TonyJK2
3 Argentium

FC Ports for Unity 300 and direct connection to ESXi Host

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our CX4-240 SAN with 2 old ESXi Hosts to Unity 300 with 2 new ESXi Hosts. 

Question 1

========

We would like to know how many FC Ports come with Unity 300 Standard Configuration ? 

Question 2

========

A fellow says that we can purchase additional IO module so that we will be getting FC Ports.  In this way, we can connect those ESXi Hosts to Unity 300 without any FC Switches.  What is the maximum number of FC Switches we can get ?  Is there any document mentioning the IO module ?

Question 3

========

Previously, we perform WWN zoning in the FC Switch, how zoning should be done if we connect those 2 ESXi Hosts to the SAN ?  Can I find any document or blog mentions the zoning ?

Question 4

========

Do we need to get a temporary FC Switch during data migration ?

Many thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveK821
3 Argentium

Re: FC Ports for Unity 300 and direct connection to ESXi Host

Jump to solution

Answer 1: the Unity comes with 2 onboard CNA Ports (Converged Network Adapter) per SP as standard, 4 in total. These ports are factory configured for either 16Gbit FC or 10Gbit Ethernet.

Answer 2: You can add up to 2 I/O Modules per SP. FC I/O Modules have 4 ports each. So you could have 6 or 10 FC Ports per SP.

There is a hardware information guide here:

https://www.emc.com/collateral/TechnicalDocument/docu69319.pdf

Both SPs must be identically configured.

Answer 3: Zoning is still the same. WWN zoning or Port Zoning is allowed. Just make sure each host can "see" each SP in Zoning so VMware Multipathing will work properly.

Answer 4: Not sure if you need a temporary FC switch. It would be easier if all ESX servers could see both storage systems. Then you can migrate VMs online using storage vMotion.

I don't know the prices, but you could compare the cost of an I/O Module pair with the cost of 2 BR6505 switches (minimum config is 12 ports per switch)

Regards,

Stephen

2 Replies
SteveK821
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Answer 1: the Unity comes with 2 onboard CNA Ports (Converged Network Adapter) per SP as standard, 4 in total. These ports are factory configured for either 16Gbit FC or 10Gbit Ethernet.

Answer 2: You can add up to 2 I/O Modules per SP. FC I/O Modules have 4 ports each. So you could have 6 or 10 FC Ports per SP.

There is a hardware information guide here:

https://www.emc.com/collateral/TechnicalDocument/docu69319.pdf

Both SPs must be identically configured.

Answer 3: Zoning is still the same. WWN zoning or Port Zoning is allowed. Just make sure each host can "see" each SP in Zoning so VMware Multipathing will work properly.

Answer 4: Not sure if you need a temporary FC switch. It would be easier if all ESX servers could see both storage systems. Then you can migrate VMs online using storage vMotion.

I don't know the prices, but you could compare the cost of an I/O Module pair with the cost of 2 BR6505 switches (minimum config is 12 ports per switch)

Regards,

Stephen

crklosterman
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Google BR6505 and funny-enough, there is an Amazon listing.  $7,694.35 per switch for the curious, though I won't link to it here.  But I'll agree with StephenKebbell here, to make it easy you really want to move these VMs over with SVMotion, not SANCopy Push, or anything like that, because then they would have to be off.