in sleep mode. I really want to like this tablet since when it is very functional when it does work. 

I have tried uninstalling the 3 hotfixes that others have mentioned in other threads. This did not solve either of my 2 main issues. After several hours of research and trial and error, I have discovered the workaround for the black screen from sleep issue is to disable the TPM in the BIOS. One of the 3 hotfixes mentions an issue with Windows 8.1 and TPM.

I have successfully resumed from auto and manual sleep for the past 2 days with TPM disabled. In order to disable TPM, you will need to follow the steps in order. This involves disabling Bitlocker. Bitlocker is used to encrypt your drive and works with the TPM chip. If you have a valid need for drive encryption, do NOT move forward with this workaround. You will also need a USB keyboard to fully disable the TPM chip so have a USB keyboard to proceed forward. Another benefit to disabling bitlocker is to increase disk speed by almost 2x. Some other poster in http://forum.tabletpcreview.com ran benchmarks before and after and it was significant after bitlocker was disabled. Sorry, but I do not recall the link. 

Follow these steps in order:

1) Control Panel>Bitlocker Drive Encryption

a) Click "Turn off Bitlocker. Once you click on this it may take between 15-30 minutes to fully decrypt your hard drive. After decryption has been completed, restart the tablet and hold the volume down button to go into the UEFI settings.

2)  Once in the UEFI settings, expand Security>PTT security and deselect it, then click Apply

3) Click on TPM Security and enable TPM Security, TPM ACPI Support. Make sure the Deactivate button is selected. This effectively disables the TPM. Select Apply!

4) Now select Exit. You will need the USB keyboard for the next few steps. The tablet should power off at this point.

5) Power on the tablet and let it boot into Windows. The Dell logo should appear and the spinning dots below it.

6) Login to Windows. Press the power button to put the tablet in sleep mode. 1-2 seconds should be enough.

7) Hold the power button down for 1-2 seconds until you feel the tablet vibrate and you should see the following:

?A configuration change was requested to enable, activate, and allow creation of an operator authentication value that permit temporary deactivation of the TPM, etc." Plug in the USB keyboard if you already haven't. Press F10 to continue disabling the TPM.

8) The tablet will reboot and the Dell logo will appear with the spinning dots and you should be in Windows. Go ahead and login

9) Test resume from sleep by holding the power button down for 1 second. You should see the LED by the front camera turn on briefly and the tablet should be in sleep mode. Press the Windows button bottom center to ensure the table is in sleep mode. You should not receive a response if in sleep mode. Hold the power button for 2 seconds. You should see the Dell logo and you should be back in Windows. Try opening several apps and repeating step 9. All your apps should remain open. 

Wireless workaround:

I have found enabling Maximum Performance for the Power Plan has stabilized the wireless NIC.

1) Go into Control Panel>Power Options

2) If you have stayed with the Dell power plan, select Change plan settings.

3) Now select Change advanced power settings

4) The power options dialog box should open. Expand Wireless Adapter Settings>Power Saving Mode

5) Select the pull-down and select Maximum Performance and then click on OK and Save changes. 

Dell has a really <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> QA process if they didn't see these basic issues prior to shipping. I am guessing it will take Dell and the other OEMs to figure this out, possibly 1 to 2 months: either firmware, driver or MS hotfix update or a combination of all three. 

Good luck!

December 15th, 2014 07:00

If the BIOS says its a 7130 instead of a 5130, that's a big problem. Both have very different drivers and architecture which are not compatible. If you have an open case, you may submit an escalation to customer support:

www.dell.com/.../CareUnresolved;l=en&s=gen

39 Posts

February 1st, 2015 13:00

I'm also getting this issue I think on the 5130. I've had this problem for a long time, but it was intermittent, however recently after applying some updates, possibly the A10 bios, I'm getting this every single time the tablet is in sleep for more than a few minutes. I would assume it's gone into connected standby. It didn't do this before. It would not wake properly only once or twice a week, maybe less. Now it's doing it many times a day and this is incredibly annoying, not to mention also a risk to my data having to hard power off the device each time, plus it appears to consume a lot of data with crash logs.

I posted about the A10 bios issue here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19616531

I had thought it was related to this issue with display crashes as have that also from time to time, and occasionally it would not resume from the crash, but perhaps that is separate: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19566729

Note, I have also recently installed the latest display firmware in an attempt to fix issues with repeated key presses on the virtual keyboard, and the firmware claims to fix this. While I was doing that I did the Mobile Keyboard firmware, though my issues occur without the keyboard attached, and of course the A10 bios. I was hoping it might help with the standby issues, but that or one of these has made it a lot worse I think.

This needs fixing! I do not wish to disable bitlocker or as an end user should have to mess with TPM (not that I really understand it). My tablet is configured as it was shipped and it should therefore work. It's currently not fit for use, especially as there's also yet another issue which is being ignored which is the rear camera does not work with the built in camera app in Wiindows 8 so out of the box you cannot use the camera basically.

