Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2017 23:00

XPS 13 2-1 (9365) and Dell PN556W Pen: top buttons stop working on reboot

I have a new XPS 13 2 in 1 (9365).

Also bought the PN556W.

At first it seemed everything was fine. Paired perfectly, writes well, top buttons open OneNote and can be configured in the pen control panel for other shortcuts etc.

However, every reboot/restart I need to repair the pen as the top buttons stop working.

- I notice that after a reboot the pen is reported as "PAIRED", but not "CONNECTED" in the Windows 10 bluetooth settings page.

- when I re-pair the pen, the status changes from "PAIRED" to "CONNECTED" again and all is fine until the next restart.

- sometimes when exiting sleep or standby the same problem will happen.

Any ideas ? Could this be a bug in Windows 10 Creators Update (1703).

Very annoying behaviour.

532 Posts

June 20th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

The issue that you’ve reported is a known issue after the Windows 10 creators update. Clicking on the Dell Active Pen PN556W Bluetooth button while the Operating System and Services/Processes are still loading will not launch the relevant application immediately.

We are working with the suppliers for a permanent solution on this issue. We request you to bear until we get an answer from them.

As a workaround, you can try the following mentioned steps:

1. Un-pair and re-pair the pen with the system via Bluetooth. After pairing is complete, the Bluetooth button press function will recover immediately.
2. User can choose to wait for the system to be fully loaded. This can take up to a few minutes depending on system and number of Services/Processes to be loaded.

Let us know if you any queries for us.

3 Posts

June 20th, 2017 07:00

Thanks very much - this gives me hope a permanent solution will be found :)

Am using the work-around you've suggested in the meantime.

(but still pulling my hair out !)

532 Posts

June 20th, 2017 09:00

Yes that is correct. You can be rest assured that there will be a solution for this. Meanwhile, please try the suggested steps and check if the issue re-occurs. Have a good one.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2017 02:00

Hi

Is there any news on an updated driver / fix for this issue yet ?

Thank you

4 Posts

August 11th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

I have a brand new 8285 with PN557W and have the same issue.

The workaround does not help, so the active button is useless unless I do the pairing again.

Please advice.

Regards

AR

4 Posts

August 12th, 2017 03:00

In addition: I have Anniversary release installed and the pen stops working after a few minutes after pairing. Really annoying.

Regards

4 Posts

August 12th, 2017 03:00

I meant Latitude 5285...

September 28th, 2017 03:00

is there any update on this as it is now nearly October with no sign of any fix in sight, this is terrible customer service as the issue above was first logged in June. I have bought an expensive pen to give my expensive laptop and it is just not good enough that only half of the pens features work. I did not have this problem with my surface pro 3 and pen.

1 Message

November 20th, 2017 12:00

Dear Lijo,

I have the problem with my new PN556W.  When I restart it disconnects form the system and I can't use it to access the shortcuts.   Is their any update on a solution on this regard.

1 Message

January 15th, 2018 09:00

Having same issue with XPS13 and Active Pen.  Is there a patch I can install or a permanent fix yet?

Thanks,

DJ

1 Message

January 20th, 2018 05:00

Hi guys, personally I've resolved lots of problems with my Dell Latitude 5285 and pn557w simply unistalling the Dell stylus driver and installing directly the Wacom driver (Bamboo ink stylus).

This is the link to the latest driver. 

You can notice that is the same software (Dell changend logo, pen picture and removed some functionalities like the radial menu) but in some way resolved my problems

4 Posts

May 25th, 2018 08:00

Maniron

I tried your link for the Wacom drivers, I install it and Presto, it fix my problem.  Now the top button of the 557 works consistently even after my computer going to sleep when it comes back up the 557 styles top button works perfectly.

Thanks.

4 Posts

May 25th, 2018 08:00

I have the same issue with Dell 5285 and 557 Pen, after boot the top button disconnects.  Any answer yet or fix?

1 Message

February 18th, 2019 23:00

I had the same problem, Installed the wacom driver and it's working so far, even displays the battery status and radial menu.

1 Message

April 16th, 2020 06:00

Hello,

has a definitive workaround been found since then by DELL? I have exactly the same issue with PN557W and Latitude 7390 2-in-1. De-installing, re-installing, DELL Drivers, original WACOM drivers, whatever… always the same issue: top button of the pen remains without function after reboot. Only redoing Bluetooth pairing brings back its function … till next reboot.

Has anybody an advice?

Thank you

No Events found!