Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2013 19:00

XPS 10 Windows 8.1 RT - unable to recover, refresh or restore.

Created recovery media - duplicates - and stored them. The second time, deleted the recovery partition to save disk space and then upgraded to Windows 8.1 Preview with Outlook. (I'm an IT Admin so I have to test new products.) Of course you can not restore to Windows 8 once you upgrade to the 8.1 RT preview. Knew this going in, but expected basic refresh functionality from the actual release.

Now I have upgraded to the newly released Windows 8.1 RT. Was using a local account prior to the upgrade, but during the upgrade it forced me to use my Microsoft credentials. So now my tablet wallpaper and stuff has replicated to my desktop computer - which I don't want. Also, username directories don't match now on the tablet so I want to restore to setup and start fresh.

When I run the recovery, "Remove everything and reinstall Windows", I get the error:

"Insert media

Some files are missing. your Windows installation or recovery media will provide these files."

And when I plug in my recovery media made before 8.1, I get the error:

"The media inserted is not valid

Make sure to insert your Windows installation or recovery media."

So how can I restore? None of the recovery options work.

Does anyone know if the recently posted Microsoft Surface RT images will work?

Has Dell posted a downloadable recovery image?

16 Posts

November 8th, 2013 01:00

Just want to add a 'Me Too' to this.  I've got other issues (see later post) and I wanted to do a factory reset but hit the same problem as you.

From other posts it appears the only way to get a factory reset is to send it back to Dell :emotion-7:

As you point out, Microsoft have released a recovery image for Surface.  Surely it would make sense (and save them support time and effort) if Dell did the same?

8 Posts

November 8th, 2013 13:00

Me too.  In the process of trying to figure this out, I screwed up my XPS 10 so badly it would not boot.  I sent it to Dell to fix.  I am now waiting for it to be sent back from Dell Support.  I suspect that it will be reloaded with RT 8.0 and no resolution to this issue is yet available..

I should have purchased a Surface RT.

16 Posts

November 16th, 2013 15:00

very disappointed that this thread hasn't been commented on or answered by Dell.

I know that the XPS10 has been discontinued by Dell (and with it, gone is any non Microsoft vendor support for RT) but you'd think there would be sufficient customers out there to warrant a response?

8 Posts

November 16th, 2013 20:00

After talking with tech support on Sat., Nov. 2, I was instructed to send it in for repair.  I received the box on Tues., Nov. 5, shipped it to Dell later that day, and they received it on Wed. Nov. 6.  Early on Thu., Nov. 7 they posted on their website (depotstatustool.dell.com) their last update that, "Your unit has been released from hold. Repairing of your unit will be continued by our technician."  I have received no update since in spite of contacting support twice.

I am extremely disappointed with this absolutely terrible support for a product I paid dearly for!

I doubt that I will ever purchase another Dell product.

December 17th, 2013 11:00

Sent my tablet to Dell 1st week on November. Like others, the depot repair website said waiting on parts, then released for repair. For the last 5 weeks since Dell received my tablet, I have received update phone calls just reiterating the same info....part is on back order, these have been discontinued...etc. I explained that these continued calls were not a good enough response and asked to get my next call from a supervisor. That was last Wednesday. They said they would get a supervisor to call me back by next Wednesday.

So over the weekend, I checked the depot repair again and .... my tablet was already shipped back to me with a  tracking number. It arrived yesterday(Monday).

And yes - the restore partition is back and yes it is running vanilla Windows RT and not the upgraded 8.1 (No Outlook). I even performed a refresh to ensure the restore functionality would work, and it did.

So, if I upgrade to 8.1 again, then I will likely be unable to restore or refresh or even factory reset the device. Microsoft made the restore image available for the Microsoft Surface. The least Dell could do is make the original RT image available for restore to factory after the 8.1 upgrade for those who want to recycle the device to another user.  

So lets face it. These are not computers - they are commodities. I paid $270 and got mine refurbished. Can't expect the same support and after sales updates, etc. that you get with a $1200 XPS8700 desktop.

Reality sets in. Will probably find a trade-in site to give me cash/credit for the device now that it is repaired.

Good luck to all - ask to speak to a supervisor.

16 Posts

December 18th, 2013 01:00

Mine too 3 weeks (including a chase up call) to get back.  Again the issue was noted by Dell as requiring parts and when I received the device back the packing slip claimed they had replaced the main board.  Maybe quicker in terms of engineer time that reimaging or perhaps a means by which to solve any other underlying issues?  Who knows!

Anyway, I upgraded to Win8.1 and chose to leave the recovery partitions in place.  I saved off the recovery partition to an external USB both before and after the update and tested the ability to refresh and reset the device post 8.1 update.  I wanted to be sure that everything was working as it should be upon receipt of the device and coincidentally before my RTB warranty expired!

Fingers crossed, all seems to be OK.

As noted previously, it seems strange that Dell can't provide an 8.1 image for undertaking bare metal recovery.  You'd think that it would save them a lot of support time and warranty calls. 

I'm disappointed that RT hasn't been more successful (another story).  That in my opinion is why hardware vendors such as Dell have abandoned it as a platform.  12 months ago, it seemed to have a lot of potential but the major software vendors have failed to embrace it (it took 8 months for official versions of Twitter & Facebook to arrive) and without applications, the device is pretty much limited to office and a web-browser and some pretty third rate stuff in the Store. 

No Events found!