Highlighted
aswokei
1 Copper

Are the designated management ports the only way you can manage the Unity?

Jump to solution

The Unity has designated management ports on some of the SPs, but I was wondering if it's possible to manage the Unity inband--using the same ports that are used for storage.  Is that possible?  What are the management options?  Does it have to out of band?  I couldn't find anything useful in the manuals.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are the designated management ports the only way you can manage the Unity?

Jump to solution

Hi aswokei,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Please elaborate/clarify if you could.

If you mean GUI management: then yes, only via the mgmt ports.

You can also monitor / manage a Unity system with other tools remotely such as UEMCLI (Unity CLI), RestAPI, Unisphere Central, and a few more tools.

On the service ports, IPMI is also available for access but this is something else (search the Unity support pages for IPMI tool).

In any case: the other network interfaces (for iSCSI, NAS, etc) cannot be used to manage the system.

You also say: "The Unity has designated management ports on some of the SPs". This is not correct entirely. Not "some", but all. Unity has two SPs, and both have a management interface, however only the primary SP provides access at any given time.

Hope this helps

Andre @ Dell EMC

Andre @ Dell EMC
*** If this answered your question, please remember to mark this thread as resolved/answered ***
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Are the designated management ports the only way you can manage the Unity?

Jump to solution

Hi aswokei,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Please elaborate/clarify if you could.

If you mean GUI management: then yes, only via the mgmt ports.

You can also monitor / manage a Unity system with other tools remotely such as UEMCLI (Unity CLI), RestAPI, Unisphere Central, and a few more tools.

On the service ports, IPMI is also available for access but this is something else (search the Unity support pages for IPMI tool).

In any case: the other network interfaces (for iSCSI, NAS, etc) cannot be used to manage the system.

You also say: "The Unity has designated management ports on some of the SPs". This is not correct entirely. Not "some", but all. Unity has two SPs, and both have a management interface, however only the primary SP provides access at any given time.

Hope this helps

Andre @ Dell EMC

Andre @ Dell EMC
*** If this answered your question, please remember to mark this thread as resolved/answered ***
0 Kudos