Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2013 20:00

XPS10 Keyboard Dock battery discharges AFTER the main Tablet battery

When the XPS 10 is docked with optional keyboard dock, I have observed the battery priority for discharge starts with the TABLET while the 2nd battery in the keyboard dock remains at 100%. This makes no logical sense since you'd naturally want the keyboard dock battery to drain 1st since you'd want the most charge in the tablet so we you "undock" tablet you would still have 100% battery life remaining.

Are there any plans to address this concern with a software or firmware update? Or even some sort of battery management utility?

May 2nd, 2013 17:00

Still waiting for response

To whom it may concern,

This battery discharge priority issue continues to be a real issue amd negative customer experience.

Anyone that uses the keyboard dock and has children who like to play games can quickly relate to the following scenario:

You spend most of the afternoon with keyboard docked and responding to emails or creating word documents than when the kids get home from school they want to "have fun" so they ask to play their favorite game on the XPS 10 tablet like "Fruit Ninja".

This is a "pure touch screen" game and keyboard actually gets in the way so you "undock" the keyboard which has 90% battery life.

Then you get a pop-up warning saying your tablet has a"Low Battery" and you better plug in your power adapter. WHAT???

I mean minute ago whne you tablet was docked it seem so much battery life left!!! So there you go .... Sad and frustrating customer experience!  :-( 

1.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 00:00

Hi James_Hinojosa,

I understand your concern. However, there are no BIOS updates or change in settings required. It is working as designed. The dock and the tablet battery works parallel. When connected to dock the tablet battery discharges faster than the dock battery.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist.

7 Posts

May 9th, 2013 08:00

I agree with James, having the Tablet and Dock, it's really stupid battery management. It's also been highlighted in some reviews.

"It is working as designed" Well it's been designed BADLY.

May 11th, 2013 10:00

i just got off the phone with dell support and they have placed another request in with their team to have this looked at. they see that charge goes from the keyboard to the tablet only after the tablet is discharged and that this can be done in reverse. they said that we can look on this page for update and to call and request more action as needed. the more people that call in the sooner this firmware update will be implemented. this is a great device and with this one change it sill be so much better.

May 13th, 2013 10:00

another thread with the same issue,

if you have this issue call it in to dell and request it.

en.community.dell.com/.../19507174.aspx

May 13th, 2013 10:00

"charge the tablet first" and "discharge the tablet last". 

May 23rd, 2013 08:00

What is the status on making it possible to run the tablet off the battery in the dock first and off its own battery second?

1 Message

June 8th, 2013 10:00

just got my XPS 10 and for the most part excited - however the battery drain pattern is illogical and to be honest - incredibly stupid.

Who at Dell is responsible for User Experience?  The competition is going to kill you - they get that using the tablet with keyboard on battery would use the keyboard first.  At a minimum use a pass through from the keyboard to the tablet.

June 10th, 2013 09:00

This video shows a tech blogger reviewing the dell xps 10 before it was launched. In it he describes how the power system will work. Was this the originally plan, to discharge the dock first? Why has it not been implemented?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WXzcXQ-o20c#t=84s

6 Posts

July 5th, 2013 13:00

The "working as designed' can be a true statement, but it's a flawed design. There isn't another tablet that I know with a docking keyboard that behaves like the Dell XPS 10. This demonstrates that whatever logic the designer had was very flawed and illogical.

Remember that this is a tablet first and second a "laptop" . The priority of the dock is trivial given that at the worst case, the user can use the touchscreen and/or an external Bluetooth keyboard. The correct logic to maximize the battery life of a tablet + dock is:

1. Charge the tablet first, then charge the dock

2. Discharge the dock first, then discharge the tablet

2 Posts

July 9th, 2013 14:00

KevinN206 is absolutely right. So please Dell support, change it.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2013 17:00

I posted in the other thread but to summarise - I would rather they didn't just switch it to the other way round as there are some merits to their current approach although it's very poorly implemented. One of the following would be great:

1) A slider from 0% - 100% which controls the amount of tablet battery to drain before the dock kicks in and drains fully. (IDEAL)

2) Two modes to select - 'Work' and 'Play' - the former drains the tablet to 25% remaining , the latter drains the tablet to 75% remaining before the dock kicks in and drains fully. 

2 Posts

May 10th, 2014 09:00

Agree with the comments and would also say that even though it may have been designed this way in the view of most owners (inc me!) it would be great to be able to at least have the choice in the power management settings somewhere:

Suggested Battery behaviour menu options:

1) When the devoce is not connected to mains power would you like to use the tablet or keyboard battery first?

2) When plugged in would you like to charge tablet or keyboard battery first?

Surely this is not an unreasonable proposition.

Thanks and regards, from an otherwise completely satisfied Dell customer!

29 Posts

July 5th, 2014 09:00

Hi James_Hinojosa,

I understand your concern. However, there are no BIOS updates or change in settings required. It is working as designed. The dock and the tablet battery works parallel. When connected to dock the tablet battery discharges faster than the dock battery.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist.

That is not correct. The dock battery does not show significant usage until the tablet battery is fully depleted. Additionally, the dell literature and troubleshooting clearly state that the dock battery is used first. Please check your own specs before assuring others of incorrect information.
No Events found!