3 Argentum

How much SSD Tier for a hybrid one?

Hi all

Is there a general advice or white paper about how much SSD capacity (tier) we should install in a pool for tiering? 20%?

Cheers and thanks

Labels (1)
6 Replies
5 Rhenium

Re: How much SSD Tier for a hybrid one?

See the Unity Best Practices White Paper

h15093-Dell_EMC_Unity-Best_Practices_Guide.pdf

glen

3 Argentum

Well the statement looks like "put us much as possible" which is not really a quiantifier any recommendation based on your experience?

0 Kudos
5 Rhenium

Page 13:

Dell EMC recommends provisioning a Flash tier in hybrid pools. The Flash tier helps enable pool performance efficiencies, and improves response times when using Snapshots and/or Replication. The minimum recommended Flash capacity is at least 5% of the pool capacity.

The minimum should be at least one, 4+1 R5 - more is the size of the Pool is very large, then use the 5% recommendation.

Also, pay particular attention to the section on page 11 "GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS".

glen

6 Indium

I would see that as a minimum - esp. for thin provisioning since this also includes the metadata which is preferably put on flash

So if you want 5% user data on flash you need more than that

3 Argentum

Hi both,

Thanks very much I think I can work with this! I appreciate your patience and engagement.

Cheers

0 Kudos
5 Rhenium

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer.

Remembering to mark the question Answered helps others with similar problems and awarding points helps motivate people to take the time answer you questions. Forgetting this may affect responsiveness.

glen

0 Kudos