It seems this issue has been sat around for a year or so and nothing done to fix it.

39 Posts

February 1st, 2015 15:00

For those still experiencing the black screen on wake, this is not a solution, but a way to prevent hard boot. I was successfully able to reboot using the following two different ways:

1) Win+X, then up arrow, then up arrow, then right arrow, then up arrow, then Enter

or

2) Win+D, then Alt+F4, then Enter

Give it a few minutes and you should see the Dell logo. Hope this helps.

I've tried both of these but the tablet seems unresponsive. Though I can tap the Windows button on the tablet itself and it buzzes.

Also, usually I can see the tablet on my home network when it's running okay but once it's unable to wake when sleeping, it can't be seen. I enabled remote desktop on it and tried to access it remotely but not possible either. 

19 Posts

February 5th, 2015 13:00

Hello, really good advice you gave.  I'm having this sleep issue with a 7140 Venue pro 11 with the Core M processor (latest/greatest). Same deal, when it goes to sleep it won't wake up. Have to perform the hard reboot.

I basically followed your advice but slightly difference procedures.  With 8.1 I had to go to "PC and Device" - "PC Info" and turn off encryption. There was no Bitlocker option in Control Panel; however there was a service running called Bitlocker which I disabled.  The system decrypted the files (about 27GB) which took about 15- 25 minutes if I recall.  After that process I then went into the bio and followed your steps. It seems to be better now.    I've run several tests at it and it's not faulting. I'm keeping a running log of time between sleep and awaking.

Also: updated BIOS A03 & latest video driver

Thanks!

2)  Once in the UEFI settings, expand Security>PTT security and deselect it, then click Apply

3) Click on TPM Security and enable TPM Security, TPM ACPI Support. Make sure the Deactivate button is selected. This effectively disables the TPM. Select Apply!

4) Now select Exit. You will need the USB keyboard for the next few steps. The tablet should power off at this point.

1 Message

July 28th, 2015 23:00

just purchased a 7140 a few days ago and just saw this happen for the first time.  hope it's not a regular thing

1 Message

September 7th, 2015 07:00

I am experiencing the same two issues referenced in the original post:

1.) Wireless NIC does not connect back to the default Wi-Fi network when resuming from sleep. It shows the Wi-Fi icon with a little red "X" and the only way to fix it is to go to the adapter settings, "Diagnose this Connection." Even then, it will occasionally fail to restore the wireless NIC functionality and a restart is required.

2.) When resuming from sleep, the tablet has a black screen. Pressing the Windows key generates a vibration, but nothing else happens. The only way to recover from this is to hold the power button for ~15-20 seconds, then power it back on.

I have a Dell Venue Pro 11 (5130-32 bit). It's been well over 1 year since this issue initially presented on these tablets. Is there not an official solution to the problem?

4 Posts

April 23rd, 2016 14:00

For the wireless issue while resuming from sleep, try wireless driver Version 3.7.2.55,A03 which was released on 6/26/2014, that should resolve. Below is link to the 32 bit driver:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=RCMHN&fileId=3382639415&osCode=WB32A&productCode=dell-venue-11-pro&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

1 Message

December 18th, 2016 08:00

Hi all

Bought a Venue Pro 11 (5130) a few weeks ago from Dell Outlet here in the UK and been having lots of issues with connected standby and other weirdness despite installing all the latest drivers etc. I flashed latest A08 bios earlier today but that also made no difference but Venue Pro 11 was / is still using it when I did the following:

• Full factory reset, created local Windows account etc and rebooted = no problems with connected standby with or without mobile keyboard.
  • Install all the Windows Updates (not dell ones) including Windows 8.1 Update 1 = no problems with connected standby with or without mobile keyboard.
  • 24 hours later, several reboots, installing my normal programs etc and I have several connected standby readings that are all green which would give me about 5% battery loss over 15 hours 'sleep' :)

At this point I would guess that installing the latest Dell drivers inc touchscreen etc now probably wouldn't cause any issues as when I did the exact same procedure with my Asus T100 i.e. installing driver updates that seemed to cause connected standby issues BEFORE a full factory reset but now afterwards on a clean Windows 8 install the T100 has been trouble free ever since.

With all this mind does anyone think there is any chance that flashing new bios / firmware files on Windows 8 tablets with connected standby doesn't actually ever make the same changes / fixes as when done on or before a new Windows install?

My best guess is that something gets stuck / not updated and will never fix itself until Windows is factory reset which if others having similar issues on their Venue Pros can try themselves then maybe we might be closed to be able to providing a fix for everyone?

Bow Legs Correction Exercise

Bow Legs Correction Exercise

39 Posts

December 19th, 2016 12:00

Install latest bios and update to Windows 10, let it update to all the latest updates inc the Anniversary Update. Problems seem to have gone away.

Although I think Win 10 now just disables connected standby or something. After a while the device is properly powered off, but resume from off is fairly quick and barely any need for connected standby.

No Events found!