Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2015 07:00

XPS 10 Tablet Reset - now Windows will not activate. Please HELP!

A few days ago, my XPS 10 had a strange event which I do not understand where it suddenly refused to boot and turn on, After much frustration, disappointment, searching, and researching I made it into the Recovery boot options menu. I tried to refresh so I would not loose all my data. I tried ALL the options in the Recovery menu except the factory reset. Nothing worked, and sometimes it would be hours of trying before I could get back to the Recovery menu to try another option.

At last I did perform a factory reset. Which got the tablet running well again. HOWEVER, not Windows is saying it needs to be Activated, and the key I have (which is the original key from when I purchased the XPS 10 new from Dell) does not work. It says that the key is blocked. I don't know why that is, or what to do now. Can anyone help me at all, please?

I am quite desperate, as I use this tablet everyday for various tasks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 6th, 2016 16:00

I have encountered the same issue. Any ideas on how to fix that?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 11th, 2016 04:00

Hi Gmilov,

Thank you for writing to us!

Once you reach the screen which asks you for the product key -> skip that screen and system should boot to windows as you will have a 30 day free trial . On the Desktop kindly follow the steps mentioned

1.           In the search box of start menu type SLUI 04

2.           Enter SLUI 04 in the search box, and then tap or click SLUI 04.

3.           Follow the instructions on the screen.

Kindly let us know if the issue is resolved .

Thanks

Robin

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 11th, 2016 04:00

Hi Angel_Phantom,

Once you reach the screen which asks you for the product key -> skip that screen and system should boot to windows as you will have a 30 day free trial . On the Desktop kindly follow the steps mentioned

1.           In the search box of start menu type SLUI 04

2.           Enter SLUI 04 in the search box, and then tap or click SLUI 04.

3.           Follow the instructions on the screen.

Kindly let us know if the issue is resolved .

Thanks

Robin

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 11th, 2016 07:00

Thanks a lot for your reply. It doesn't work though. I have Dell XPS Tablet with Windows 8.1 RT. Your solution may work for regular Windows 8. In my case clicking or tapping SLUI 04 doesn't work at all. Nothing happens.

The issue wasn't resolved.

Best regards,

Grigori

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 14th, 2016 07:00

How do I proceed re-installing operating system on a tablet? Maybe there is an image of the 8.1 RT operating system out there? Normally I can reset the tablet, and that led to the problem in the first place.

The issue is -- after the reset the system is looking for a product key, can't find it for some reason and rejects to activate Windows RT. But, because it is a tablet, I don't and can't have the product key. That's the problem. I don't see how "re-installing the system" or resetting it one more time can resolve this.

I do have a service tag issued by Dell for the tablet however.

I believe that somewhere at Dell you should be able to extract the product key for the tablet with a particular service tag or other ID. That should resolve it.

Best wishes,

GM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 14th, 2016 07:00

Hi Gmilov,

Thank you for your reply .

The only the option is to re-install the Operating system

Thanks

Robin

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2016 06:00

Hi Gmilov,

Kindly send us the service tag via private message and we should be able to provide you with a USB KEY 

Thanks

Robin

2 Posts

June 6th, 2019 14:00

so I posted this same question back in 2014 and no one from Dell responded to me. I am still having this problem my tablet has been at the bottom of my closet for years now. could you also send me a usb key to resolve so maybe i can let my kids get some use from this old tablet that I wasted my money on years ago.

No Events found!