RE: Workaround for Dell Venue Pro 11 5130 resume from sleep issue and wireless flakiness

If you'd like to use Bit Locker with a TPM on the Venue 11 Pro 5130, using PTT instead of the TPM may work better. Here is some additional information on PTT:

Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) is part of the Intel® System on Chip (SoC) and is a firmware-based TPM version 2.0 which can function in the same capacity as the discrete TPM 1.2 chip. PTT can be managed by Windows TPM.MSC like a discrete TPM and activation/ownership is configured within Windows TPM.MSC rather than the BIOS as with a discrete TPM.

According to the Trusted Computing Group, the organization who sets standards for TPMs:

“All versions of Windows will now include encryption but there are some hardware restrictions on this; you need a PC that is capable of Connected Standby with Windows 8 or 8.1. That means the PC has a UEFI BIOS and either a separate Trusted Platform Module (TPM), ARM's Trusted Zone or Intel's Platform Trust Technology for storing information securely”. http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/media_room/news/319

Dell-SteveB
Client Product Strategist | MCTS, MCDST, CompTIA Security+ Certified
Follow me on Twitter: @StevebAtDell
0 Kudos
JasonPNWR
1 Copper

RE: Workaround for Dell Venue Pro 11 5130 resume from sleep issue and wireless flakiness

Thanks Steve. I actually have the Dell Venue 8 Pro: http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?ref=PD_OC This helped with the 8 Pro suspending and resuming. Jason
0 Kudos
theroblog.com
1 Copper

I have the Venue 8 Pro but turning off the ability for the PC to turn off power to the USB root hub, Bluetooth, and disabling the TPM in the BIOS has mine waking up and going to sleep properly at least over the last day. Don't really care too much about connected standby.

I mention this because I think the 1538 chipset for wireless is the same in the 11 as it is in the 8.

rob

theroblog dot com

0 Kudos
kwhy
1 Copper

Aside from this, one interesting thing I have noticed which I have never seen on another Windows 8 tablet is when running powercfg /sleepstudy to try and see what's happened during the last connected standby session I get "No connected standby traces available. Report not generated" which gives 0 results in Google which seems very strange?

Just updated a new Venue 11 Pro 5130 (March 18,2014 build date).  I ran across this same error

No Connected Standby traces availiable

Google is giving me about 5 hits on this only.  I had issues installed Window 8.1 updates with multiple failures which I had to Turn Secure Boot off that finally resolved themselves.  I updated some of the Dell Drivers as well along with Bios, Chipset, along with Sleep Select program trying to get a keyboard to work (returning it).

Curious if the original poster figured out why the

powercfg Sleepstudy

was returning the error above and/or if it was fixed by full restore?  Might it be due to not having enough data to build a report?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi.

The only way I was ever able to get rid of such weird issues on my earlier Asus T100 and my current Venue Pro 11 was to do a full system restore after updating all the drivers and bios first using the oddly behaving install. My Venue Pro 11 has been trouble free since btw and I use it daily as a desktop replacement.

0 Kudos
Bogeyman1939
1 Nickel

Steve,

I did not have the resume from sleep issue before I was forced to do a complete reload of Windows 8 from a disk that I have from another computer, and then an update to 8.1 finishing with downloading all of the Windows updates followed by the Dell updates (this part was a bit difficult because the service tag in my BIOS tells Dell that this Venue is a 7130 instead of a 5130, which it is). Another Dell rep said we would see about rectifying this over a month ago but it never happened and he won't even respond to emails. So, I can currently enter sleep mode via power button but cannot resume via power button. I have to hold the power button down for long periods of time (several attempts usually). It then does a full reboot and startup and not a normal awake from sleep. In addition, the computer now randomly powers itself down even though I have my power settings set to "never."I did everything suggested at the beginning of the post and it didn't seem to help. Can you provide me with a listing of the BIOS settings from a 5130 that does not have the sleep issue or suggest something else to try? I really like this Venue but these 2 issues are really hard to live with. Thanks, in advance for any help you can provide.

Gordie O.

0 Kudos

If the BIOS says its a 7130 instead of a 5130, that's a big problem. Both have very different drivers and architecture which are not compatible. If you have an open case, you may submit an escalation to customer support:

www.dell.com/.../CareUnresolved;l=en&s=gen

Dell-SteveB
Client Product Strategist | MCTS, MCDST, CompTIA Security+ Certified
Follow me on Twitter: @StevebAtDell
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I'm also getting this issue I think on the 5130. I've had this problem for a long time, but it was intermittent, however recently after applying some updates, possibly the A10 bios, I'm getting this every single time the tablet is in sleep for more than a few minutes. I would assume it's gone into connected standby. It didn't do this before. It would not wake properly only once or twice a week, maybe less. Now it's doing it many times a day and this is incredibly annoying, not to mention also a risk to my data having to hard power off the device each time, plus it appears to consume a lot of data with crash logs.

I posted about the A10 bios issue here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19616531

I had thought it was related to this issue with display crashes as have that also from time to time, and occasionally it would not resume from the crash, but perhaps that is separate: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19566729

Note, I have also recently installed the latest display firmware in an attempt to fix issues with repeated key presses on the virtual keyboard, and the firmware claims to fix this. While I was doing that I did the Mobile Keyboard firmware, though my issues occur without the keyboard attached, and of course the A10 bios. I was hoping it might help with the standby issues, but that or one of these has made it a lot worse I think.

This needs fixing! I do not wish to disable bitlocker or as an end user should have to mess with TPM (not that I really understand it). My tablet is configured as it was shipped and it should therefore work. It's currently not fit for use, especially as there's also yet another issue which is being ignored which is the rear camera does not work with the built in camera app in Wiindows 8 so out of the box you cannot use the camera basically.

It seems this issue has been sat around for a year or so and nothing done to fix it.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

For those still experiencing the black screen on wake, this is not a solution, but a way to prevent hard boot. I was successfully able to reboot using the following two different ways:

1) Win+X, then up arrow, then up arrow, then right arrow, then up arrow, then Enter

or

2) Win+D, then Alt+F4, then Enter

Give it a few minutes and you should see the Dell logo. Hope this helps.

I've tried both of these but the tablet seems unresponsive. Though I can tap the Windows button on the tablet itself and it buzzes.

Also, usually I can see the tablet on my home network when it's running okay but once it's unable to wake when sleeping, it can't be seen. I enabled remote desktop on it and tried to access it remotely but not possible either. 

0 Kudos
blegatewa
6 Indium

Hello, really good advice you gave.  I'm having this sleep issue with a 7140 Venue pro 11 with the Core M processor (latest/greatest). Same deal, when it goes to sleep it won't wake up. Have to perform the hard reboot.

I basically followed your advice but slightly difference procedures.  With 8.1 I had to go to "PC and Device" - "PC Info" and turn off encryption. There was no Bitlocker option in Control Panel; however there was a service running called Bitlocker which I disabled.  The system decrypted the files (about 27GB) which took about 15- 25 minutes if I recall.  After that process I then went into the bio and followed your steps. It seems to be better now.    I've run several tests at it and it's not faulting. I'm keeping a running log of time between sleep and awaking.

Also: updated BIOS A03 & latest video driver

Thanks!

2)  Once in the UEFI settings, expand Security>PTT security and deselect it, then click Apply

3) Click on TPM Security and enable TPM Security, TPM ACPI Support. Make sure the Deactivate button is selected. This effectively disables the TPM. Select Apply!

4) Now select Exit. You will need the USB keyboard for the next few steps. The tablet should power off at this point.

0 Kudos