swaminathankp
1 Copper

will the UNLOCKED Dell Streak work in India (a foreign carrier)?

Jump to solution

I want to order a Dell Streak (New Cherry Red 16GB Unlocked with Android 2.2 for $399 from http://www.dell.com/us/p/mobile-streak/fs?3x_page=2&filterCollapsed=false) through a friend in the US for my use in India.  I have got a mixed response from the Dell online chat support, with some representatives saying that the device will work in India, while the others say that it will be limited to T-mobile or AT&T.  Which of this is correct? 

I want to know if it is possible to buy Dell Streak in the US that is completely sim-unlocked and can be used in India.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spectre51
2 Iron

Re: will the UNLOCKED Dell Streak work in India (a foreign carrier)?

Jump to solution

the unlocked streak should work on any carrier that supports the frequencies the streak uses with no other carrier limitations

15 Replies
Highlighted
prasadKnew
1 Copper

Jump to solution

HI, I would also like to know if it will work on foreign carriers ?

0 Kudos
spectre51
2 Iron

Jump to solution

If those carriers use the same network bands as AT&T or T-Mobile (though no 3g) then yes.

0 Kudos
swaminathankp
1 Copper

Jump to solution

ok.. so what are the bands that T-mobile and AT&T use?  Also, why not 3G? For 3G again, it would be a question of the bands rite?

0 Kudos
spectre51
2 Iron

Jump to solution

T-Mobile uses different gsm frequencies for 3g than AT&T.

AT&T is using 1900 MHz & 850 MHz for 3G. T-Mobile will use 1700 MHz  and 2100 MHz for upload.  So the phone will work on normal 2G speeds on T-Mobile just not the 3g network because the streak doesn't  support the 3g freq that t-mobile utilizes.

0 Kudos
swaminathankp
1 Copper

Jump to solution

ok got it.. so is it correct to say that other than the operating frequencies, there is nothing else that would prevent it from working on foreign carriers?  I am just wondering if there would be any locking based on network identification.  (I am referring to the UNLOCKED streak here, that retails for $399).

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
spectre51
2 Iron

Jump to solution

the unlocked streak should work on any carrier that supports the frequencies the streak uses with no other carrier limitations

swaminathankp
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos
sathyaiyer
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Will the Unlocked 16GB streak @ $399 bought in US work in India with all Indian carriers ? Also OTA upgradation to Froyo happen in India since i dont intend to open it in US. How will the warranty work in this case. Does it have an International warranty.

0 Kudos
spectre51
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Unlocked means it will work on any carrier that has the network bands the phone supports as I listed above.  So it depends on what frequencies your carrier supports.  The upgrade to 2.2 will happen via wifi no matter what because the update server is looking for the baseband of the device.  The unlocked devices have a different baseband version than locked phones.

0 Kudos