Highlighted
jonathan.tarro
1 Copper

DFS-R Member is running a down level operating system

Jump to solution

Wanting to set up DFS replication on my Unity 300 but I get the error "The member is running a down level operating system".  Does anyone have DFS-R setup with their Unity or have knowledge of it not being possible with the Unity's?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
crklosterman
3 Argentium

Re: DFS-R Member is running a down level operating system

Jump to solution

Jonathan,

VNX, Unity, and Isilon all support acting as DFS Leafs, however, none of them support DFSR (certainly someone from one of those product groups can correct me if that has changed).  It's my understanding that historically only NetApp has offered this particular feature [not plugging NetApp on an EMC forum, just talking reality].

The important question is why are you trying to use DFSR? Is to replicate from your Unity box to something else (heterogeneous replication)?  Or instead to have both sides be writeable at all times within a single global namespace?  There are other ways to skin that cat as the saying goes.  Small plug: If you're looking for heterogeneous NAS synchronization (1-way); say Windows file servers to Unity as an example, then my company's software, DobiMiner can certainly do that for you in a continuous and ongoing manner with md5 hashes of every single file.   If instead, it's just some tiny share like an HR handbook that you want available at all sites, then perhaps DFSR on Windows domain controllers might be a good approach.

DFSR can be nice, but these days there are usually better options.

~Chris Klosterman

Principal SE, Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

0 Kudos
3 Replies
crklosterman
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Jonathan,

VNX, Unity, and Isilon all support acting as DFS Leafs, however, none of them support DFSR (certainly someone from one of those product groups can correct me if that has changed).  It's my understanding that historically only NetApp has offered this particular feature [not plugging NetApp on an EMC forum, just talking reality].

The important question is why are you trying to use DFSR? Is to replicate from your Unity box to something else (heterogeneous replication)?  Or instead to have both sides be writeable at all times within a single global namespace?  There are other ways to skin that cat as the saying goes.  Small plug: If you're looking for heterogeneous NAS synchronization (1-way); say Windows file servers to Unity as an example, then my company's software, DobiMiner can certainly do that for you in a continuous and ongoing manner with md5 hashes of every single file.   If instead, it's just some tiny share like an HR handbook that you want available at all sites, then perhaps DFSR on Windows domain controllers might be a good approach.

DFSR can be nice, but these days there are usually better options.

~Chris Klosterman

Principal SE, Datadobi

chris.klosterman@datadobi.com

0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Osmium

Jump to solution

DFS-R replication relies on the NTFS change journal

It doesnt even work with Windows newer reFS or older FAT file systems

To the best of my knowledge there is no non-Windows non-NTFS system on the market that implements DFR-R

I think the Netapp one Chris is referring to was also based on Windows by a 3rd Party Company and is no longer available.

Rainer

0 Kudos
Rainer_EMC
5 Osmium

Jump to solution

does that make sense ?

0 Kudos