Re: Ask the Expert: Meet the EMC Unity Family

Hello Chris,

Do you know if there are any documents for any specific setting or procedure for SANCOPY from VNX to UnityVSA migration?

Thanks,

Hiroki

0 Kudos
mikko1
1 Copper

Hi,

Are there any plans to add similar file compression that we have on the VNX to Unitys NAS shares? Single instance storage and file based compression where you can use file age and type as a file by file basis for compression decision?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Aquino1
1 Copper

I have a customer configuration using RecoverPoint CRR, and we replicate File and Block using RPAs, for a Disaster Recovery Plan, as I understand of the Unity, it works more as a VNXe, so in File protocol It's not possible to replicate using FC between sites, am I right?

Regards,

Aquino

0 Kudos
chenw87
2 Bronze

Correct. File replication through RecoverPoint is not available but Unity has native asynchronous file replication capabilities.

0 Kudos
Aquino1
1 Copper

I understand the file replication is native, the main problem is that between sites the only dark fibre connection is used for FC, they use the "lambdas" at 8 Gbps FC, because is more efficient than 1Gbps Ethernet, they don't want their MPLS connection to be used for file replication. I guess Unity is not for them.

Regards!

0 Kudos

Hello All,

A few questions, sorry if some of them are already there ...

Compression is planned Q4 2016. Let's suppose we got a Unity array without this feature, and we want to implement the compression, what happens to the data already stored and how do we compress it ? Is it made at lun level ? pool level ?

Will we need to upgrade the array and reboot the controllers to activate compression ?

What about full support for the combo VPLEX-UNITY-VIPR ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

What is the realistic compression ratio expected ? (no video/noimagery/no vdi).

0 Kudos
rawandzz
1 Copper

Hello dear,

so file compression won't be supported and it is just block compression ?

0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Osmium

Enabled per LUN

Needs software NDU

0 Kudos
boyler05
3 Argentium

I have been playing with the new Consistency Group feature on the Unity VSA.  It works great with Block LUNs, but I have a bunch of VMware Datastores (iSCSI Block, but created under "VMware" rather than "Block" section of the GUI).  I can't seem to add the VMware Datastores into a Consistency Group.  Does Unity not support CG's for VMware Datastores (unless created as "Generic LUNs")?

0 Kudos