The "working as designed' can be a true statement, but it's a flawed design. There isn't another tablet that I know with a docking keyboard that behaves like the Dell XPS 10. This demonstrates that whatever logic the designer had was very flawed and illogical.
Remember that this is a tablet first and second a "laptop" . The priority of the dock is trivial given that at the worst case, the user can use the touchscreen and/or an external Bluetooth keyboard. The correct logic to maximize the battery life of a tablet + dock is:
1. Charge the tablet first, then charge the dock
2. Discharge the dock first, then discharge the tablet
I posted in the other thread but to summarise - I would rather they didn't just switch it to the other way round as there are some merits to their current approach although it's very poorly implemented. One of the following would be great:
1) A slider from 0% - 100% which controls the amount of tablet battery to drain before the dock kicks in and drains fully. (IDEAL)
2) Two modes to select - 'Work' and 'Play' - the former drains the tablet to 25% remaining , the latter drains the tablet to 75% remaining before the dock kicks in and drains fully.
Agree with the comments and would also say that even though it may have been designed this way in the view of most owners (inc me!) it would be great to be able to at least have the choice in the power management settings somewhere:
Suggested Battery behaviour menu options:
1) When the devoce is not connected to mains power would you like to use the tablet or keyboard battery first?
2) When plugged in would you like to charge tablet or keyboard battery first?
Surely this is not an unreasonable proposition.
Thanks and regards, from an otherwise completely satisfied Dell customer!
That is not correct. The dock battery does not show significant usage until the tablet battery is fully depleted. Additionally, the dell literature and troubleshooting clearly state that the dock battery is used first. Please check your own specs before assuring others of incorrect information.
I understand your concern. However, there are no BIOS updates or change in settings required. It is working as designed. The dock and the tablet battery works parallel. When connected to dock the tablet battery discharges faster than the dock battery.
Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist.