Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 16th, 2017 05:00

EMC Unity and Veeam Direct SAN Access

Dear all,

To be able to use the snapshot access type for LUNs on EMC Unity do we need a special license? We want to present a LUN in read only mode to a Veeam Backup Server in Direct SAN mode (based on the documentation “Snapshot” mode on VNX Unity means read only”).

EMC Unity - Fibre Channel Host und LUN Mapping - YouTube

Minute 10:53

Cheers

January 16th, 2017 05:00

Dont think you need a special license.

look at "snapshot attached operation"

https://www.emc.com/collateral/white-papers/h15089-emc-unity-snapshots.pdf

January 19th, 2017 05:00

Actually i think you can't do that. Here are the supported Dell EMC storages for Veeam 9.5 for backup based on storage snapshots.

Backup from Storage Snapshots —Veeam Availability Suite

Supported storage:

For Dell EMC:

• Dell EMC VNX
  • Dell EMC VNX2
  • Dell EMC VNXe

You will need to do this only with direct SAN, but Veeam will create the snapshot in VMware and read the data directly from the storage. It is not necessary put the LUNs in read only mode, just present it to the veeam backup server after the veeam application is installed, Veeam will mark as read only automatically.

I hope this information helps you.

Francisco

8.6K Posts

August 27th, 2018 14:00

Akash010 wrote:

Hi Francisco,

Thank-you for the detailed explanation for VEEAM, but in the link I can see Unity EMC storage is also supported with VEEAM.
May I know how can we Unity integrated with VEEAM to have snapshot backup?

this post is 19 months old - at that time Unity wasnt supported - now it is

For detailed information please see the VEEAM documentation or inquire with VEEAM support

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2018 14:00

Hi Francisco,

Thank-you for the detailed explanation for VEEAM, but in the link I can see Unity EMC storage is also supported with VEEAM.
May I know how can we Unity integrated with VEEAM to have snapshot backup?

No Events found!